Salt, Sugar, Fat

Options
Has anyone else read the book Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss? Did you find it helpful in helping you change your diet? Did you notice an improvement in your life because of it?

For me it has made me look at my love affair with cheese and ice cream.

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I have not read it. I assume it's another book saying these things are evil and we should revolt. I just have to assume a lot of this stems from societies unhealthy relationship with food and not the food itself's fault. I've learned portion control in my life and that is how I'm getting healthy. I'm not planning on ever cutting out fast food, ice cream, pizza. None of those things made me fat or made me unhealthy. I did that by ignoring my bodies nutrient needs and over consumption.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Loved it. It really makes you see commercials differently.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    It also has helped me in the grocery store. I see why the put high fat ,sugar ,and salty products when you enter the store. For many it helps stimulate the appetite which makes you want to eat and to buy more. Those treats are at the check out line for a reason. They are hoping for an impulsive sale. Knowing this helps me to be a more informed shopper. I know the produce aisle is my friend. I also go in with a list. I stick to it.
    I am not saying I will never eat cheese or ice cream again. I just know it is a treat and will enjoy them when I do eat them instead of eating them everyday. It will be my choice and I will plan for the extra calories by cutting down somewhere else or do some additional exercise.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yes I have read it. It is by the same NY Times writer that exposed pink slim (and he won the Pulitzer for that) and exposes how the food manufactures have hooked us on those foods. I have changed to a low carb diet and feel so much better and losing great. I highly recommend it for every one. If you know how food is made, you'll back off those processed junk - for example, cereal is allowed to contain mouse droppings. Now doesn't that sound yummy!
  • slstayer
    Options
    I thought it was a great book. I have a lot of trouble with sweet cravings but then want something salty afterwards. It really opened my eyes as to how processed foods are engineered to have the perfect amount of salt, sugar and fat (the "bliss point") and the more you eat them, the more you crave them. I have definitely been more aware of the ingredients in the foods I have been eating and makes me aware that my cravings are caused by eating the exact items I am craving!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't agree with it entirely. My view is sugar = not so good, salt = don't see the problem with it, fat = very good nutrient when it comes from natural animal and plant sources. The problem with carbs and sugar eating epidemic is overshadowed by two other factors that do not contribute to problems. It's like blaming the sibling of a criminal for committing a crime.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Books like that lead people the wrong way. I think the whole post-modernism about marketing from fast food chains and supermarket "tricks of the trade" has been blown way out of proportion. It's up to you whether you are responsible enough to ignore something in a supermarket aisle or whether you buy it and blame clever advertising methods to get you to buy it. In the same way one mgiht give in to peer pressure to smoke or do drugs, it's your fault if you get addicted. You should have been more responsible and just say no. It's a similar thing when the media blew up the whole "Nutella claims to be part of a healthy breakfast but is really just full of sugar and oil". If people had any basic common sense they would turn the jar around and read the ingredients themselves.

Ice cream, cheesecake and Nutella aren't "bad for you" at all. Unless you are diabetic and need to avoid large amount of sugar or your doctor has told you to reduce your level of sugar then Nutella, cheesecake or ice cream is fine to eat. From my experience those who tell you to eat "100% 'clean', 100% of the time otherwise you won't get 100% results because you didn't follow the diet and training like I told you to" are those who have a huge popularity through social media, eg fitness models who are juicing their brains out and claiming to be drug free. Even Robert Lustig's bitter truth about sugar is just some coke and bull to get you to go to his lectures, buy his articles and buy his books. His research has been heavily criticised and all he did, and all he has done, is refer people back to his studies.

In a broader sense, it's up to you what newspaper you read. If it's a tabloid rather than a broadsheet, or whether it's a middle market daily rather than a broadsheet. You need to take responsibility for your actions come to an informed decision about whether you want to spend your time reading a piece of garbage of a newspaper or piece of journalism or whether you want to read a relatively unbiased opinion based on the accepted facts at the time of the event.
  • margaretturk
    Options
    What I find interesting is when the author interviewed the the people behind the big food companies they do not usually eat their products. A former higher up at coke left coke because he did not want to be part of marketing coke to Brazil where the population could not afford it. He is now marketing baby carrots to make up for his days at coke. He will do a great job!

Advertiser are very smart. I just think it helps to be informed and realize what are some of the marketing techniques that are being used. I am relooking at labels of the foods I eat.. Like I said I do not indeed to give up ice cream and cheese. Instead of being the heavy user I was I will now be a light user. My body is already starting to thank me for the change.

The reason I liked the book is it is helping me reduce foods I know are not in my best interest to my health.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    these are a few of my favorite things...
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've read it and I think his work is poorly sourced in regards to fat, and the studies he does source are out of context. If anything, Americans should be eating much, much more fat (and less sugar, and less carbs, which he mentions). However, his look at marketing and advertising was spot-on - capitalism is an interesting thing in that it supposedly keeps the market healthy, but it does absolutely nothing to keep humans healthy.

Haroon - I agree that everyone is responsible for their own decisions, but big food corportations make it very hard for the average joe to make good decisions due to deliberately putting out false information. A small example, it's pretty common knowledge that peanut butter is healthy, right? It's a great source of healthy fats, fiber, and a little protein. However, almost all peanut butter in the grocery store, and certainly the kind that most americans are used to, are modified heavily with sugar and trans fats are actually very unhealthy. A busy mom or a college kid on a budget is just gonna swipe it off the shelf, believing they are making a responsible choice.
  • margaretturk
    Options
    I've read it and I think his work is poorly sourced in regards to fat, and the studies he does source are out of context. If anything, Americans should be eating much, much more fat (and less sugar, and less carbs, which he mentions). However, his look at marketing and advertising was spot-on - capitalism is an interesting thing in that it supposedly keeps the market healthy, but it does absolutely nothing to keep humans healthy.

Well said. I agree about the fat too. I am trying to make those fats more from nuts and avocados.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I recently listened to this audiobook. It was fascinating and appalling at the same time. Corporations that we trusted (Kellogg, Nestle, Kraft, Oscar Meyer, etc.) sacrificed quality and nutrition in the relentless pursuit of market share and profitability, while the government largely ignored it. No, they aren’t solely responsible, of course there is personal responsibility involved in what you consume, but they certainly greased the skids as this country descended into the obese mess that it is today.

It was especially interesting in regard to products targeted at children like cereal, Lunchables, juice boxes, etc., and the trickery that went into marketing these things (“eating frosted mini-wheats makes your kids smarter!” “100% natural & contains fresh fruit! (fruit juice from concentrate almost totally depleted of any nutritional value)”.

The food industry preyed upon the desire for convenience when the country transitioned to two-income households and the lack of consumer sophistication in understanding the consequences of dumping sugar/salt/fat into the food supply in order to hook people and increase its shelf life.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I've not read the book, but I am a big fan of Michael Mosley.

I'll have to take a look.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It has made me more aware of the advertising and marketing to get us to buy. I have become a better shopper and read labels even more than I did before.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I recently listened to this audiobook. It was fascinating and appalling at the same time. Corporations that we trusted (Kellogg, Nestle, Kraft, Oscar Meyer, etc.) sacrificed quality and nutrition in the relentless pursuit of market share and profitability, while the government largely ignored it. No, they aren’t solely responsible, of course there is personal responsibility involved in what you consume, but they certainly greased the skids as this country descended into the obese mess that it is today.

It was especially interesting in regard to products targeted at children like cereal, Lunchables, juice boxes, etc., and the trickery that went into marketing these things (“eating frosted mini-wheats makes your kids smarter!” “100% natural & contains fresh fruit! (fruit juice from concentrate almost totally depleted of any nutritional value)”.

The food industry preyed upon the desire for convenience when the country transitioned to two-income households and the lack of consumer sophistication in understanding the consequences of dumping sugar/salt/fat into the food supply in order to hook people and increase its shelf life.

I also listened to it in audible format, and I agree with your take on it. In addition to what you said, I also thought it was interesting from a historical aspect. I don't blame the food companies. Neither did the author. They exist to sell food. It was however interesting to see how they manipulated the blend of fat, salt and sugar (and us) in order to compete and boost profits.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Love the book, right now I'm reading Pandora's Lunchbox.

Gives you a great view of what is being done and how it affects you, it's your call if you want to make a switch or just acknowledge it.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It has made me more aware of the advertising and marketing to get us to buy. I have become a better shopper and read labels even more than I did before.

This.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It also has helped me in the grocery store. I see why the put high fat ,sugar ,and salty products when you enter the store.

At both my mainstream grocery and my WF you enter in the vegetable section. Is this really so unusual?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the whole post-modernism about marketing from fast food chains and supermarket "tricks of the trade" has been blown way out of proportion.

Yes. I admit to really liking some salty, fat, and sweet items. I have some leftover steak from last night that has both fat and salt (and is entirely consistent with my eating plan, even at a pretty low calorie goal), and I admit that I find it incredibly appealing, as I do cheese and various other high fat items, and as explains why salt usually makes food you cook taste better and why fish can taste especially good when cooked in butter. I think blaming marketing misses the point that a lot of these foods have been quite well loved long before marketing played a role. I generally don't eat stuff advertised at all, just because I like to cook and to eat at small local restaurants, but that doesn't mean I'm not attracted to plenty of fat, salty, and sweet foods. Ice cream being one example. The question is whether you can eat them in moderation and make them fit your calories.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I prefer my nutritional information from people with actual degrees in nutrition (or related fields) rather than reporters selling books.

To each their own though.