Laptops

Options
13»

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just to update - I just ordered my daughter a Dell. Found a good deal on an Inspiron 15z through my work's employee purchase program.
  • nlawing
    Options
    I use a Lenovo ThinkPad daily at work and was happy enough with them to order an IdeaPad for home and gaming use.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    HP laptops have a long history of overheating problems and they are very unresponsive about it (google it!)

ASUS makes their own motherboards and has the heat issue worked out well. I stick with them for laptops usually (I prefer to buy a cheap $400 laptop every year instead of spending $8-1200 for a "great" one every few years... I get always newer technology and since the old ones dont usually die I have multiple ones to rely on! or swap parts if one does die).

It will be very hard to buy one with Windows 7 instead of 8... if you end up with Win 8 and hate it (most people do :) ) - look into a program called "Start 8" or "Classic Shell" . Havent tried them since I havent stayed with Win 8 yet, but it will make it look more like Windows 7 and life is much easier :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    ASUS makes their own motherboards and has the heat issue worked out well. I stick with them for laptops usually (I prefer to buy a cheap $400 laptop every year instead of spending $8-1200 for a "great" one every few years... I get always newer technology and since the old ones dont usually die I have multiple ones to rely on! or swap parts if one does die).

It's so funny and interesting to me that Asus is known for both affordable and super expensive laptops! When people (outside of the gaming world, that is) find out I use an Asus for gaming they're shocked because they think I'm using a "$400 laptop" not a near $2,000 one (that I got on sale for $750 :P )