What made you fall in love with lifting?

Options
I am struggling to enjoy lifting weights. I force myself to do it because of the immeasurable benefits but I definitely still have to force myself. I enjoy cardio very much and even though it’s “hard” it’s not hard like lifting weights is hard. I have been going to the gym 5 or 6 mornings a week for about 8 months and have lifted weights intermittently and not enough to really see any results that I can firmly thank lifting for. So, my question is this…what made you fall in love with lifting? I am looking for little things that I can dwell on to help me look forward to my strength training sessions. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• alexapatel
    alexapatel Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see some responses to this as well. :)
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Me too! :laugh:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Seeing muscle definition made me like lifting.
    Staying the same weight or gaining weight but fitting into smaller clothes made me like lifting.
    Everyday tasks becoming easier because I lift weights.
    Improved my running.
    Less jiggle.
    Feeling like a bada$$
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You will never experience a runners high like you will from lifting- the chenical reaction just isn't there.

It's different.

It's a sense of power- and accomplishment. Not a high.

I walk out of my gym feeling like I'm a motherfncking god. I do not do that when I run. I feel good- but it's not the same.

When you start to get really heavy- if you are doing a real weight training progressive lifting program- you set goals and accomplish them it gains satisfaction.

All the sudden lifting triple digits isnt' scary- it's your warm up. All the sudden your PR is now your OWN body weight.
    All the sudden the idea of lifting 300 some pounds off the floor doesn't' seem like an impossible feat for you.

These things make it satisfying. Keep at it- it gets better as you start gaining.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    lifting weights heavier than guys bigger than me...basically ego
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Staying the same weight or gaining weight but fitting into smaller clothes made me like lifting.
    Improved my running.
    Less jiggle.
    Feeling like a bada$$
    ^
    I - THIS!!!! Definitely you end up shaped differently and in a good way.
    Stronger, leaner and definitely less jiggle
    Makes me feel sexy and strong
    Quick results - within 30 days of heavy lifting 4x per week I was down a size and that for me is strong motivation!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    You will never experience a runners high like you will from lifting- the chenical reaction just isn't there.

It's different.

It's a sense of power- and accomplishment. Not a high.

I walk out of my gym feeling like I'm a motherfncking god. I do not do that when I run. I feel good- but it's not the same.

When you start to get really heavy- if you are doing a real weight training progressive lifting program- you set goals and accomplish them it gains satisfaction.

All the sudden lifting triple digits isnt' scary- it's your warm up. All the sudden your PR is now your OWN body weight.
    All the sudden the idea of lifting 300 some pounds off the floor doesn't' seem like an impossible feat for you.

These things make it satisfying. Keep at it- it gets better as you start gaining.

This. All of this.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    Better sex
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I've lifted since I was 16 - I'm 42 now.

I've been miserable during every single weight training workout I've done. But I think lifting is too important to my health to not do, so I suck it up and power through what I feel I must do.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    Oh this is GREAT stuff. EXACTLY what I was talking about. Thank you so very much everyone!
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Improved my running.
    Less jiggle.
    Feeling like a bada$$
    She said it all, and I will add- increased confidence from said benefits = more fun in the sac.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I only do cardio because i should. However, when i first walked into the gym and saw how beautiful those bodies looked with muscle definition i wanted in. I fell in love with seeing how hard i can push my body out of its comfort zone.

It has changed me so much inside and out and it is like a therapy to me. If im having a bad day i can go workout and not think about it....you cant do both....
  • jendutton5
    jendutton5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lifted in high school to get a college basketball scholarship, I lifted in college because there was a huge strength/conditioning coach telling me I would lift. Then I didn't lift for alot of year. When I finally decided to turn my weight gain into weight loss, I started Chalean Extreme. It is mostly lifting, but combines cardio in several of the workout. I love it because:

1. short workouts, I can always squeeze it in
    2. Big calorie burns
    3. LOSING INCHES
    4. I don't get (as) tired doing fun things anymore (hiking, snowboarding, golfing etc)

I would say pick a routine and stick with it, lifting takes time to see any results. Start slow and then build up. Good luck
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Looking in the mirror one day and saying "hey - that wasnt there before" (definition)

Plus it makes my wife frisky. :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    1.What it has done for my body
    2.How it makes me feel strong and sexy
    3. Gives me bad *kitten* status
    4. Health benefits
    5. Hard in places that used to be jiggly
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    One of the things I really enjoy about lifting is when I'm working in sets with a guy, and have to add weights to the bar. :laugh:

The sense of accomplishment is something I don't get from much else in my life. I had been chasing a 200 lb deadlift for what seemed like forever...the day I lifted that and then some I wanted to run to the top of the buildings and scream it to the world. Yeah, it's nice to go out and run 5 miles, but a LOT of people can accomplish that. Comparatively, not many women can lift their own body weight off the ground. Running makes me feel fit...lifting makes me feel STRONG.
  • jessspurr
    Options

1. short workouts, I can always squeeze it in

This IS pretty awesome.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I like that it's a much shorter little chunk of time. A set is a very short time to focus on. The focus is intense, but it's short.

I like focusing on the muscle that's being worked and really feeling how it is responding.

I like the intensity, and the rest -- instead of the steady state of cardio.

I like moving around and doing different things instead of just sitting on one machine for 45 minutes.

I like adding more weight or more reps than last time. You see improvements in your performance faster with weights than with cardio. It takes me forever to move up a level of resistance, but in two weeks I can add 5 or 10 pounds to a lift.

I like it when the last rep feels like I won't be able to make it, but I do it -- such a sense of accomplishment!

Hope that helps some! Looking over my list, it looks like I have ADD or something. I don't, but I do focus very intensely on what I am doing, so the smaller chunks of time really suits me.
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love the ego boost it gives me, the testosterone, the definition it gives me, the weight loss, the progress in heavier weights, the community of bodybuilding, the health perks, the protein shakes, i love all things bodybuilding.

If lifting isnt your thing but you like cardio, give CrossFit a go, its the 2 together
  • jessspurr
    Options

Improved my running.

I definitely like this