What made you fall in love with lifting?

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I love what it does to my body!!! :love:

Love the look I get when I tell them how much I dead lift, bench press and squat. :bigsmile:

Ohhh and the smaller clothes. :love:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like that it's a much shorter little chunk of time. A set is a very short time to focus on. The focus is intense, but it's short.

LOL- my lifting sessions are way longer than my running sessions- I wish I could go back to that. le-sigh
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i get into this zen like mood in the weight room. so much around me disappears as i am preparing the squat rack or the bench. i forget what is around me and i don't even need music.

and when i'm done with my main lifts, i stop being serious and i start having fun. i have a few exercises that i've planned to do and i enjoy doing them.

it's not always like this. sometimes it's a chore. but the same goes for running. sometimes i lose myself in it, and sometimes i must push myself to do it.
    Nothing.

I've lifted since I was 16 - I'm 42 now.

I've been miserable during every single weight training workout I've done. But I think lifting is too important to my health to not do, so I suck it up and power through what I feel I must do.

that is really upseting, that you've been doing something for almost 30 years that you don't like.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm gathering the sense of pride and accomplishment is a big theme. I have actually noticed that. I am already very strong and always have been so I am able to lift more than some and it does feel kind of awesome to be the only girl in the weight room.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I love upper body days cause of the way I look while lifting....LIKE A BEAST!! (ok maybe not)

I love leg day because....ok no one loves leg day.....but I like it because it's such a good burn. it feels like cardio and lifting at the same time. it gets my heart rate up AND makes my legs feel like jello.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I love upper body days cause of the way I look while lifting....LIKE A BEAST!! (ok maybe not)

I love leg day because....ok no one loves leg day.....but I like it because it's such a good burn. it feels like cardio and lifting at the same time. it gets my heart rate up AND makes my legs feel like jello.

I love leg day- so much so I have 3 of them.

I hate bench- benching sucks. I have evidence of me deadlifting on bench day.

seriously- scouts honor.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Love is a bit strong for me. Tracking calories and lifting is just a fun part of life. You see results, you can track progress. Like a progression game.

If you're just going to the gym and doing like 3x10 on a machine circuit with no real progression plan, I can see how it would be pretty boring.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    Oh my gosh. It totally worked. You guys got me pumped! Thank you all so much!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm gathering the sense of pride and accomplishment is a big theme. I have actually noticed that. I am already very strong and always have been so I am able to lift more than some and it does feel kind of awesome to be the only girl in the weight room.

you know what's awesome is when you break through the "i'm the only girl here" superior attitude... and realize you're in there busting your *kitten* with the guys who look like pro's and THEY respect you... THAT's an awesome feeling.

it's nice to know you rule the roost- it is- there is no denying that- it's neither bad nor good- but there is a level of awesome above that. When you start to get head nods from professionals- it's way more satisfying.

Now go forth....

and be fabulous!!!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I started seeing changes in my body pretty quickly and being a result-motivated young lady, this is what made me fall in love with lifting:) Not much beats being able to trace the outline of your abs!
  • jessspurr
    Options

you know what's awesome is when you break through the "i'm the only girl here" superior attitude... and realize you're in there busting your *kitten* with the guys who look like pro's and THEY respect you... THAT's an awesome feeling.

it's nice to know you rule the roost- it is- there is no denying that- it's neither bad nor good- but there is a level of awesome above that. When you start to get head nods from professionals- it's way more satisfying.

Now go forth....

and be fabulous!!!

QFT.
  • abickford82
    Options
    You'll grow to love it...all I can say is it takes time. I started lifting in April, and did it inconsistently till August. According to my BodyMediaFit by just walking alone after lifting weights I burn 8 cals a minute (I burn 10-12 a minute RUNNING w/o doing weights before) vs. before lifting I only burned 4-5 calories a minute. It's kind of boring at times, but I look at the long term, and what it's done for body recomp. and it's so worth it. Stick with it!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Seeing muscle definition made me like lifting.
    Staying the same weight or gaining weight but fitting into smaller clothes made me like lifting.
    Everyday tasks becoming easier because I lift weights.
    Improved my running.
    Less jiggle.
    Feeling like a bada$$

^^THIS.

It's a different kind of high than what I get from running (which is its own great feeling). The sense of power and confidence from lifting a weight I couldn't budge a few months before. The progression to heavier and heavier weights is awesome.

It shows in my day-to-day life. The things i can move, lift, and just do that were harder before is amazing.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm in year 2 of lifting and I don't love it while I'm doing it. It's hard work, tiring, it hurts (not like bad-hurt but I-can't-barely-get-this-last-rep-in hurt), and I look like a crazy woman doing it. It's a chore to get to the gym, and a chore to get through the workout.

I do love how I look and feel every other waking moment due to lifting. And since I spend roughly 47 times more of my life not lifting than lifting, I suck it up and do it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Now go forth....

and be fabulous!!!
    I would add to that. When other women start to try it out because you have shown them that we can do it, that's a whole new level of awesome right there too!

For myself, I don't think I fell in love with lifting until this year. I had done it for years, because of its health benefits, and I even liked it tremendously on occasion.

I think lifting the 150 pound Atlas stone was the straw that broke the camel's back. I think that was the moment when I was in deep smit and now I can't get enough. Last night during a rest in between deadlifts, I literally thought of wanting to hug the bar! :love:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    At first, the fact that I could up my weights every time, or could go for an extra rep every time was what kept me going. It was progress, and that's exciting.

Then, I found friends on here who are into lifting. Felt like a community, I got to learn a lot from them, see them progress, and that's exciting.

Later on, I noticed my body getting smaller, my arms stopped being flabby and soft and I started seeing muscle definition. That's exciting.

Moved from lifting at home to going to a gym. Met more people who taught me stuff, i see them work hard and it makes me push harder. That's exciting.

My biggest issue with my body was my legs. Thick, but soft, jiggly, flabby, lots of cellulite, etc. I would not wear shorts ever. My legs are now solid. I find myself touching them all the time and it makes me proud and happy. If that's not exciting, i don't know what is.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Putting on my summer dress and noticing that I have a collar bone again! And shoulder muscles...oooohhh :love:

Being able to do WORK around my farm, rather than just following the hubby and being "pretty" (which he is OK with, but damn.)

QUADS.

Groping said quads under my desk at work.

The way my legs look in heels.

The fact that I get results without spending ridiculous amounts of time on the hamster wheel (what I call the treadmill. I am NOT a fan of cardio).

And my alpha female ego LOVES to deadlift 235# and watch the bros eyes get real big. :noway:
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    It just makes me feel so strong. Like I can accomplish anything. I totally get that whole "beast mode" thing now. lol! Cardio is good and I do enjoy it, but it's a different feeling. Also, I'm leaner than I've ever been. My legs are rock hard too. I love that and so does hubby. :wink: So it motivates me to lift even heavier. No jiggles, hard body, happy husband, happy me. :happy: Good luck and keep at it! You'll see results. :flowerforyou:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the way it makes me feel, the way it makes me look, and the way it makes me strong.

I have always been "unique" and even though weightlifting for women is gaining more popularity (which is great!) it's very rare to see a women that looks like she SERIOUSLY lifts and of course does so - hence the uniqueness of it. It's also something I do mostly @ home & am in competition only with myself to get stronger, which is a cool thing for me.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1 - the ability to set and reach simple measurable goals for weight and reps gives you a feeling of accomplishment!
    2 -seeing actual real muscles when I wear a "muscle" shirt.
    3 - at age 66 having a guy half my age comment on the fact that I am lifting more than he is!

Vanity all, but life is short.