Are you a New Years Resolutioner that is still here?...

Options
124»

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Looking back at my email history, I guess you could call me a resolutioner. I ordered a Jawbone UP band online on December 31, 2012. I had dropped a few pounds doing volunteer work in the Fall. Pedometers had worked for me in the past, and I'd had my eye on the UP band since reading about it last October... so when I had the money, I picked one up. It died on me after six weeks and was soon replaced with a Fitbit. I joined MFP around the end of February and started using it for logging in, hmm, I think April.

A year ago, I would get winded climbing two flights of stairs, and walking a half mile to the corner store seemed like kind of a big deal; in fact, that walk was my first regular "workout." Since last December, I've lost 40-45 pounds, dropped my BF% by about 10%, and gone from a bulging size 12-14 to a very comfortable size 6-8 (US sizes). I've been maintaining at or a little below my "ultimate goal weight" for six months. I've walked 17 miles in a day and close to 1,500 miles in a year... climbed over 100 flights of stairs in a day more than once and over 2,400 in the year... been through a fairly major surgical procedure... weaned myself off machines at the gym, set up a weight room at home, and started lifting heavy... deadlifted my body weight... run my first 5K... tried bulking, but found I wasn't very good at it... discovered I could eat more than I thought I could (even including pizza, French fries, onion rings, and frozen yogurt) and maintain or even lose... moved furniture all over the place during home re-modeling.... All in all, it's been a pretty satisfying year.

I still wear my pedometer and log my food on MFP. I hope to get back to lifting next week if I can get the weight room put back together (it's been 3-4 weeks and moving furniture isn't the same!). My next adventure will be Krav Maga training, something I've wanted to do for years that I finally feel like I have a base of fitness to do it well. And yeah, I'm starting sometime in January. I'll probably still be there this time next year, provided it's still fun and it doesn't wreck my strength training completely.

I never thought of this stuff as a "New Year's resolution." I've never made New Year's resolutions. It was just time to get off my butt and on with my life. Pretty much every "goal" I made, I passed long before the time I had thought it would take me. Starting was the hardest part. At some point it clicked that if I quit, I'd have to do the hard part again. Once you get going in the right direction, it's easier to just keep going. So that's what I do now... just keep going.

To this year's "resolutioners," congratulations on starting! :drinker: ... Now keep going. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Sorry for writing a book here... I didn't read the other responses before posting. :embarassed:
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hello, all! I'm new to the site and would just like to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm a blogger and a mom and I would love to lose the baby weight. I think that would be my new year's resolution (and why i was drawn to this thread).

I'm trying to find out what the best fitness plan for me is. I hope to read more of what worked and what didn't for everyone.

Welcome aboard! You'll find a bunch of different fitness plan ideas around here. For me, New Rules of Lifting For Women is doing wonders. I do that 3 days a week , cardio 2 days a week, and eat 1850 cals daily. Find something you enjoy, because the key is sustainability. If you hate an exercise, you're less likely to do it, which makes you more likely to quit. That's kind of a "duh" thing though :wink:

Best wishes!
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    RIGHT HERE :]
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Kinda, joined in February. :-)
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Here since last October! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    awww, this thread got bumped?

benjamin-sisko-wistful-benjamin-sisko-24599898-216-162.gif?w=593
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    ME! I joined in Nov 2011 but didn't use it much until January 2012. I ultimately lost 34lbs; I gained a bit back while on vacation and over the holidays last year. Then I gained some more back when I weaned off a migraine medication. Now, my weight is dramatically up since I'm pregnant! Now using it to gain weight in a "healthy" weight and to lose the weight again after my baby is born.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yup. January 4th, will be one year of logging!
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Two years in January and still checking in every day I can.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Not a resolutioner but more mid-January when I heard about MFP through a nutritionist our company bought in to speak to us.

I was getting the old guy gut and it really bugged me but I couldn't believe I had the will power to lose it.

Thanks to MFP I am now aware of what actual calorie content is in the foods I ate and then it simply became a matter of logging faithfully.

I'm now at goal, 153 lbs, 6' tall and more than 3" off my waist. This has changed my life and I feel great! MFP is incredibly empowering!