GOMAD got me thinking...

Options
If you can drink milk to gain weight, can I drink it just for the protein? I'm having a hard time getting enough on a daily basis, but I'm always over on fat. I could do skim milk (lactaid) instead and only enough to satisfy my protein needs.

Are there any negative side effects that I'm not aware of or is it just that simple?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you could ..or you could eat more chicken, steak, pork, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, eggs etc....
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    you could ..or you could eat more chicken, steak, pork, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, fish, eggs etc....

I try to but for some reason I cannot get enough protein from meat, cheese, etc in no matter what I do. Drinking it just seems easier.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cups of milk per day frequently. It's a great way to add protein. Even if you are not Lactose intolerant, really drinking a lot of milk doesn't agree with some folks, but there's only one way to find out.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Protein powder? It has fewer carbs, little to no fat, and more protein than milk.

You'd have to drink 24 ounces of milk just to get 24 grams of protein... which is a hassle and leads to far more calories and carbs than a single scoop of protein powder.
  • othello1786
    Options
    Drinking skim milk would not give you as much protein as your expecting, a lot of the protein is that's found in milk resides in the fat, which is lost when you drink skim milk. Milk is essential for vital nutrients but I would not rely on it to supplement your protein.

That being said i would go with a protein powder, if you really want to cut out the fats then mix the powder with water instead. Yeah it doesn't taste as good but you'll get all the benefits of the powder without the fattening properties of milk.

Also i would consider eating nuts, eggs, and other lean meats such as chicken or turkey.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a godsend. I get in around 250g protein every single day. Check out my diary for some examples.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's your fat set to? It should be .35 grams per pound of body weight, and that should be seen as the minimum.

Also, you get a lot more protein from meat than you do from dairy. Although I do eat a lot of cottage cheese.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Drinking skim milk would not give you as much protein as your expecting, a lot of the protein is that's found in milk resides in the fat, which is lost when you drink skim milk.

Please explain. 1 cup of both whole milk and skim milk have 8g of protein.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Drinking skim milk would not give you as much protein as your expecting, a lot of the protein is that's found in milk resides in the fat, which is lost when you drink skim milk.

You beat me to it. Do people ever verify what they think is fact before posting as though it's fact?

"...a lot of the protein that's found in milk resides in the fat..." :noway:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

You beat me to it. Do people ever verify what they think is fact before posting as though it's fact?

"...a lot of the protein that's found in milk resides in the fat..." :noway:

No kidding.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I try to but for some reason I cannot get enough protein from meat, cheese, etc in no matter what I do. Drinking it just seems easier.

Well, you could eat *more* meat....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I get a LOT of my protein from diary (milk and cheese). I'm okay with it.
  • star5785
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a godsend. I get in around 250g protein every single day. Check out my diary for some examples.

Just took a look at your diary. Lots of great ideas there, thanks!

Protein powder is probably the next best thing like others have mentioned.

Which ones are your favorites?

Eta: never mind I see a ton of threads already dedicated to powders!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

my diary is open as well ..so take a look ..I usually get about 200 to 215 grams a day...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I use Met-Rx for my protein powder....
    But I also use Skim milk and cottage cheese.

Check out Greek Yogurt.
    I like Chonbani, good taste, not a lot of carbs, and 0 fat.....and good protein.

You are also welcome to view my diary.
    Yesterday's entry was a low cal, low carb day for me.....
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I thought this said, "GONAD got me thinking." :laugh:
  • star5785
    Options

Check out Greek Yogurt.
    I like Chonbani, good taste, not a lot of carbs, and 0 fat.....and good protein.

Thanks.. I'll be stalking y'all a little later :tongue:!

I haven't tried greek yogurt yet b/c I've heard it's gritty eww :noway:. But I'll try anything at least once! Off to the grocery store now...
  • star5785
    Options

we know where your heads at :wink: :tongue: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Check out Greek Yogurt.

Thanks.. I'll be stalking y'all a little later :tongue:!

I haven't tried greek yogurt yet b/c I've heard it's gritty eww :noway:. But I'll try anything at least once! Off to the grocery store now...

Stalk me all you want too....maybe I will stalk back. :tongue: :laugh:

Try the Chobani brand....out of the 3 I have tired....Dannon, Yoikois and Chobani
    I feel Chobani is a good middle ground between them.
    Dannon is very high in carbs, so very sweet.....and Yoikois (or whatever brand that is) is lower than chobani with carbs, so it is sour tasting to me.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That's the Gallon Of Egg Nog A Day. I'm doing that for the holidays. At the grocery store the other day the cashier asked why I was buying 7 gallons of egg nog and I looked at her and "GOENAD! Do you even lift?"