GOMAD got me thinking...

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Protein powder? It has fewer carbs, little to no fat, and more protein than milk.

You'd have to drink 24 ounces of milk just to get 24 grams of protein... which is a hassle and leads to far more calories and carbs than a single scoop of protein powder.

dollar for dollar milk on sale is a better protein source than powder.

Ultimately the answer is YES- you have a higher carb content but carbs are not the devil- I typically drink 8-24 oz a day of 2% milk.

FTS on skim milk- I couldn't do that though.

Milk is an awesome natural source for protein. Have at it OP.
    Try the Chobani brand....out of the 3 I have tired....Dannon, Yoikois and Chobani
    I feel Chobani is a good middle ground between them.
    Dannon is very high in carbs, so very sweet.....and Yoikois (or whatever brand that is) is lower than chobani with carbs, so it is sour tasting to me.

Chobani is stupid expensive- Cabot is way better and 2$ less. I get the low/no fat- the higher/fuller fat one is to bitter for me.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Try the Chobani brand....out of the 3 I have tired....Dannon, Yoikois and Chobani
    Dannon is very high in carbs, so very sweet.....and Yoikois (or whatever brand that is) is lower than chobani with carbs, so it is sour tasting to me.

Chobani is stupid expensive- Cabot is way better and 2$ less. I get the low/no fat- the higher/fuller fat one is to bitter for me.

Haven't seen or tried that...
    Sometimes I can catch chobani on sale for $1 a cup....
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options

I typically get the larger bins of chobani that has 4 servings per container and 22 g protein per serving. Not a bad price at around $4.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

1 gallon of milk has about 132g of protein. Average price is $3.42. That's 38 grams of protein per dollar.

5 lb jug of ON whey has about 1790g of protein. Price is $54. That's 33 grams of protein per dollar.

Fascinating.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I only buy the big tubs and i'ts like 3 and change or 4 and change- by me chobani is like 5-6 for the big tub.

1 gallon of milk has about 132g of protein. Average price is $3.42. That's 38 grams of protein per dollar.

5 lb jug of ON whey has about 1790g of protein. Price is $54. That's 33 grams of protein per dollar.

Fascinating.

....ON SALE milk... reading comprehension... these things are important.

I use both- because protein mixes with my yogurt- and it's easy to bump it for the day. So I'm not picky- plus sometimes I stop drinking so much milk and it goes bad so I dial it back so I'm not wasting it- I flip flop between the two.

My point was that people say protein is easier and it's this and that- when milk is a great option that is cost effective too.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with milk.

Also; skimmed milk has more protein/unit volume than semi-skimmed or whole milk because you have skimmmed off some of the fat portion....ergo...maths.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I only buy the big tubs and i'ts like 3 and change or 4 and change- by me chobani is like 5-6 for the big tub.

Fascinating.

I use both- because protein mixes with my yogurt- and it's easy to bump it for the day. So I'm not picky- plus sometimes I stop drinking so much milk and it goes bad so I dial it back so I'm not wasting it- I flip flop between the two.

My point was that people say protein is easier and it's this and that- when milk is a great option that is cost effective too.

I think you misread my post. I showed that even at average prices, you are correct.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Fascinating.

That is interesting.

Not that this is the OP's problem, but I tend to assume protein powder is for people who are more concerned with a (g of protein):(overall calorie) ratio.

Though, I'd probably still shy away from milk just because I seem to have problems digesting it, regardless of lactose. Cottage cheese would be awesome if it weren't for the unfortunate consequences.

From a calorie perspective, I always feel like I'm stuck with tuna or eggs (or egg whites depending on the rest of the day).
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No harm in milk if your body doesn't complain about it & its a good source of protein in my eyes. I was drinking a lot of it to boost my protein & its also just lovely to drink :)

Ive started eating a lot more Chicken and rice to get protein & carbs as I find it easy to eat and it doesn't bloat me like some of the other foods. I too was having a problem adjusting to the amount of protein & food in general I needed to consume. I swapped my protein shake over to Muscletech's Mass-tech weight gainer for added calories for those moments when its easier or quicker to drink something than it is prepare a meal. Great stuff and full of wonderful stuff like BCAA, creatine & tonnes more, makes life very easy in the supplement department.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Fascinating.

I think you misread my post. I showed that even at average prices, you are correct.

LOL derp derp- that's what I get for posting without enough coffee... my snarky is WAY to high lately I apologize. I definitely read that backwards.

Sometimes it's not- sometimes it's a better deal when milk gets high- but it's definitely something to look into!!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Fascinating.

That is interesting.

Not that this is the OP's problem, but I tend to assume protein powder is for people who are more concerned with a (g of protein):(overall calorie) ratio.

Though, I'd probably still shy away from milk just because I seem to have problems digesting it, regardless of lactose. Cottage cheese would be awesome if it weren't for the unfortunate consequences.

From a calorie perspective, I always feel like I'm stuck with tuna or eggs (or egg whites depending on the rest of the day).

That's certainly why I use it. Plus, convenience - I can mix it in other low protein foods I like and would eat anyway to give them a boost.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has good protein powders. Their whey mixes well, tastes decent, has fewer carbs and fat, uses more isolate, and are moderately affordable. Amazon or bodybuilding.com have decent prices.

Body Fortress and Six Starr protein powder found at Walmart taste awful, don't mix well, uses more concentrate, too much fat and carbs, but cheaper than Optimum Nutrition. If you run out of protein powder, I mean Walmart brands are a godsend as shopping at GNC or other supplement shops isn't affordable.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    inexplicable:indifferent: