Why am I so hungry?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My point is, you said this:
    Your body has enough calories to last for weeks, especially if you are obese.

Hunger is the STOMACH crying out for more food, with a large psychological component as well.

Based on this information:

She had ingested coffee, fruit and a few almonds that day. and yogurt... let's not forget the yogurt.
    She had not worked out.
    She was very hungry.
    She's a young female.

How on earth does one come to that conclusion that she has WEEKS worth of body fat???

She could be 4'11 and weigh 220 lbs. or she could be 5'10 and weighs 105 lbs!

You gave NO consideration to the possibility that she could be hungry because she DOES need food for fuel or nutrients that she is not getting.

I tried to be respectful about this, but since you are asking me to be direct, I'll just say it:

You were irresponsible with your advice.

It appears that you saw this thread as a way to further your "mission to educate" without regards to what may actually be going on with the OP.
    While others were asking for more information to actually HELP the OP, you were just spouting your own beliefs without regard to whether or not it would actually be helpful or harmful to her.

Please don't do that anymore. Especially when it comes to young females.

edited to include the yogurt.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Until OP gives us more information about her "large dinner", then all of the advice is speculative.

I know it's an unrealistic expectation, but I wish the MFP community would do a better job of not "rewarding" this kind of OP behavior and refuse to provide any guidance until the OP provides the basic necessary information. Too often it seems that people are waiting for an opportunity to spew their pre-prepared soapbox responses regardless of the underlying facts.

I keep thinking that MFP should sticky a form to fill out, kind of like the one people use in ETP to ask questions about their intake. there were jokes about the missing information and plot twists, but it's a sad, sad reality of MFP. I doubt anyone would use the form or enforce its use, but one can dream, right?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Until OP gives us more information about her "large dinner", then all of the advice is speculative.

I know it's an unrealistic expectation, but I wish the MFP community would do a better job of not "rewarding" this kind of OP behavior and refuse to provide any guidance until the OP provides the basic necessary information. Too often it seems that people are waiting for an opportunity to spew their pre-prepared soapbox responses regardless of the underlying facts.

I keep thinking that MFP should sticky a form to fill out, kind of like the one people use in ETP to ask questions about their intake. there were jokes about the missing information and plot twists, but it's a sad, sad reality of MFP. I doubt anyone would use the form or enforce its use, but one can dream, right?

I keep thinking this form should be mandatory here
    butthurt-arizona-anonymous-bill.si.jpg

edited for size
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    for some reason, steve likes to tell people to not eat when they are hungry all the time. i have seen him on numerous threads telling people to keep themselves hungry because it is a good thing.

i eat when i am hungry because it means it is time to eat.

just because you eat when you are hungry does NOT mean that you are gorging yourself. it means that you are eating until you aren't hungry anymore.

i lose weight by eating when i am hungry, throughout the day.
    i NEVER skip breakfast.

clearly i am not doing it right, even though i have lost 4 pant sizes.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    for some reason, steve likes to tell people to not eat when they are hungry all the time. i have seen him on numerous threads telling people to keep themselves hungry because it is a good thing.

i eat when i am hungry because it means it is time to eat.

just because you eat when you are hungry does NOT mean that you are gorging yourself. it means that you are eating until you aren't hungry anymore.

i lose weight by eating when i am hungry, throughout the day.
    i NEVER skip breakfast.

clearly i am not doing it right, even though i have lost 4 pant sizes.

LOL AMEN!

Someone needs to get ahold of all the little babies and tell them, "YOU AREN'T HUNGRY! YOU HAVE PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES!!!"
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I think the OP got hungry and went for some more almonds. I doubt she is coming back to this thread.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I normally exercise after work but didn't do anything today, not even some light yoga. I've been ravenous all evening. Could it be because I didn't exercise?
    I can't BELIEVE all these MFP veterans are missing this vital point. Yes, OP, you have discovered the real cure for hunger. Food does not cure hunger. Exercise cures hunger.

Eating food just happens to be the BEST hunger-curing exercise known to man. Lifting the fork (or the apple) to your mouth over and over is better than 120 reps with the pink dumbbells. Chewing exercises every muscle in your face, and we all know the face has more muscles than any other part of the body. And then there's swallowing... My goodness, have you seen all the muscles involved in swallowing? Digestion... Don't even get me started! All those internal organs and muscles work like crazy!

Haven't you heard that eating breakfast is the best way to kickstart your metabolism? Now you know why. You're so welcome. And the bonus is, because it is EXERCISE, it makes you no longer hungry.

So if you're ravenous on a rest day after consuming under 600 calories, it's obvious that your body is screaming for more exercise. An apple, a banana, and a handful of almonds isn't much exercise. Give it a REAL workout. Make it work on a pizza. Or you could work your way up with a nice chicken breast. Your body will thank you, and your hunger will go away.

Oh, and don't forget to log the calorie burn.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    where would all the diet food hucksters and fitness program multi-millionaires be? They make a lot of money off people trying to lose weight..

Um, is the book that you keep quoting free?
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Breakfast was plain yogurt and coffee. Lunch was an apple, banana and a handful of almonds. That'd standard for me. I don't usually eat much during the day.

Listen to you're body
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Breakfast was plain yogurt and coffee. Lunch was an apple, banana and a handful of almonds. That'd standard for me. I don't usually eat much during the day.

Listen to you're body

You are more than a body. You are a person.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Actually, I am not sure what your point is.

I would bet that most people think that if they get hungry, they have to eat because their body needs calories.

Not true.

I would bet a lot of people think that if they don't eat breakfast, their glucose will crash down to dangerous levels.

Not true.

Even anorexics and potential anorexics need to know how their body works.

Basic stuff.

The OP was wondering why she felt hungry all the time.

She has probably learned something here.

My body craves food and I eat when I feel hungry I dropped from 30% body fat to 24% in 2 months and only lost 8lbs,but I'm pretty sure that 8lbs was all body fat.I didn't deprive my muscles and ate well so I didn't loose lean muscle weight just Fat.
    Point being if you don't feed you're body right ...think it's safe you say "ya you can loose weight by not listening to you're body,but lean muscle will be the first thing lost and little fat loss".
  • michaelsontag
    Options
    All your calories seem to be from carbs. Very little seem to have originated from proteins or fats (2 things your body needs). I would look at the "balance" of your average daily eating plan, so that you have more protein/fat in the AM to give you teh stability to take you through the day. I am not a big fan of the "a calorie is a calorie."
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "time of the month" suggestion. I have trouble controlling my appetite and often have a little binge during it. Coupled with a 5 pound water weight gain, let's just say that my drive and stamina is only good 3 out of the 4 weeks of the month. :\

Also, sometimes it just seems like the constant deficit eating sometimes just gets the better of me and I have to eat closer to maintenance for a day.

I can vouch, personally, for the stomach shrinking effect. Call it reduced stretchability, but I could only finish one plate of food this Thanksgiving (instead of 1.5-2 plates) and when my stomach gets used to not stretching pretty much every day (back when I was packing on pounds), going overboard now is pretty damn uncomfortable.

pffff... sounds ore like pregnant to me.

I don't know if I should take you seriously or not, as the last few posts I've read where you commented, you were very adamant that the OPs were pregnant. And last time, the OP was abstinent. Are YOU pregnant, and that's why you're convinced everyone else is pregnant?

Its possible, the lord works in mysterious ways.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Where has the OP gone?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Wrong.

In a deficit state, glycogen goes first.

Then fats start to be burned.

To keep the levels of glucose where they should be, labile amino acids are broken down.

This is called gluconeogenisis and it does NOT involve "lean" muscle.

That is another misconception.

The amino acids come from non-essential protein like enzymes and smooth muscle.

Only after days of frank starvation does "lean" muscle or brain tissue start to get broken down.

Dieters do not have to worry about that.

Please. Do you have any reference studies that support this position?
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Because you probably need to eat more. most people on here don't eat half as much as they should be eating.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Wrong.

Only after days of frank starvation does "lean" muscle or brain tissue start to get broken down.

So after a few days of starvation, your brain eats itself?

seems legit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So people dieting do not suffer from breakdown of "lean" muscle?

Sweet! I'll help you spread the word that LBM loss isn't a concern for "dieters".
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Wrong.

In a deficit state, glycogen goes first.

Then fats start to be burned.

To keep the levels of glucose where they should be, labile amino acids are broken down.

This is called gluconeogenisis and it does NOT involve "lean" muscle.

That is another misconception.

The amino acids come from non-essential protein like enzymes and smooth muscle.

Please. Do you have any reference studies that support this position?

More importantly, as I asked of Steve in a prior thread where he was adamant in his conclusions, I would like his qualifications to purport such information.

Steve, you a doctor? A dietician? A nutritionist?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Besides which, the body does not burn pure glycogen, then switch to pure fat. It burns both, only in differing ratios dependent on a lot different factors. It will switch to pure fat ONLY once it has reached the threshold of depletion to the point where the brain becomes in danger of low glucose levels.

Steve talks a big game, but I have yet to see him back anything, except to quote some... author? rather frequently.