HELP! Going to go over my maintenance tomorrow! :(

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would:

1. Just eat it.
    2. If I still had second thoughts, just reduce my calories the day before or the day after.

(I pay attention to weekly calorie counts.)

BAM THIS.

Weekly average > daily

seriously

this is why we say 1/2- 1 lb A WEEK when it comes to weight loss/gain. again- the AVERAGE which relates to sustainability.

3500- 1 lb fat. So we always recommend 2-500 calories deficit a day- which gives you 1/2- 1 lb lose a week.

Technically could you not eat for a day or two and still get the full deficit? SURE- but is it realistic and sustainable? absolutely not.

Same thing with maintenance- and same thing with bulking. You'll be fine.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm going out tomorrow night for a meal with my friends, at a Man v. Food type Burger joint franchise called Almost Famous (it's in the UK) This particular franchise deliberately has a a zero-information policy to whip up business on 'word of mouth' which unfortunately means no calorie or fat info on any of its' products. Even the menu is kept secret - WTF!!??

There doesn't seem to be anything in the database regarding generic 8oz burger, bun and fries either - so I can't track it. I'm genuinely terrified about going over my maintenance - and not even knowing by how much!!
    It's a typical US diner type place - does anybody know what the standard calorie count seems to be across the board for 8oz burger, bun and fries?

Should I make my excuses and not go? Or do I give an absolute Rocky IV Training Montage in the gym tonight and skip meals tomorrow to earn the calories in advance?

You're TERRIFIED??!!! First world problem! Just use burger and fries and eat light the rest of the day.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    One of the big things about maintenance is learning to truly let go and not get wound up about your number. Unless you have remarkable skills and technologies at hand, you'll always either be going under or over your maintenance level. Some days you're high, others you're low. Going over tomorrow won't really hurt you that badly in the long run.

Here in the US, we just had Thanksgiving- a big food holiday. Of course, grandma's recipies weren't in the system. So I just gave it an estimate, found something similar in the database, and relaxed because there are only a few days in the whole year where I ever eat that much.

Just log it as best as you can, and don't let going way over become a habit, unless you compensate for it.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Search "Fuddruckers 1/2 pound burger" and "large poutine". Should get you covered on calories ; )
  • Susie0307
    Susie0307 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I understand your wanting to be held accountable for what you're consuming. Don't stress and overthink it - choose items as close as possible for your diary. I like the idea of ordering a kid's size meal if you can. On my 50th birthday, before I reached my weight loss goal, I lived it up and had a big burger with cheese & bacon - and a couple onion rings. Sure, it tasted good, but I felt gross afterwards. Enjoy yourself - but you may find that junk food isn't so appealing as it used to be. HAVE FUN!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it, one day is not going to be the end of it all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat Mc Donald's once a week and maintain just fine. Why are you freaking out? Just don't log for that day. No biggie.

I'm all about moderation- but the entire point of logging is to capture the good and the bad. You can selectively disregard the outliers later- but to purely not take the data at all because of bias?

that's bad science my friend.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Do take a picture of the burger you select and post it in this thread. the suspense is killing me

^^This!! And to the poster who suggested leaving off the bacon.......that's just ludicrous! :noway: :huh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Did a quick google, found lots of pics of the food. This ain't McDonald's that's for sure, more like the American Heart Attack Grill. You're basically looking at 2000 calorie burgers and 1500 calorie fries.

almost-famous-11.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Did a quick google, found lots of pics of the food. This ain't McDonald's that's for sure, more like the American Heart Attack Grill. You're basically looking at 2000 calorie burgers and 1500 calorie fries.

IN!!!

<you-had-me-at-hello.gif>
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Oh my God! It was delicious! I'm going for LOOOOOOOONG run this morning! :wink:
  • DavPul
    Options
    *patiently waits for photos*
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Day-um, that looks tasty! Glad you went for it and enjoyed it. Hope you have a great run!
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    *patiently waits for photos*

You'll have a long wait, they don't let you take photos in there. Part of their 'anti-marketing strategy.'

I wanted to show you as well. Proper Man v. Food serving!

Man won. KO 1st round....
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    All this over an 8 ounce burger? Really? I was more interested when it was an 80 ounce burger. If a half pound burger is going to threaten your a grown man's maintenance calories, the problem doesn't lie with the burger.

I think this guy clearly has issues if he's scared to overeat for one frickin day :noway: I actually laugh at threads like these.

Very harsh replies and no need when the OP was only looking for some advice.
    Some people have worked very hard and possibly overcome a number of issues to lose weight and could be afraid if they lose control it might start them on a slippery slope ( I don't know your background OP, I'm just giving my opinion) so maybe that is 'issues' in your books but if you don't like the thread don't read it and certainly don't comment crappy replies about people you know nothing about having 'issues'

Thanks, as harsh as the replies were (you are spot on about my background, by the way) they were right in that I can't allow my desire to get in shape actually prevent me from living. I'm still finding that balance.
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    Glad to be a source of humour for you. I LOL'd at your rollers, too. :wink:

Seriously, though. Yeah, I know that I need to lighten up a bit. I've only just started succeeding in making noticable gains (losses?) with my shape and I'm scared of undoing my work so far. Yes I have severe problems with my self esteem due to my appearance and getting in shape is all I have to cling onto right now, I guess.

Judging by some of your before/after photos - you are doing one hell of a job. Your self esteem should be through the roof. BTW - how was your burger? :tongue:

Thank you so much for your compliment! Unfortunately, after some crushing rejections this year, my self esteem is below sea-level right now and what I seein the mirror isn't what you see in my photos.

The burger was amazing. Google 'Almost Famous Suicide Burger Trailer Trash Fries' Ohhhhhhhhhhhh........
  • DavPul
    Options
    All this hullabaloo and you couldn't even sneak a cell phone pic in of the burger? I'm out

ViDhRJ1.gif
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    All this hullabaloo and you couldn't even sneak a cell phone pic in of the burger? I'm out

ViDhRJ1.gif

I'm not getting thrown out of a burger joint for no internet stranger! :P

Google images >>>>>>>>>
  • moya_rargh
    Options
    So this week ends with me 1255 cals over my net weekly goal as a result of Friday night. I've been coming in at just under maintenance every day this week. My daily maintenance is 2000 cals, so a week of coming in at 1800 cals a day should even this out, right?

And 1255 over isn't even half a pound, I just hope that some of my muscle tissue has grabbed some of the surplus!!!
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That's a 10km run and some weights :)