Your tip for not caving to Christmas party tempting treats?

Options

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My plan is to enjoy everything, including plenty of treats, in moderation throughout the entire season and to log and exercise as usual. December is no different than every other month. Enjoy food, celebrate occasions with family, but aim for a weekly average calorie deficit, if weight loss is your goal.
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read for later. I have three work parties next week and one big family Christmas party. I'll need all the suggestions I can get!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Per my nutritionist, never go hungry. Always eat before you go and eat enough that you really don't want to eat what's there. Make sure to stay hydrated with water during and keep yourself on the other side of the room from the food tables. You are less likely to graze if you have to go across the room to do it.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really work for me. Over-eating doesn't have much to do with hunger (for me). For that reason, I would rather eat lightly during the day (or even fast, depending on the circumstances) and eat at the event in question. (Again, depending on circumstances, whether it's an actual meal or just sweets etc.) I try to focus on getting a decent amount of protein and vegetables for the day, and not going to crazy on the rest.
    -take advantage of special limited availability treats or rather avoid the things that are always available (storebought chocolate chip cookies -skip, but ONE of Aunt Helen's uber-duber special only made at Christmas cookies - eat)
    I really like this one, and tend to go by this. Eat the foods you really enjoy. Try not to mindlessly eat the ones you're not that bothered about. Save eating the ones you can have all year round for another occasion.

Mostly, I just try to be mindful. Without planning, and the ability to accurately track everything, I can easily eat far more than I need to, but if I take a step back and keep asking myself whether I really want to eat that, and mentally check how much I've already had etc, then I have a little more control. And, just make it as easy on yourself as you can. If it's a buffet, don't sit right by the food table. Get a drink, and focus on talking to people, and enjoying the atmosphere. Maybe take a look at what food's on offer and give yourself time to choose what you're going to have.

And, if you eat too much, don't beat yourself up about it. By all means use calorie cycling or intermittent fasting, or increase activity as ways of managing your intake, but don't fall into crazy amounts of exercise, or fasting to try to compensate for eating "badly" etc. Worst case scenario, you might gain a couple of pounds over the season, but you know how to get it off again. But, with practice, eating moderately does get easier.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I try not to arrive too hungry, but with enough calories in my "food budget" to enjoy. A tough balancing act!

When I arrive, before taking any food, look over all the offerings. I've read that people eat less when they scan everything that's there first. Seems to make sense. You don't want to fill up a plate, then realize, "oh, no I didn't notice those other cookies over there...I need some of those, too"

My third and final tip is to fill up your plate as much as possible with healthy stuff (Yes, someone will bring a veggie or fruit plate), and of the other stuff, focus on the UNIQUE or favorite items you only get at Christmas-time. It helps me out a lot to think to myself "I can get a chocolate chip cookie anytime, I'm going to take these mincemeat/peppermint/eggnog cookies I can only get at Christmas time."

Hope that helps!

ETA - oops I just noticed others suggested the same as me. I thought my 3rd tip was new one!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While I'm all about not depriving yourself, I haven't had much success with the whole "enjoy it, it's only once a year" thing because it's not just one day. There are goodies at work, there are goodies offered by friends and family, there are goodies at parties and happy hours and whatever else you might get invited to or go to. And every year I have gained about 10 pounds over the holidays. Not too big of a deal the first year when I still had another 50 pounds to lose so it came off fairly quickly - but these days when I'm THAT close to goal, having to lose another 10 pounds on top of that is a big pain in the *kitten*.

So, this year I have committed to a different mindset. Nothing too drastic, just a little better perspective. I'll still have goodies but limit it to one choice per event. There's no need to have one of each just because I'm afraid to miss out on all the different flavors of cookies, fudge, pie, cake, squares, etc. They will be around again next year and for years after that.

My motivation is my annual exam in January. I would like to be down at least a few pounds from last year and even better, I'd like my cholesterol results to show further improvement.

It's not going to be easy but I know I can do it!
  • janlichtenstein
    Options
    Now that Christmas is approaching, and I know there are a lot of family gatherings, etc. .. Then I will be even more vigilant about taking my fiber capsules, so I do not overeat also like that I do not have cravings for snacks and other goodies. I'm such a good start that Christmas should not get destroy my goals ...:happy:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I started over again more days than most of you here have been alive.
    Since I have been on MFP, I have had to keep asking myself over and over again, "will eating this be worth it? If not, don't put it in your mouth", invariably, the answer is NO, it is not worth the extra calories. I will continue to log everything I put in my mouth. I will allow for small treats, but I will not overindulge. I will NEVER go back to where I was almost 21 months ago.
    Nothing tastes better than being a normal weight feels.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I eat the stuff that's worth it.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Really hard to not go overboard when the boss is footing the bill ;) Tonight we have my work Christmas party. I've contacted the restaurant about the menu, planned what I will order, and what I'll take home in a doggie bag. After that is a church Christmas party (man is December over-booked!) and that will be hard to not snack on goodies, planning to workout beforehand to compensate and might carry some calories over until tomorrow :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I took a lot of tips from Hungry Girl about what to get at parties.

First thing I do is plan a small meal BEFORE I go. Nothing too big, but something that will keep me semi full for when I get there. Something healthy, like a nice salad or half a turkey wrap or something.

When I get there, I load up on the veggies. If it is a tray, I usually get several pieces of each vegetable or if there is salad I eat more salad lol.

For meats, this depends. If they are thick slices of roast or something like that then I usually try and find a smaller piece and eat that one piece of meat. If it is thinner cuts of turkey or ham, I will grab one slice of each and that is it.

Next I grab a small bread roll. Why? Because that will be my guide on the startches. I choose one starch, and try to get as close to the size of that bread roll as possible. If there isn't a small bread roll or anything like that, I usually gauge it as 3/4 the size of my fist.

Vegetables side dishes get complicated. If it a vegetable side like green bean casserole or heavy creamed items like that, I will stick to the size as the startches. If it is a fresh steamed vegetable, then I will get double the size of the starch.

I limit my alcohol intake to ONLY ONE drink, then water, coffee, tea, or diet soda from then on.

For desert, I usually stick to the pies or cakes, ask for half a slice and then load up on the fruit. Yes fruit is higher in calorie but it much lower than all the baked goods will be and it will help with the sweet tooth that comes from seeing all those wonderful holiday treats. And for the pie, I usually ask for something liek apple or pumpkin, at those have some sort of fruit or vegetable in it. And ask for a small dallop of whip (it can do double duty for your pie and dip for your fruit).

Don't set a calorie allotment for that night. Just try to stick to healthier choices. That way you will at least have the satisfaction of knowing that everything you learned here you successfully implicted into the real world.

Most of all have fun!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Random thoughts on Surviving the Holidays:

1 - Relax, enjoy, don't have anxiety attack
    2 - eat, drink and be merry
    3 - work out A LOT
    4 - pick which events are going to be a 'non-calorie counting event' or sticking to the plan event.
    5 - don't eat if I'm not hungry, stop eating when I'm full.
    6 - never pass up a tray of Christmas cookies
    7 - moderation. 2 dozen Christmas cookies = bad. 6 cookies = good!!

December has 31 days. Even if you have 7 or 8 parties that you attend and your calorie consumption gets out of hand. You still have 23 days to kick *kitten*, eat 'clean' and be totally awesome in the gym.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    And this is just me personally - there's nothing sadder than filling up on raw vegetables before the party and skipping all the fun appetizers!!! I'd much rather practice moderation and exercise my willpower and know that I will be back to business the next day.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I take two bites of anything I want to have sweet-wise, then drink a big glass of water. Trust me I can only do this a couple of times through a big party! Keeps me happy, and I get my treat too! If it is a meal I apply the same principle. I take a two-bite portion for each thing I want to try. That way I get to have the variety I like, but I don't overdue it!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My attitude at events that feature food are: it better taste fantastic to be worth my calories. So that means if it is the ordinary I don't choose it. I want to spend my calories on items that are luscious. Notice I am still counting everything. Sometimes I go over but it was worth every bite! Good eating and have fun during the holidays!!!! :drinker:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Eat a sensible meal before you go. And good luck!
  • HungryAnimal
    HungryAnimal Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Look for the fruits and veggies first, then everything else needs to be in moderation. Also, don't feel like you need to say no to everything or chances are you will start to regret the fact that you are trying to lose weight, so enjoy some "unhealthy" things, just do it in moderation. Heavy on the veggies and fruit and light on the other stuff. You can do it!
  • REDMANIV
    REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My strategy for dealing with this time of the year or any type of party set up like a buffet is to let everyone hit the line first...by the time everyone is munching and I make my way over to the food all of the good stuff is gone or almost gone....that leaves just enough for me to sample without over indulging. I also head for the bottled water and constantly keep one of those close to me throughout the event. Helps to keep my belly full. All of the extra trips to the bathroom is just extra exercise : ). Enjoy yourself though you can do it!
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    Eat smaller portions.

This was my first holiday being on a diet and I learned my lesson during Thanksgiving pig out. I had way too much and felt sluggish and crappy. Really not worth all that food in the end. Eat what you want but eat A LOT SMALLER portions than what you want to eat. That way, you can eat everything. It's even better if you have a SO that is willing to eat the rest of your leftovers :P
  • Candice_Says
    Candice_Says Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    -limit the **** tails, drink water or seltzer maybe furit flavored,

Did cocktail really not make it past the censors??? hahahaha :laugh: :drinker: