What are you reading?

Options
FunkBunny
FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
I'm about 1/3 of the way through James Frey's Bright Shiny Morning. Loving it! Not my typical read, but it has me totally engrossed by his style and delivery. Wonderful!

So...what's catching your eye these days?

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Wicked and Confessions of a Prairie B**ch.

Hmm, what does that say out me? ;)

(oops, sorry moderators! But that is the name of the book - hee hee)
  • Clew
    Options
    Hey girlie, Have you read any Jeffrey Deaver? He's my favorite :)
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Mostly books about The Transformers. :wink: lol

My son is starting kindergarten this year, and he's a beginning reader, and The Transformers I Can Read books are among his favorites. So I help him through those.

As for recreational reading... With the housework, homeschooling (I'm homeschooling them until public school begins), and exercising several hours a day... I just don't find time to read! lol
  • Clew
    Options
    HA HA! LadyofIvy, that's what I read the most as well! AUTOBOTS, ROLL OUT!
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    I've read Bone Collector. My all time must read is Stephen King. been a fan for years, but inbetween his novels I have started reading Karin Slaughter. She does an excellent job writing. (I"m kind of sexist because I have a hard time reading women writers typically...the stories tend to be more geared towards the romance angle than the actual story and get predictable....I know, a rotten thing to say, but it's true...especially since I've written and published a novel myself...so you'd think I'd be more understanding!)
    I'm not saying there aren't great women novelist out there, just none that write in a style I love. That being said... Karin Slaughter is my big time exception to the rule. Her books are great! Her and Jody Picoult. I also have found I like Richard North Patterson and Greg Iles.

What can I say? I'm a reader. And my job has a lot of *kitten* time, so I need something to pass the hours!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am not reading anything currently, but want to be!! Besides reading Dr. Amen's books about ADHD and Change Your Mind, Change Your Body (very interesting!), I did read this summer. I really enjoyed The Help, The TimeTravelers Wife and The Lovely Bones. Plus I read a few good ones by Dean Koontz.
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    Mostly books about The Transformers. :wink: lol

My son is starting kindergarten this year, and he's a beginning reader, and The Transformers I Can Read books are among his favorites. So I help him through those.

As for recreational reading... With the housework, homeschooling (I'm homeschooling them until public school begins), and exercising several hours a day... I just don't find time to read! lol

Hahah! I have to add to my list...I did just read two Mr Men books last night to my 6 year olds (son and step daughter) and was read to from the Diary of a Wimpy kid by my 10 year old son. :)
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    OKAY I have to know what book you wrote! :n) I'm somewhat working on a teen romance novel. I go in spurts of writing about 1000 words per day for like, a month at a time, and then nothing for several months. I have an issue where I know what's going to happen next, it's just that I hate writing the filler in between. LOL
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    I'm on a total break from writing right now...with work and life going on I haven't found the time in like...a year! Hahaha! But I have written three childrens books based on my own kids, your son might like those, they are geared for early readers.
    My novel is an "erotic thiller" that has an ending that will blow your mind! i know it will because it blew mine! Totally didn't see it coming! (Doesn't that sound nuts?!)

Such a difference in books, huh? What can I say? I'm equal opportunity! :laugh:

Here's the link to my storefront, come check me out...

http://stores.lulu.com/firefrog
    Hell, here's my husband's storefront, while I'm at it...he writes fantasy.
    http://stores.lulu.com/tjfunk23
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading (for myself) book 4 of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

To my daughter I am reading Roverandum by JRR Tokien.
  • jreneanderson
    jreneanderson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am reading "Lincoln" by Gore Vidal because Liam Neeson is going to star in the movie, and I adore Liam Neeson. I just got done reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis because it came highly recommended but I didn't understand the appeal. I'm a grad student in the LMFT program so I have to read a lot of school books so I really enjoy when I can read a book "for fun". I have three weeks off until the next semester starts so I'm hopeing to finish "Lincoln" during my break.
  • raynhammoonluva
    Options
    About to start A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick....sounds pretty good
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.
  • FunkBunny
    Options
    About to start A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick....sounds pretty good

I read this just this past spring, it was pretty good. Different from my norm, but a refreshing change! Hope you enjoy it!
  • Keltraylor
    Options
    The Help, a noval by Kathryn Stockett

Its a great read :)
  • starstealing
    Options
    I just got done reading "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis because it came highly recommended but I didn't understand the appeal.

ooooh that's one of my favorites!

currently reading "i don't have enough faith to be an atheist."
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    I am a Twilighter, so I love those. :blushing: I am a historical romance person - I have to think too much at work that when I read, I don't want to have to think too much. LOL I love Elizabeth Lowell, Nickolas Sparks, The Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood), Th Other Boleyn Girl and the prequels/sequels, Harlan Coben is awesome as well.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Timothy Zahn, Brian Lumley, David Brinn, Terry Goodkind, Mercedes Lackey and James Patterson are my favs right now (Zahn is my all-time fav! The Iccarus Hunt is an great book). There are so many books we have in our home library, though, that I can't keep track of all the authors & some of my fiance's favs differ!
    We go to used book stores and will just read the backs & if it sound good we get it (usually walk out with at least 10 new books!). One day, maybe I'll sit down and make a list of all my favs, but right now, there are too many to remember (usually read about a book a week)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Strange Highways // Dean Koontz. JUST started...literally 10 pages in, haha. Will probably read more tonight.
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. He's a Pastor in Southern Cali. It's an AMAZING book!