Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Eat More ™

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Whether trolling or not, the problem with posts like these is that lurkers on a self-imposed VLCD find them and use them to validate their own choices. Undereating is bad mmm....kay?
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    Eh these are exactly the types of replies I'd expect from this community - claiming you're a troll and then posting cheesy gifs. Just seems like a bunch of arrogance to me. But what else would you expect from these people who seem to know everything about nutrition?

My advice for you would be to bump up your calories to at least 1200, like MFP says. The fact of the matter is that most people will completely throw VLCDs out the window without doing enough research on them. However, if you look at certain studies such as this military study: http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/ you will find that VLCDs are completely doable with incredibly minimal muscle loss, especially if you're over 15% body fat. Just remember to consume enough protein based on your lean body mass.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eh these are exactly the types of replies I'd expect from this community - claiming you're a troll and then posting cheesy gifs. Just seems like a bunch of arrogance to me. But what else would you expect from these people who seem to know everything about nutrition?

My advice for you would be to bump up your calories to at least 1200, like MFP says. The fact of the matter is that most people will completely throw VLCDs out the window without doing enough research on them. However, if you look at certain studies such as this military study: http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/ you will find that VLCDs are completely doable with incredibly minimal muscle loss, especially if you're over 15% body fat. Just remember to consume enough protein based on your lean body mass.

Promoting VLCDs is a ToS violation.

tumblr_mpw9zdth201qcbbyko1_400.gif
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    And why does everyone say I'm going to lose a massive amount of weight?

You might lose height too. In a few months you're gonna make Tom Cruise look tall
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Dude...on days where i'm sedentary i eat 1700 cals. And i'm 5'8. So a big strapping lad like you eating 1000? Thats no good
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options

Promoting VLCDs is a ToS violation.

tumblr_mpw9zdth201qcbbyko1_400.gif

I'm not promoting it. If I were promoting it I'd do it myself. I personally cut at 1600-1800 calories. I even said to not go below 1200, which is exactly what MFP says. I'm just saying that there are misconceptions about VLCDs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    are your 1000 calories protein and fiber heavy ? do you drink or take calcium and make sure you get other vitamins

I know everyone on here is giving you crap but cmon you could be eating 2000 calories of crap food (what i used to do) and be worse off.

think about it guys - if you eat veggies and lean protein, throw in some complex carbs - full and at 1000 calories. I do it , only go over when i eat worse for me food .

Healthy dietary fats! Olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocado.

Just because your stomach is "full".....doesn't mean your vital organs have enough fuel. FOOD = FUEL

Yes - your body can get some fuel from stored fat....but many, many things need protein. At 6' tall your body has lots of bone and muscle to maintain......not enough calories.............those go bye-bye. Your body will choose heart muscle over leg muscle. Your body will choose blood cells over hair (yes, hair loss is in your future).
  • crownbin
    Options
    <quote> "I seem to be having a similar problem. I eat approx. 1000 calories a day. The problem is that I don't feel hungry, and when I see that I am below my calorie intake I reach a point of confusion, as I am not hungry and don't know what to eat to increase my calories those extra 200, without increasing something else, like sugars. I also don't have any side effects, eg: headaches, etc.
    My average day is all bran flakes for breakfast, fruit and baked potato / soup / veggies / noodles for lunch, and dinner can be anything from mac and cheese, salad, veg platter / pizza / fish and chips, etc. If I get peckish during the day, I eat more fruit / veg / crackers, but I still rarely reach my calorie count, unless I eat something I shouldn't like pizza. Any suggestions on how to reach that balance? " </quote>

You need to work out how to calorie count... that's 1000+ per meal pet.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    are your 1000 calories protein and fiber heavy ? do you drink or take calcium and make sure you get other vitamins

I know everyone on here is giving you crap but cmon you could be eating 2000 calories of crap food (what i used to do) and be worse off.

think about it guys - if you eat veggies and lean protein, throw in some complex carbs - full and at 1000 calories. I do it , only go over when i eat worse for me food .

DOUBLE NO!!!!!!

Op an infant eats more than you do!!!!
    I triple that NO!

You can eat carp food or all healthy food and still lose weight. Eating only 1000 calories of ANY food a day is plains stupid and dangerous.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

VLCDs are never okay unless you are extremely obese and under a doctor's care. This website does not support very low calorie diets.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

VLCDs are never okay unless you are extremely obese and under a doctor's care. This website does not support very low calorie diets.

SLLRunner - I'm guessing that this repsonder "assumed" female OP and not the 6' tall MALE ...... no way would MFP advocate 1200 calories for him.

Minimal muscle loss for OP - nope, I don't think so.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.