What to eat when you are invited for dinner

Options
So this is an issue I come across at least two times a week: eating with others. I get invited or go out for dinner or lunch and I just don't know how to say friendly: No thanks, I don't want to eat your crapy food. And by crapy I mean like french fries, burgers, pizza, ice cream, big three course dinners and so on, because that is what most of my friends like to eat. As it happens so often it really isn't an option to just forget about a healthy diet for once (once in a while a pizza is okay I think but then we're talking about once in a month or so). Are there any people experiencing the same problems? And what do you do? Does anyone have tips how to avoid making yourself a social outsider in terms of food and still stay with your own food choices?

Thanks a lot! :)

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in food shaming or heaping food into categories of good or bad... I eat alot of lean meat, veggies, fruits, and whole grains but I eat burgers, pizza, ice cream, just as often. If you are going out to eat you can always find some options that will fit your goals and eating at their places...... it is 1 or 2 meals in a weeks worth of eating, portion out an amount and enjoy it along with your friends. This approach has not cost me success in reaching my goals...... Best of Luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    personally i try to shoe horn as much 'crapy' food and as many big three course dinners as is humanly possible into each week while hitting my macros and my calorie goal IIFYM stylee... but thats just me...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I just tell people that I don't eat that stuff, but I appreciate their efforts and hospitality. If they get pissy about the situation, I usually say, "But did you die?" It usually either puts things in perspective or earns me a laugh. Sometimes both!
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Haha great idea monkey! Will try that :)
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love socializing and if I know I'm invited out .. I usually save some extra calories for that. It's all about calorie in, cals out for me.

We usually eat at restaurants that a variety of options ... there's always healthy options - veggies and grilled meat available. Sometimes I eat a smaller portion.

As for pizza, I cater for two slices.

Life is about balance and this is going to happen a lot.
  • emmamaybear
    emmamaybear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey, I know that feel! :D
    At least once a week we'll be together Maritz, so we can try to be two healthnuts instead of one! Maybe if one of us helps cooking, we can control what's on our plate and get a lot of veggies/lean protein?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    whatever you're offered surely.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    If I'm invited out, I look up the menu online. If there's nothing much I can eat, I eat at home first so I'm not starving and order something small. You could also suggest a place with food you can all eat.

If my friends are making the food, I tell them in a nice way before I get there. I say I'm on a weight loss roll and don't want to derail myself. I handle it the same way I handle being a vegetarian invited to dinner -- I tell them before I get there. I also ask if I can bring something to share. If you bring a healthy salad or healthy entree then you can sample a few other things and mostly stick to your own food.
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. If invited to their home for burgers, eat the burger, not the bun. Don't have fries or dessert but a few chips or baked beans.
  • upforthecount
    upforthecount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is a tough question. If possible, I try to eat something healthy just before I go out, so I'm not starving while waiting for the food to be served and get tempted by bread rolls or salsa and chips etc.

The other thing, which I find difficult to do, is leave food on your plate after you have consumed the amount of calories you intended to eat at that meal. So what if you end up wasting food, at least you won't feel guilty about eating too many calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's someone's home then eat small portions. If they question you there is the choice of explaining it all, saying you aren't hungry you had a large lunch, or just accepting some people are rude and brush off the comment.

If it's a restaurant then make the best choice you can from the menu. Eat slowly, drink water and have a good time.

If you don't want to get these invitations anymore then make a big deal about their crappy food, how you eat so much better than they do, tell them the evils of their food choices and make sure everyone knows that you are superior.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Dinner.

Because who wants an ungracious guest? Just eat less of it if you really need to stay under your calories.
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Are your friends aware that you prefer not to eat these foods? If they are aware and can't be more sensitive or supportive of your needs, maybe you need to re-evaluate your need to hang out with them? Just some things to consider. Wishing you the best.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So this is an issue I come across at least two times a week: eating with others. I get invited or go out for dinner or lunch and I just don't know how to say friendly: No thanks, I don't want to eat your crapy food. And by crapy I mean like french fries, burgers, pizza, ice cream, big three course dinners and so on, because that is what most of my friends like to eat. As it happens so often it really isn't an option to just forget about a healthy diet for once (once in a while a pizza is okay I think but then we're talking about once in a month or so). Are there any people experiencing the same problems? And what do you do? Does anyone have tips how to avoid making yourself a social outsider in terms of food and still stay with your own food choices?

Thanks a lot! :)

Maybe try to come to grips with food. It sounds like the problem here is your relationship with food. If that is affecting your relationship with people, then maybe counseling is a good idea. :flowerforyou:
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips I received by now! I think you helped me a lot (and maybe others as well) :) And Emma we can do that, I'm totally in, haha!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Make sure you let these people know that you're judging their food choices, and I bet they'll stop inviting you! Problem solved!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When you accept an invitation and the hospitality of someone else, you should eat what they eat. You don't have to eat much. But you should eat what they've bought or prepared. It's the proper thing to do. Don't act superior or like their food is not good enough for you. You'll hurt them.

One meal is not going to kill you. And, if you simply do not want to eat their food, don't accept their invitation.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    How about "No thanks" and leave the "I don't wanna eat your crapy food" line unsaid? When someone's serving food I don't like/want, I don't eat it and say no thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There is no polite way to say, "I don't want to eat your crapPy food."

How about just, "No thanks"? Or go and eat something healthy. I have yet to go to a restaurant that didn't have lower-calorie, healthy options.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Alll my friends know that I am a member of MFP and that I am counting calories. I don't consider any food as "bad" or "crap" but if I have 700 calories for dinner...I am going to try to maximize those calories (and allow myself dessert) by focusing on protein and veggies. I actually prefer burgers without the bun or with lettuce as the bun and I tend to "share" fries. I had ice cream last night and it was awesome (maple with walnuts). If you aren't into ice cream...look to see if there is a sorbet option or just tell them that you are full.

Good Luck.