Interesting Article on the Cost of Eating "Healthy"

Options
2»

Replies

• ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    We spend a lot of money to eat healthier as fresh veggies and produce only last a couple days and are not cheap around here. I am getting really disappointed with how the quality of fresh veggies and produce is so bad that it last about 2 days. *sigh*
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    We spend a lot of money to eat healthier as fresh veggies and produce only last a couple days and are not cheap around here. I am getting really disappointed with how the quality of fresh veggies and produce is so bad that it last about 2 days. *sigh*

Buy frozen veg and fruits, it's cheaper and nutrients are preserved during freezing process.
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    We have tried that, but then we forget it is is in the freezer and ends up buried and goes to waste. We really need to get better with our grocery shopping because for 2 adults and 1 child, our bill is bad at about 600+ a month, easily. I am trying to lose weight, husband wants to live on steak, potatoes and sour cream and everything else fattening and could stand to gain weight and son will eat whatever so he is good. Husband hasn't liked many of the healthier meals I have made so we are wasting money making too many meals a day. I am sick of the high grocery bills.

I seriously need help with better meal planning as far as breakfast (me & my son) school lunches, lunch for me and then dinner for all three of us go.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    We have tried that, but then we forget it is is in the freezer and ends up buried and goes to waste. We really need to get better with our grocery shopping because for 2 adults and 1 child, our bill is bad at about 600+ a month, easily. I am trying to lose weight, husband wants to live on steak, potatoes and sour cream and everything else fattening and could stand to gain weight and son will eat whatever so he is good. Husband hasn't liked many of the healthier meals I have made so we are wasting money making too many meals a day. I am sick of the high grocery bills.

I seriously need help with better meal planning as far as breakfast (me & my son) school lunches, lunch for me and then dinner for all three of us go.

Well, I really applaud you for trying to do the right thing, finding ways to eat healthy. I think in the long run, the improved health of your family will tip in favor of the finances. Good luck.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

There's no such thing as too many meals a day imo, that just means there's some ready meals for the week.

Well... Unless you have a big party and everyone hates the food... Then most of it would go to waste.
  • ebgbjo
    Options
    I think you read it wrong lol I mean making too many different meals for the three of us. For instance, two different breakfasts, three different lunches and two or three different dinners.