Worried about the gym

Options

Replies

• KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I will start next month when I have some money after Christmas and we don't have planet fitness I am in the uk
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I never thought in a million years I would have gym anxiety... but I did!! I used to be a personal trainer and I LOVED working out at the gym -- because I was in great shape. Then I became pregnant, gained 70 pounds, moved to a new area and had my son. While tryng to lose the baby weight, every single time I went to the gym I had anxiety. I thought people were judging me because I was fat... and trust me, I was FAT. After a while it got easier and easier. Now I've lost most of the weight and I love going again. If a former personal trainer can have gym anxiety, anyone can. It will pass. Just get it there and remember that you are working out for YOU, not anyone else. And if they judge you then, f*** 'em.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I will start next month when I have some money after Christmas and we don't have planet fitness I am in the uk

Is there anyone you can ask for an early Christmas present?

I ask because
    (a) January is going to be really busy at the gym with all the New Year Resolutioners, so it will be less busy now, which might help your anxiety, and
    (b) if you can find some cash to sign up now, you'll be more likely to be able to negotiate a good deal - fewer people will be signing up this month than next

ETA: of course, if you start next month, you will be more likely to blend into the background of new members
  • KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    If they judge you then, f*** 'em.

This is going to be my new motto :)
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Before you select a gym, stop in and visit a few for a tour during the time you plan to work out, so you can get a feel for the atmosphere. Have questions already prepared so you do not forget. You want to ensure you get your $'s worth.

We are our own worst enemies most times as we are too preoccupied with what other people may think of us.

My personal trainer and my body attack instructor started as overweight members and looking at them now, I would have never known it. The point, we all have a story of some sort.

Once you make your mind up, you will select the road that works best for you.

I wish you nothing but the best.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the gym, worry about being unhealthy. I don't really care what others think of me and who cares what I think. We are all at different points in our journey and you have to start somewhere. Just please start. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    been in the same situation once, the only difference I enrolled in a zumba class. I felt afraid that people there will judge me, good thing they don't! just do it! :))
  • loosinit42806
    loosinit42806 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry,
    Just go and get started! if they are there they are striving for the same things as you are usually if you see a person there that may look as if she could have been over weight at one time know that she has come so far and you can do it too! that's how I look at it when im there, I think to myself people are all here for the same purpose to be healthy and get in shape! so get some good music on your phone or ipod and get to making great progress!!!
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    I've had nothing but good things happen to me at the gym. I have people randomly come up to me and compliment me on some exercise I've done during my routine. I've only had one negative experience in the 12.25 months I've had my membership and that was an older woman who decided that my workout buddy and I were talking to much. Then again she got on another member about too so I'm not going to count it.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    why do you care what random people you don't know think about you?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels this way before they start going to the gym.

The most important thing to remember is that most people at the gym are so wrapped up in their own workout that they don't have the time or energy to notice what other people are doing.

If I do notice a new person, I don't think negative things about them. I'm hopeful that they'll be successful and keep coming back.

I love my gym. I've been going to the same gym for several years, and I know most of the weight room regulars. I feel very comfortable there and haven't experienced any meanness or animosity.

My best advice is to "just do it" and go, and then keep going. Force yourself to go on a regular basis for at least a few months, and then you'll look forward to it.
  • tomspearsix
    tomspearsix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My exercise of choice is swimming and I used to get strange looks when getting into the pool. I have body hair, I am over weight, and I wear swim trunks instead of a speedo. So, I did not look like your typical lap swimmer but the judgmental looks vanished after i would knock out a mile or more in the pool. If you do get some judgmental looks just shrug it off and do your thing and after a short period you wont even notice it anymore. Those strange looks may have always been in my head and was me just being self conscious but the big lesson is don't let other people's opinions stand in the way of YOUR health and YOUR happiness.
  • boldnewme
    boldnewme Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nothing you feel is ever stupid, and you will find that if you are thinking/feeling it; you are not alone. I had the same fear but realized that if I fed into it I'd only stay stuck where I was, so I started going faithfully and was surprised to find that instead of judgments I started receiving compliments and cheers. People notice when you are trying and more often than not they are excited to see your progress & happily encourage your efforts. I not only gained confidence, and better health but new positive people in my life that have bettered my journey :) So don't quit, it's not easy but it's totally worth it!
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I felt the same way, especially before going into the free weight room. I had to get it into my head that this was for ME and MY health, not anyone else. Now, I just go in, I'm usually the only female in there at the time I'm there and do my sets and leave.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I feel that way whenever I go to a new exercise class. I think that because I am heavy I won't be able to keep up and everyone is staring. To combat this I stand in the front of the class closest to the instructor so I can focus on what she or he is doing rather than what the other participants were doing. I am comfortable with using the machines because like everyone else I just put my headphones in and focus on that. Just stay focused on your goals and remember every one is there for the same reason: to workout!!! Good Luck
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I say get a t-shirt made that says "I don't care what YOU think...I'm in here for ME!" and wear it every time you go.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I completely understand this. I had the exact same anxieties when I first started going to the gym. I think it's perfectly normal to feel that way, but just remember that many people there started out in your shoes. Most likely, everyone there is just focusing on themselves and not even paying attention to you. I've noticed on a number of occasions heavier people at my gym who then, a few months down the road, have clearly lost weight. They're on their own health journey and it's incredible to see their progress!
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of social anxiety, especially when it comes to these things.. but you know what I do? I put on a song that makes me feel like kicking some *kitten*, put my earphones in and I crank it up loud and then I walk in that place like I own it. Seriously, it works every time. You have as much right to be there as anyone else-- go get it, girl!
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was nervous too, but when I walked into the private gym in my neighborhood, there was a sign on the wall reading

"You should never be embarassed about BEING out shape... be embarassed about STAYING out of shape."

It was a bit harsh at first, but once I though about I realized that I was one of the people doing something about my health and felt better.
  • cici13095
    Options
    I worked out at home, at night, by myself because I was so worried about that. I went with my fiance for the first time and I loved it. A couple people are always going to be rude or judgy, but that's anywhere you go, not just the gym, and they usually just keep to them selves. Don't worry about it!! Just remind yourself you're all there for the same reason, and you're getting a better workout because you're not wasting your time being obnoxious! :)