Worried about the gym

Options

Replies

• RileyEli11
    Options
    Put your best music, have your workouts ready on a pen and pencil/iPhone/android, and go at it!..I love planet Fitness also people just want to workout all I want to do is to be left alone with my reps..I hope the best for you :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    If they judge you then, f*** 'em.

This is going to be my new motto :)

this is a great attitude.

i wont say that people wont be paying attention to you because that may or may not be the case and going by many of the gym pet peeves i've seen on MFP, plenty pf people pay attention to stuff like what kind of work out clothes someone is wearing, their hair, their makeup, their workouts, the speed of their treadmill, their form on the stairmaster etc .

so really if people are looking at you and judging then eff 'em. as long as you are there to get your workout on then that's all that matters.

take your music, if you have a smartphone, use an app like JEFIT to track your weighted workouts and have fun.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think that's a pretty common feeling. It's always seemed to me that the gym was where fit beautiful people go...and honestly, it seems like there are a lot more of those there than people who are working on getting fit...like me.

I've never had anyone say anything negative to me (and I was quite overweight when I started going). They may think negative things, but I figure I don't care as long as they keep it to themselves. Mostly I go in, put my headphones on, do my thing and leave. I don't pay much attention to other people, and I figure they don't pay much attention to me either.

You just have to make yourself do it. Eventually you stop worrying about it and might even start enjoying it.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    hey you guys may get a laugh out of this one and it may help you out with this gym anxiety. Cant post a link to it directly but just click my name and click my website. Find the video that says "fat guy on a treadmill" probably one of the best vids I did from the past and enjoy :)

Or just mail me and ill send ya the link :)

Cheers,

Tof
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Some gyms offer a complementary personal training session. If your gym offers, take full advantage of it. Like someone else said, you will be more confident if you know exactly how to use the machines. Otherwise, the more you go, the easier it will become.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The gym used to scare the s@#$ out of me.... I was always looking around thinking that people were judging me harshly for being so out of shape.

Then one day, this super buff guy approached me... I thought, oh great, he's going to tell me to stop trying because I'm doing it all wrong. So not what he wanted. He said, "I'm not being creepy, honestly, but I wanted to let you know you are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the great work, I am really seeing a difference!" That not only made my day, but it really helped me feel more confident when I go.
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bring head phones and blast music
  • SoftHeat
    Options
    I never thought in a million years I would have gym anxiety... but I did!! I used to be a personal trainer and I LOVED working out at the gym -- because I was in great shape. Then I became pregnant, gained 70 pounds, moved to a new area and had my son. While tryng to lose the baby weight, every single time I went to the gym I had anxiety. I thought people were judging me because I was fat... and trust me, I was FAT. After a while it got easier and easier. Now I've lost most of the weight and I love going again. If a former personal trainer can have gym anxiety, anyone can. It will pass. Just get it there and remember that you are working out for YOU, not anyone else. And if they judge you then, f*** 'em.

I am so glad that you shared your story. I used to be super fit & go to the gym 4-6 times a week. I slipped out of my routine, gained a ton of weight & now am anxious about going to the gym I have a membership with.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking the step!

I think everyone has those feeling when they first start out. Like other have suggested, meet with the staff to make sure you're using the equipment properly then make your own plan and go for it!

At the beginning, although I've never had to say it to people, I tried to adopt the attitude of "I may be fat, but you're ugly on the inside. I'm losing weight, but you'll always be ugly."
  • cl101
    cl101 Posts: 8
    Options
    Don't worry. I'm pretty small (though I'm trying to lose weight still for my job) and I would never judge a larger person at the gym. When I see someone like that, I just think "good for them!". I know it can be hard to throw on some leggings and hit up the treadmill when there are fit girls in sports bras running 5ks next to you, but I can guarantee the vast majority won't even notice you. I frankly don't really look at anyone else in the gym
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK as well. I signed up with DW back in March when I was 300+lbs. I visited the one local to me and the one near where I work and found the staff at both really friendly & helpful which is why I picked them despite being the biggest person I saw in there by about 100lbs LOL. However I did notice on my visits that I didn't notice anyone posing about, everyone seemed into their workouts. So I had my induction and did get the feeling that the trainer didn't expect me to last but he was very helpful & answered all my questions.

At first I'd scurry to the machines in the darkest corner and was invisible to everyone else. After a 3 or 4 weeks of visiting practically daily other regulars started nodding hello and occasionally speaking. Now, a few people chat and I've had some positive comments about both my weight loss and my form when lifting. Funnily enough the closest I've come to a negative response is a couple of the larger women that were really chatty & friendly at first now I've lost a lot of weight and can now go far longer on the treadmill (running not walking) than they can don't even say morning now!

Joining the gym is one of the best things I've done. I love the routine, I love feeling fitter and an added bonus is the gym showers are hotter and more powerful than my home shower :D
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's all kinds of people who go to my gym from the super-fit to the super-not-fit. There's more super-fit and there's a reason for that. If you're not fit and you KEEP GOING and KEEP DOING YOUR DIET RIGHT, you'll be super-fit later. It takes at least a year so make it count.

Unfortunately I see a lot of people who are very out of shape stop coming, but the super-fits are there 4-7 days a week.
  • nnelson33
    Options
    HI! I actually read everyone's responses, and completely agree pretty much with what everyone else has said, but feel compelled to tell my version of the story!

I have been overweight my whole life and had lost and gained 15 lbs over and over again without really being able to break that cycle and make it stick. I would have MAJOR anxiety about entering the gym, to the point of where I would do this semi-weird OCD habit that I would do with my keys when I was walking past the big bay windows from my car to the entrance of the gym. I felt paranoid, like everyone was looking at me, thinking that I was fat, that I shouldn't be there, ugly, etc. etc. In the first six months of my journey, I pretty much just went to the locker room and headed straight upstairs to where the cardio machines were. Upstairs seemed to be where more of the heavier people were to use the machines (free weights and the "bros" were downstairs on 1st floor).

I started to stall out weight loss wise at the six month mark, and decided to invest in a trainer. THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT I HAVE EVER DONE. Yes, I was nervous about this too, but I am so so so happy I did it. I was able to work with him for another six months, and because I felt like I needed to prove myself to him, I worked my *kitten* off. In my mind, if I wasn't the skinniest or prettiest, you better damn well believe that I was going to work harder than anyone else in that gym. He showed me proper form, had me use free weights, and had me working out on the first floor with all of the people who intimidated me.

I have had multiple people come up to me and be like "WOW, I would have given up after the first set of the workout you just did". You may not feel the most confident in the beginning, but get in there and get the work done. There is no better feeling than that of accomplishment and I guarantee you will not give two ****s what anyone else thinks of you if you're putting in the work. A lot of people are on journeys to get healthier and those are truly those who I commend the most. It takes a lot of courage to try something new, so my hat is off to you.

Best of luck! :)
  • PaigeJMP
    PaigeJMP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym last year because I loved their group fitness classes. I can tell you that in the fitness classes there was every possible body shape, size and level of fitness. Also it is a women-only gym. It also had a few co-ed locations that I visited occasionally and never felt uncomfortable. When you are at the gym, I think it is easy to feel self-conscious, but just remember that everyone there is there for their own health and work-out....they really don't think about anyone else. thats my experience
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sounds stupid but I was worried about going to the gym. I feel people will judge me etc. anyone else had these worries/anxieties?

No rudeness please!

It's not stupid. But think about it for a moment- if they're going to judge you when you're in the gym, they'll judge you when they pass you on the street, too. People's assessment of each other doesn't start or stop when they pass through the doors of a gym. Their thoughts will always be their thoughts, and you won't be able to control that. The best thing you can do is focus on your efforts because only you will know the reality and truths of your situation. If you make sure that you're giving your best, then you have NOTHING to be ashamed of.

For a while, I felt self-conscious about running on the track at my gym because I was slow. But then I reminded myself that I was trying as hard as I could and I was recovering from an injury. So if one of these other people wanted to look down on me for not being as fast as they were, they could go to heck because they didn't know what they were talking about.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I will say I was psyched to join the gym. I hadn't been in a gym since I was in junior high! I remembered how much I'd loved trying the different machines. The gym I joined doesn't have half the machines my gym in junior high had, but I have an awesome trainer who works me super hard!!

I think the most embarrassing thing for me was when my trainer had to measure me. I've not been measured ever!!! Except by myself. I was terrified that someone would know my exact measurements...but he was awesome. And in just the first two months with all the extra muscle work I did I'd lost like 13 inches! I was amazed!!! I haven't measured in a while..but I will have him measure me again soon and see how far I've come since I started. There are always days I don't want to go to the gym..and I only go about twice a week...but I get there and 5-10 mins. into my workout I feel so much better! And in the end I'm very happy I went! :)

Good luck with your journey! :)
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My general response when people look at me doing my "Zombies, RUN!" walk around the block, or when I dye my hair bright red because it makes me feel good, or when I finally go to a gym--"I'm not doing this for you."

Plug in and plug along and you'll gain confidence!
  • Greg50by50
    Options
    It is no problem for a beginner to look like a beginner in the gym. Everyone was new once. When I started I was a fat, wimpy guy. I suppose a few people judged me, but at this point in my life, I guess I don't care about their opinion of me.
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love it :) I'm terrified of the gym so I'm starting at home until I'm a little more confident. I do have to say though... I was recently traveling and had promised myself I would use the hotel workout room at least twice. The first night, about 15 minutes into my walk a tiny, gorgeous woman jumped on the treadmill beside me and in about 5 min she had already reached my speed. I was so self conscious but then I realized that we're both there for the same exact reason. My journey might be different from hers, but just getting in there should be celebrated. Go in with your head held high :)
  • bs240z
    bs240z Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    all i have is respect for people in the gym getting it done. put your headphones on and do work! :-)