I Want to LOSE My Muscle

Options
Hi everyone!
I am new here. I am on a fitness journey and every time I googled a question, this website came up. So I joined!

My qualm is that I have massive calves. They are most likely genetic, and also a result of always being in sports as a child and a teen--specifically tennis. I am 152 lbs at 5'3, but appear extremely small and I HAVE to guess that's because of my muscle mass (my BMI says I'm overweight--ugh). I've always had strong legs (and a rather lean upper body), but according to others my calves have gotten bigger. Not in a "that's gross" way but in a "you've been working out I see" way. I can't wear high knee boots ever, and since I'm so short, I sometimes look wonky in skinny jeans, flat shoes, etc. etc. (although I will admit to looking KILLER in heels--too bad I don't wear heels). These comments discouraged me and I have always had a hate/kinda like relationship to my legs.

I started out at 156lbs about 3 weeks ago. I've radically changed my diet to cleaner eating and have been working out 5 or 6 days of the week for at least 40 minutes, strength training and cardio.

I REALLLLLY want to catabolize or at least lean out my calve muscles but am having no luck. I've read stretching, yoga/Pilates, and low impact, flat ground cardio (running, elliptical) can help--but I've been running since March and no results. Now I'm afraid my calves will forever be big. There is no fat around them, and they aren't retaining fluid--they are just big and disproportionate to my upper body. Moreover, since they are so big, I feel like even though I look trimmer, that number on the scale wont budge.

Can anyone relate?? I eat a more high protein diet to feed my muscles (I'm ALWAYS hungry) but while I want to promote strength and growth in some areas (my abs!) I want to lean out and get rid of other areas (my calves!) I'm also afraid of losing weight everywhere else and my calves staying the same. I'm no circus freak, but they make me upset.

For reference I'm a 27" waist (is that small? idk? I can see my ribs though) and my calves...I cannot believe I'm saying this...are 17" around the bigger part. ISN'T THAT MESSED UP?! :(

Replies

• thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am new here. I am on a fitness journey and every time I googled a question, this website came up. So I joined!

My qualm is that I have massive calves. They are most likely genetic, and also a result of always being in sports as a child and a teen--specifically tennis. I am 152 lbs at 5'3, but appear extremely small and I HAVE to guess that's because of my muscle mass (my BMI says I'm overweight--ugh). I've always had strong legs (and a rather lean upper body), but according to others my calves have gotten bigger. Not in a "that's gross" way but in a "you've been working out I see" way. I can't wear high knee boots ever, and since I'm so short, I sometimes look wonky in skinny jeans, flat shoes, etc. etc. (although I will admit to looking KILLER in heels--too bad I don't wear heels). These comments discouraged me and I have always had a hate/kinda like relationship to my legs.

I started out at 156lbs about 3 weeks ago. I've radically changed my diet to cleaner eating and have been working out 5 or 6 days of the week for at least 40 minutes, strength training and cardio.

I REALLLLLY want to catabolize or at least lean out my calve muscles but am having no luck. I've read stretching, yoga/Pilates, and low impact, flat ground cardio (running, elliptical) can help--but I've been running since March and no results. Now I'm afraid my calves will forever be big. There is no fat around them, and they aren't retaining fluid--they are just big and disproportionate to my upper body. Moreover, since they are so big, I feel like even though I look trimmer, that number on the scale wont budge.

Can anyone relate?? I eat a more high protein diet to feed my muscles (I'm ALWAYS hungry) but while I want to promote strength and growth in some areas (my abs!) I want to lean out and get rid of other areas (my calves!) I'm also afraid of losing weight everywhere else and my calves staying the same. I'm no circus freak, but they make me upset.

For reference I'm a 27" waist (is that small? idk? I can see my ribs though) and my calves...I cannot believe I'm saying this...are 17" around the bigger part. ISN'T THAT MESSED UP?! :(

I don't think anyone wants to lose muscle. the only way to lose muscle is stop working out
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    When doing strength training, couldn't you just skip leg day? It'll take a while, but they'll eventually go down if you just don't use them so much. Plus building muscle in other parts of your body should help even out your look.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You're probably being too hard on yourself, but lets say you're not. A huge part of your physical build is due to genetics alone, something you can't control. So when you say you have large calves due to xyz, I think about all the sports I've played and how I DONT have large calves, and how much people try to grow their calves and can't. What you're attributing to sports you probably got from ya mama...

Also, calves are a bear to get rid of I figure... since you use them in all the activities that are most efficient for catabolising them. I have to imagine (so I'm not sure) that just like fat, where you loose it depends in large part on the way you body makes decisions about where to break down muscle for energy (read: genetics). So your calves might be the last thing to go after your arms or something else.

Post a picture, I'm curious as to what ideal you're holding yourself to, and how they actually look. Most guys I know like a pair of athletic legs.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Pics of massively huge, muscular calves?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Agree with balancing your physique by working other areas.
    Disagree with rejecting your body's natural attributes.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Guess what? It's probably not all muscle.

You'd be surprised at what fat you could be carrying in places that "appear" to only be muscle/primarily muscle simply because they're firm and/or can be flexed. You might have some great muscle underneath, but until you've lost weight, it's a good bet to focus on reducing body fat % (which HAVING muscle helps accomplish) instead of shooting yourself in the calf.

If you're truly a great deal of muscle at 153~ at 5'3", I'd... call it into question. If you're THAT well-muscled, then yeah, go ahead and eat at a deficit while laying on a couch doing nothing. Afterall, your self-esteem is more important than your health as you age (bone density, for one).

Actually, how about just therapy to start. If you're legitimately thinking of catabolizing a necessary part of your human health because "isn't that messed up," it might be time to talk to someone to deal with how you see yourself.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Pics of massively huge, muscular calves?

This ^^^^^^^^^^
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Calves are very very very hard to get rid of. Its a very tough muscle and well if your walking or moving around you'll keep on using them. Just enjoy your body for what it is. The only way you'd be able to make them smaller is through surgery or starvation. Basically your stuck with them.

Some people would kill to be gifted to have larger calves but due to genetics and other factors end up with chicken legs.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You are overweight. Your calves need to be big because they need to carry you around all day. If you lose weight, your calves will get smaller. Do you wear a lot of high heels? This will contribute to larger calf muscle.

Trying to lose calf muscle on purpose will result in you losing muscle all over, which is very bad for your health.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

I have a 24" waist and 14" calves. I think my calves are d*mned sexy.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Guess what? It's probably not all muscle.

You'd be surprised at what fat you could be carrying in places that "appear" to only be muscle/primarily muscle simply because they're firm and/or can be flexed. You might have some great muscle underneath, but until you've lost weight, it's a good bet to focus on reducing body fat % (which HAVING muscle helps accomplish) instead of shooting yourself in the calf.

If you're truly a great deal of muscle at 153~ at 5'3", I'd... call it into question. If you're THAT well-muscled, then yeah, go ahead and eat at a deficit while laying on a couch doing nothing. Afterall, your self-esteem is more important than your health as you age (bone density, for one).

Actually, how about just therapy to start. If you're legitimately thinking of catabolizing a necessary part of your human health because "isn't that messed up," it might be time to talk to someone to deal with how you see yourself.

^^All of this.

I'm really not getting this recent fad in hating your leg muscles. I noticed my calves were getting smaller the other day and it made me kind of sad. Nothing, IMO, is sexier than a fit girl with nice strong thick legs! That's what I'm hoping to achieve, not sure how it will pan out as last time I was skinny it wasn't thru any exercising other than 8 hours of walking a day(being 19 years old and just skinny due to a job that involved non-stop walking). Who cares if you can't wear knee high boots? I'm pretty sure they make wide boots as well, just order a pair of those. No one will know they're special wide boots without you telling them!
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    THIS^^^ Soccer legs for the win! Damn.

Also, and maybe it's because I'm from Miami... but knee high boots are kinda stupid. Knee high socks on the other hand, crazy sexy, and with big calves... omfg....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Genetics works both ways. People with great calves won't get rid of them and people with crappy calves can't get them to look much better.
    Unfortunately the REAL only way to lose that calf muscle is not to use them at all for a long period of time so they can atrophy. So moving around in a wheel chair for a year should do it. But I doubt you're going to go that route.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eugovogue
    Options
    I am sorry to cause such a fury with this post. Perhaps I do have body image issues. But once my mom told me she was worried my calves were getting to big (and wanted me to go to the doc to see if I had hormone issues), I got hypervigilant about my legs.

I've posted pictures in my profile of my legs. One is from Jan and other from Feb of this year. Since then I've lost like 7lbs, but the calves are the same.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I am sorry to cause such a fury with this post. Perhaps I do have body image issues. But once my mom told me she was worried my calves were getting to big (and wanted me to go to the doc to see if I had hormone issues), I got hypervigilant about my legs.

I've posted pictures in my profile of my legs. One is from Jan and other from Feb of this year. Since then I've lost like 7lbs, but the calves are the same.

Really, your mom is crazy. You have nice legs, normal proportions, so that's that. You can stop worrying now :flowerforyou:

Edit: And you're black?? Really?? That just makes it work eeeeven MORE for you :wink: Beautiful girl, stop worrying.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

That sounds like a root issue there--trust me, I know how that goes.

Your legs look extremely proportionate to me; I would never think you had "big calves," at all. I generally don't like to get sucked into posts that are internet-validation, but you really, really don't look like you're describing yourself as.

Save your LBM. Just work on reducing body fat % to see if that makes a difference. Perhaps focusing on the positives your strong legs give you (running faster, carrying your body, etc.) can help you get the self-esteem you need.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Your legs look perfectly proportional and sexy.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Most guys I know like a pair of athletic legs.
    Did I somehow miss the part where she mentioned caring about what most guys like? I know that's what I base all my fitness/performance goals around... :huh: