I Want to LOSE My Muscle

Options

Replies

• deaddawn
    deaddawn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are sure that it's muscle and not fluid retension there isn't much you can do.

They make a limited selection of calf boots for plus sized women. plus size would normally mean women who are larger all over but these are boots so get in the right frame of mind and go take a look at plus sized clothing sites that also have shoes. There isn't a large selection but there are some.

My calves are 18. I'm also 5'10 and a little overweight. When I'm at a perfect weight my calves are around 17. I still can't wear regular boots without them being tight.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    I've posted this link a few times:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

The point to take away from this is that she looked better when she weighed more. Embrace your calves. Keep up with the strength training. Make your body into a fat burning machine by packing on the muscles. You will look leaner for it.

oh wow that story actually motivated me a lot! thanks for sharing
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have 16" calves. Since joining MFP, I've gone from 190 lbs to 140 lbs, and I haven't lost any inches off my calves at all (despite losing 8 inches off my waist). My calves have always been huge… Even my mom, who I think I inherited them from, has smaller calves than I do. When I was a teenager, I would cry because I couldn't find knee-high boots that would fit me (and in Canada, it's a bit more of a big deal) until I found some that laced up the front. I've just learned to accept them. I'm pretty happy with my muscular legs these days.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight you can lose inches BUT trying to lose your calf muscles..I am not sure that's gonna be possible.

Whether I gain weight or lose weight my calves are always tremendously huge! it's the number one thing I am complemented on (besides my arms)..

They aren't going anywhere. I have had them since I was a kid.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump for interesting thread :smile:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For reference I'm a 27" waist (is that small? idk? I can see my ribs though) and my calves...I cannot believe I'm saying this...are 17" around the bigger part. ISN'T THAT MESSED UP?! :(

I have a 24" waist and 14" calves. I think my calves are d*mned sexy.

26" waist & 14.5" calves.
    I'll take your 17" calves, I WANT epic calves

ETA: I just looked at your profile pics. Your calves are lovely and very well proportioned to the size of your thighs. I'm completely jealous of that.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah if I had huge calf muscles I'd want to lose them too...

19313071_8149.jpg

Oh wait... no I wouldn't.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

19313071_8149.jpg

Drool
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    you actually have very nice legs....

If they were mine, I'd keep the calves.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to cause such a fury with this post. Perhaps I do have body image issues. But once my mom told me she was worried my calves were getting to big (and wanted me to go to the doc to see if I had hormone issues), I got hypervigilant about my legs.

I've posted pictures in my profile of my legs. One is from Jan and other from Feb of this year. Since then I've lost like 7lbs, but the calves are the same.

Really, your mom is crazy. You have nice legs, normal proportions, so that's that. You can stop worrying now :flowerforyou:

Edit: And you're black?? Really?? That just makes it work eeeeven MORE for you :wink: Beautiful girl, stop worrying.

None of your profile pictures show any ladies with large calves.
  • nafizur
    Options
    to lose muscle, eat below your TEE
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 5'2", 140 lbs with about 16" calves. I don't fit in most knee high boots, can't get into skinny jeans. My weight and measurements have fluctuated for years, and my calves have only ever changed by 1/4 - 1/2". I believe calves are mostly muscle so it is very hard to make them any smaller.

My advice (whether you want it or not :laugh: ) is to learn to love them. Or at least learn to live with them. I bet you're the only that notices and has a problem with them. I am working on accepting mine and seeing that they are strong and help me accomplish many things (like improving my mile run time, biking 100 km of trails in 2 days and so on).

As for knee high boots - justfab.ca (I don't know if there's an American version though) has "wide-calf" boots. I actually found a pair that fits! I still can't wear jeans under them, but leggings do fit.
  • One_Fur_luck
    Options
    It baffles me what women worry about sometimes.

It's the big picture that counts... We are not walking around going OH MY GOD, look at her calves....don't think I could date her.

TRUST me.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Probably OP just stores fat in lower body. I'd guess there's not a lot of definition in the legs. Losing muscle isn't appropriate. Lifting, protein, calorie deficit should achieve her objectives.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    They look to be in proportion with the rest of you. This is a good thing, because as you lose weight, they will probably get smaller.

IMO, large calves are attractive - I wish mine were bigger. The grass is always greener OP. I'm sorry your mom made you self conscious, but I doubt she meant any harm.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It baffles me what women worry about sometimes.

It's the big picture that counts... We are not walking around going OH MY GOD, look at her calves....don't think I could date her.

TRUST me.

Maybe our goals aren't all about what would make YOU want to date us?
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You have gorgeous legs! Forget about skinny jeans and rock those dresses and skirts which show them off. Not all clothing flatters all shapes. I can't pull off the skinny jeans boots look either even with 14" calves, I have short legs for my height and big quads.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

19313071_8149.jpg

hawt
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Your legs look perfectly proportional to me. I grew up thinking I had abnormally small eyes because my Mom, brother and sister have these huge, somewhat protruding eyes. It's funny the ideas we can get in our heads. I say embrace your beautiful muscular legs!