NET CALORIES???HELP ME!!!!!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I burn over 400 running a 5k every single time I run it. I'm a female, 5'7", 171 lbs (not severely obese, 12 lbs overweight.)

No, you don't. Net burn for you is a little over 300 calories.

On what do you base your disagreement? I am 5'7", 156.6 pounds and using a heart rate monitor burned 425 calories for my 3.2 mile run.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I burn over 400 running a 5k every single time I run it. I'm a female, 5'7", 171 lbs (not severely obese, 12 lbs overweight.)

And you know this because you use my heart rate monitor or my BodyMedia device? Get off your high horse, every time I read one of your posts I want to smack you.

hehehehehehe :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

On what do you base your disagreement? I am 5'7", 156.6 pounds and using a heart rate monitor burned 425 calories for my 3.2 mile run.

Already answered repeatedly, and at length.

HRMs don't measure calorie burn. They measure heart rate, and then guess at calories burn. Unfortunately heart rate does not correlate well with calorie burn except under specific conditions.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't get the net calories concept. Why would you eat back the calories you burn if weight loss is the goal? It seems like people are just finding excuses to eat more, instead of using exercise to actually aid in their goal.
  • Bottom line is you can put together a spreadsheet that will give you back better data that is available on most sites and if you cant go to healthsidekick because it takes out the bad equations and just simply tells you what you are doing and how it relates to weight loss. It is a much more accurate way to equate how things are impacting your weight.
    Should you use the food and exercise on MFP or any other site? Depends how accurate you want to be and how much weight you have to lose. If you have to lose a 25 pounds plus you can lose weight with being general. As you get down in weight most need to be more analytical about what they are doing, but you are way better off developing your own food and exercise data base and then consistently log it and bouncing it off your weight and bfp.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I don't get the net calories concept. Why would you eat back the calories you burn if weight loss is the goal? It seems like people are just finding excuses to eat more, instead of using exercise to actually aid in their goal.

Because the deficit is already built into your goal before exercise. So unless your goal is set improperly, the MFP calorie goal is your net goal. Having a higher deficit is not necessarily better.

As for using exercise to aid in reaching a properly set goal, then yes, exercise gives you the option of eating more than you otherwise would be able to to achieve the same deficit.