Snacks for the evening

Options

Replies

• lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The possibilities are endless depending upon what you are craving.....Sweet-fat free pudding, Edy's fruit bar. Salty/crunchy-hummus and pita chips or veggies. Special K or Fiber One bars. True hunger snack-lean turkey or ham and lowfat string cheese or laughing cow/baby bel cheese. 100 calorie english muffin with peanut/almond butter or greek cream cheese.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I generally choose from:

Italian Breadsticks (22 cal each)
    Pumpkin seeds (1 oz / 25g is small handful and 154 cals)
    Various other nuts and seeds (but don't overdo the quantities)
    Sweet Chilli Tiger Nuts if I need something a bit spicier (40g 217 cal)

I use these to beat the 3 o'clock munchies at work too as there always various treats around... personally try and avoid anything with added sugar or artifical sweeteners (which includes everything labelled low or reduced fat) because it generally gives me headaches and makes me feel yuk - especially chocolate. I'm enjoying the satsumas and clementines that have just come into season here....
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    tonight I HAD to have real popcorn. BUT i logged the oil. it's so much better than air popped...
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 celery sticks with 2 tbsp of regular hummus. - filling yet low cal.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My new favorite snack is Indiana popcorn FIT seasalt popcorn...about 35 calories a cup. It comes in other flavors also. No trans fats, gluten free, zero cholesterol and it doesn't taste like cardboard. ; )

I also buy popcorners, I get the small bags, kettlecorn flavor, about 140 cals a bag...tastes like popcorn but no hulls...they are chips.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why not quit the habit by not having anything? Replacing the habit with healthier ( ? Lower calorie?) options is still feeding the habit. Don't eat because you're bored, find something else to do. If you're hungry, you didn't eat enough at dinner.
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would Train myself not to eat after dinner, it's a habit. In a few weeks you won't have those cravings. I just have tea, water or maybe almond milk. If I'm too low on my caloric goal I would have a snack but that is the only reason. Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry. Otherwise I'd save calories for this time of night and prepare snacks accordingly.
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    If calories allow I like to have two pieces of toast with 1 serving of natural peanut butter.

It's warm. It's filling. It's protein. And it's YUM!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    If calories allow I like to have two pieces of toast with 1 serving of natural peanut butter.

Haha....PB is fat. You're kidding yourself if you think it's a protein!
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options

I'm not sure one can just simplify everything and dismiss others opinions. This forum can be used to help and motivate people or used to tear people down. I personally appreciate the positive responses and advice.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a nice cup of coffee or tea. Caffeine doesn't affect me too much, but you may want to do decaff. It is warm and keeps your hands and mind busy.

Cut up celery or carrots helps for my snacking. If you need real food try low fat string cheese or low fat cottage cheese. The casein proteins digest slower and if you eat cheese before bed it reduces the amount of muscle you lose at night.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I'm not sure one can just simplify everything and dismiss others opinions. This forum can be used to help and motivate people or used to tear people down. I personally appreciate the positive responses and advice.

I never commented that there was anything wrong with eating PB on bread. I could very easily, but that's my opinion so I'll keep it to myself. Calling PB a protein source is wishful thinking!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I save half my dinner to eat later on in the evening, or I heat up leftovers.
  • beckibell2
    beckibell2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    These are my daytime snacks, evening I'm a icecream person ...bars for 150-160 calories...there are some great ones out there
    I cook a chopped apple in the microwave with raw cranberries
    (fruit and filling)
    air popcorn
    snapea crisps, recently found and love but I have to moderate
    carrots and goldfish crackers = crunch & salt
    banana
    assorted fruit
    chips and salsa
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    granny smith apple,
    banana,
    grapes,
    strawberries,
    greek yogurt 0% with some kind of fruit.
    Fruit and some form of green veggie(mustard greens, kale, spinach) smoothie(usual add whey protein as I rarely reach my daily calories. SO ADDICTED TO MY NINJA. lol)
    Orowheat wheat sandwhich thins with turkey(whole sandwich under 200 calories)
    Leftovers
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,713 Member
    Options
    Just made roast chick peas. A great TV snack, if you like something savoury and crispy.

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/10/exactly-how-i-roast-my-chickpeas/

About 100 cals for 25 grams of finished product (half of a can of chick peas) if you use an oil sprayer.
  • Malaylah
    Options
    I freeze light cool whip and eat it like icecream , sometimes with no sugar added caramel sauce (smuckers) and walnuts
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I thought it said, "Smacks for the evening". *kicks rocks*
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like greek yogurt with fruit and a little bit of kashi go lean on top - it makes me feel like I'm having a dessert parfait. If I'm in a salty mood, I have a bag of 100 calorie popcorn or pretzels with hummus.
  • sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (usually Chobani), 6 oz portion, with a tablespoon or so of granola or slivered almonds in it to add crunch. The awesome part is that it's filling and it helps me get more protein and calcium in, so it's not "wasted" calories. I just usually leave a few hundred calories at the end of the day to allow for it.