Anyone want to maintain through the holidays?

Options
I still have about ten pounds to get to my goal, but I would really like to maintain through December. Is it possible? Anyone have any tips?

Replies

• kinzieplatt
    kinzieplatt Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING IN MODERATION! Easier said than done, I know, LOL! You can still celebrate the holidays without taking 4 servings of mashed potatoes!

Kinzie
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I plan to maintain during the holidays becaus eI'm going to Louisiana to spend time with my family ..My plan is to eat what I want but in moderation , track everything and stop at 1500 calories a day . I will exercise at least once a day and go from there.
  • MissDesiAmaris
    MissDesiAmaris Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That is pretty much what I did for Thanksgiving. I just went and changed my diet profile to Maintain Weight and I didn't gain a thing. I didn't feel at all guilty and it was totally worth it!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I was still losing last Christmas and went into Maintenance over the holidays. It worked. I was careful with my choices, enjoyed some sweets, wine, drinks, ate at meals (making sure to not overeat but enjoy everything).
    It's all about being aware of what you're eating. It's surprising how often one can eat a cookie, candy or reach for any food without noticing it. Just pay attention and notice what you eat.
    Remember that to maintain, you can eat an "extra" 500 calories per day (if your goal is set to losing 1 lb a week). That's a lot of Christmas enjoyment ever day and you won't gain or lose. You'll maintain. You really can have it all, with a little bit of awareness.

Have fun over the holidays; just remain aware and enjoy.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There is a huge percentage of people on this site who are not trying to lose weight at all, so maintaining through the holidays is status quo... and believe it or not, there are people who are purposfully trying to bulk (gain weight) right now too.

So yeah. :wink:
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    going to Dubai for Christmas and definitely my aim is not to lose weight but maintain...not even sure how and if i'll log the food we we will eat out every day and the food is different from European...
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am six pounds away from my goal weight and I always maintain throughout the holidays. January 1st, calories go down. Use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to determine your maintanance calories.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. At this point, I don't even want the number on the scale to change! I just want to lose inches of fat on my stomach and over-all just tone up. I am just trying to stay focused on that. I will treat the holidays the same as other days though and eat right.. but am I going to avoid parties/family because of the treats? Nah.. stuff doesn't even phase me at this point.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That's my goal. I'm hoping that 1 serving at a meal, less carbs, eating slowly, maybe skipping a dessert here or there, and ignoring the snacks should cover it. Not the booze though, that's never in moderation :P
  • SundayGirl1989
    Options
    I'm hoping to lose over the Christmas period - not a lot maybe just a couple of lbs, but i'd settle for maintaining. I just don't want to gain like i do every year! Not only do I have the Christmas festivities, I also have a hen-do, a meal with old work friends AND a wedding all in December so this is going to be a tough month for me.
    I intend to log daily, even if i go over, because i think it will help me have more self-control.
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    Maintain? I'm actually starting a cut on December 20th lol Moderation, patience, tenacity and courage are going to have to serve me well. If you really want it you'll find a way.

Keep tracking EVERY SINGLE DAY. It'll make you aware and keep you sane. And if you end up going over one night don't freak out, the hormonal response induced by the stress of failing is far worse than simply just going over. Look at eating in a big picture sense. Do weekly calorie counts and stick and work with that. Daily is nice, but you don't eat for only one single day at a time, it's an ongoing process.
  • amrichards0711
    amrichards0711 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. I'm about 11 pounds from my goal, and I have managed to maintain over the past week since Thanksgiving, but not lose. I want to lose one more pound (I had originally really wanted to lose 20 pounds by Christmas Eve, and I'm currently at 19 pounds lost), and then just maintain until the first of the year. If you want, send me a friend request; maybe we can support each other in maintaining and not gaining over the next few weeks.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I try hard to maintain everyday. It's just getting harder lately. :wink:
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yep, thats my plan. I have about 10 lbs left to goal and i'm happy to maintain until January!
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight last week and am looking forward to maintaining for the month of December before I switch my focus to weight lifting and Pilates. It'll be a fun challenge to see how I hold up in the face of all the goodies. I'm excited about the fact that I can indulge more now that I'm done losing.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    So here is my rules that have worked since December 2012:

1. No seconds on anything at no time.
    2. I will only eat a sugar laden something on Christmas Eve
    3. No bread, pasta rice or potatoes
    4. no more than one serving of cheese a day.
    5. Beef no more than 3 times a week

Pretty open on everything else, in moderation, and keeps me away from all my "red light" foods.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    YES you can maintain! Many of us here are in challenge groups this month and last month and are even LOSING during the holidays!! (In spite of 3 office potlucks, 2 holiday parties and 1 Thanksgiving Feast, I am very proud to say I've lost 8.6 lbs since November 1st with plans to lose a few more before December 31st.)

Why on earth do people think gaining weight is a requirement during the winter holiday season?? As a reminder, HEALTHY LIVING DOES NOT STOP IN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER. The holidays consist of only a few days during a 60-90 day period (depending on your cultural practices). For me, Thanksgiving is ONE DAY, Christmas is ONE DAY and New Year's is ONE DAY. Learning to live healthy, being committed to exercise and fitness, and making good choices is a 365 day per year challenge. We will always be faced with celebrations, office potlucks, parties, etc. Learning how to plan ahead for them and learning how to enjoy one festivity at a time without gorging one's self, is all a part of the life lessons to be mastered. On "feast days" I have already built extra exercise into my week and extra calorie deficits into the other days/meals surrounding the event. While "feasting" I enjoy a couple of bites of whatever I want and am plenty full and satiated by the time my plate is empty. (Remember - If It Fits Your Macros - as you fill your plate. So no foods are off limits as long as you have accounted for them in your daily/weekly plan.) I LOG EVERYTHING EVERYDAY so I can see where I am at before and after the fact and make adjustments as needed. Also, logging in after a holiday luncheon or party gives me valuable data to consider for the next event. Even if I end up over calorie count for the day ... just means that was my "cheat day" for the week and life goes on.

In summary, why stop making progress now? Why wait until the New Year to make a difference? My family is elated at my commitment to taking good care of myself. My MFP friends in my challenge groups are so encouraging, and my friends at work compliment me on how great I look. Why stop now?? I have worked hard to develop good habits. I don't want to let myself down, my family down, or my MFP challenge buddies down. Be the inspiration that others are looking for this time of year. JUST DO IT!!

Hope this sermon helps you through the coming weeks, along with any other readers who may come along ... :drinker:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I still have my goal set to lose, but am okay if I maintain my weight. I am actually working more on my fitness goal than my weight goal right now.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am on the last 5-8 pounds. Since Thanksgiving, I cut sugar, flours, processed foods, alcohol, and dairy with the exception of egg whites. Eating veggies, fruits, protein and grains. So far, since I am petite, I have lost 2 pounds. harder to maintain my daily deficit as main focus is DIET alone!! Tougher and tougher everyday. I want to push the hardest so by the time New Year's comes around, I no longer have resolution to lose weight!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    hardest week ever! lol, the 22nd is my birthday, the 24th is my mom's birthday, and the 25th is Christmas. so much good food!!