Anyone want to maintain through the holidays?

2»

Replies

• tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    I am only 5 pounds away from my goal, so I want to stay focused just like it was any other time of the year. I stay within my daily goals and if by chance I do go over (like Thanksgiving by 199 calories) I watch what I do the rest of the week and just stay under a bit each day. I really hesitate to treat the holiday season as a time to overindulge, since, well let's be honest, that what landed me here. I refuse to give myself permission to overeat. Holidays are special, but not because of the food. Good luck to you!
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    I've been maintaining since June and plan to continue throughout the holiday season. So far, as of yesterday's weigh-in, I'm holding steady. Unless I have a meltdown of epic proportions, this will be the first year where I haven't gained at least 10-15 lbs during Oct.-Jan. It's all about adhering to good habits while learning to fit the usual holiday goodies into my meal plan.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Absolutely, I want to maintain through the holidays and always. I have a few tricks that seem to work for me - for example, I don't eat desserts of any kind unless it is truly a special occasion - birthday of close family or friend (I skip that office cake) , christmas eve at my church, etc.

Another Trick is to stand as much as possible at any gathering. Drink water - or get a no calorie or low calorie beverage to sip ...if you are standing holding a glass, really hard to eat.

Seriously, I look at it as my gift to everyone else.. if I leave food behind, someone else can have it.

I gave up recreational eating for my health. I had a great time with it till I was 53.. already had all my share!
  • juliehhallberg
    juliehhallberg Posts: 21 Member
    Wow, thanks for all the replies and advice! To answer the question, "why stop now?"....I just finished a VERY INTENSE weight loss challenge, and I'm ready to ease off for a little while. That doesn't mean I want to go completely crazy, I'm just looking forward to being able to eat at maintenance for awhile.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    I am also 10 lbs. away from my goal. I have been stuck here for quite a while, so I have set my goal to maintenance through the December. I'm hoping this will kind of reset my metabolism and when I cut back again in January I can lose that last 10. I did not gain anything after Thanksgiving and I'm expecting the same results after Christmas. As long as I log and am mindful of what I am eating, I seem to do well at maintaining.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    I'm in maintenance and intend to continue as I am. Actually I have a very small deficit built in at the moment, but that's mostly a bit of mental trickery to keep myself in check.

I have no plans to chronically overeat over the holidays.

ETA I answered like this because this is the Maintaining Weight area of MFP. If I was in the process of losing weight then yes, it might be fun to eat at maintenance level just for the holidays to enjoy a sense of overindulging a bit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    if you breakdown the "holidays" you are really only looking at four days = thanksgiving, christmas, new years, and christmas party ...so on the those four days eat what you would like; however, the rest of the holiday season eat in a deficit..
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    if you breakdown the "holidays" you are really only looking at four days = thanksgiving, christmas, new years, and christmas party ...so on the those four days eat what you would like; however, the rest of the holiday season eat in a deficit..

This is pretty much how I approach most weeks. I don't like to feel 'deprived' ever :drinker:
  • juliehhallberg
    juliehhallberg Posts: 21 Member

This is pretty much what my plan is. I actually lost weight over thanksgiving. I have a Christmas party, Christmas dinner, a new years party, and a new years day breakfast...and that is ALL I'm planning for. However, I have been eating at a large deficit, and I would like to go a little "easier" with that for the month of December. By "easier", I mean at maintenance calories, not that I want to go on an eating free-for-all. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I still have about ten pounds to get to my goal, but I would really like to maintain through December. Is it possible? Anyone have any tips?

Of course it's possible. I've been maintaining for 7 months and will continue to do so. Just eat a maintenance level of calories and continue to get your fitness on. With only 10 Lbs to lose you should lose really slowly anyway so you will probably want to readdress your calorie goals when you start back up and really start focusing on body comp/re-comp at this point anyway.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Wow, thanks for all the replies and advice! To answer the question, "why stop now?"....I just finished a VERY INTENSE weight loss challenge, and I'm ready to ease off for a little while. That doesn't mean I want to go completely crazy, I'm just looking forward to being able to eat at maintenance for awhile.

Maintaining after an intense period of effort is a good thing (read up on "de-loading"), especially when consciously planned. Do it because you need a break, want to re-fuel and let your body re-set so you are rejuvenated to push for the next leg toward your goal. Not because of the time of year. That way you will always assure yourself you are on the right track and making your decisions for the right (healthy) reasons!

Best wishes to you!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Drink eggnog in little tiny glasses.
  • I feel ya and I'm in the same boat - it's hard to stay on track during the Holidays with all the feasting and everything. Here is a really easy guide for staying on track during the Holidays: http://nutritionalsavvy.com/2013/12/09/5-strategies-to-stop-holiday-weight-gain-in-its-tracks/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I might, but I'll try to stay under my goal anyway. I just won't sweat it if I'm a bit over... as long as I don't eat above my TDEE every day.