What lifting does for me... What does it for you?

Options
A week ago I competed in my first powerlifting competition. It was an amazing experience, and the first of many to come. I am posting today to encourage you not to just lift heavy, but to find your fitness passion, embrace it fully and become the best you can at it, whether its running or skating or zumba or football. just figure it out and do it.

I have lifted for the past 2.5 years, mostly as cross training after losing 70 pounds and training for triathlon and running races. One year ago, while at the tail end of marathon training, I sustained an injury that completely prevented me from running. I decided to start lifting full time. I never turned back to running.

I followed programs like new rules of lifting from women the first year and stronglifts for the second year. When I decided to start focused powerlifting training, I chose Wendler's 5/3/1 and was so empowered by how strong I was getting. I ended up getting a 672 total and placed 1st in my class at the meet, also setting state records for all three lifts. My Gym totals are higher (735) but thats typical :wink:

120-001.jpg
260lb squat PR

a418451b-e149-49d4-8f15-55a7494fd786.jpg
Just 5 days after my meet, I decided since I felt good and strong I would see just how much I had in me, and added 15 pounds to my meet squat PR!

9de92294-d934-4d3d-a590-ff763bbcab0a.jpg
I was always overweight and obese, never once played a sport or made fitness a part of my life... until 2 and a half years ago. Now life is fun, fulfilling and fabulous! For me, I've come to a point where its not all about aesthetics anymore, as that is a very miserable place to be. Do something simply because you enjoy it, and in time aesthetics will fall in line.

Do what you love, love what you do and dont take this all too seriously :flowerforyou: And dont be afraid to TAKE UP SPACE!

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You are a lifting goddess. That's an awesome outcome for your first meet, too! I couldn't help but laugh when reading, "Swole for life!" :laugh:

But lifting has empowered me as well. I used to be underweight as a kid and was unable to play football and other sports. Because of the increased lean mass from lifting and eating properly, I'm now capable of doing amazing feats that I wouldn't have thought were possible back then.
  • addie70
    addie70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Cheri. That is an awesome story. You give me motivation!
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Congrats.. super inspiring.. love your story.. I too and super passionate about lifting.. ;) people around me have learned to not even ask about it.. its what I live and breath. ;)

thanks for sharing. ;)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Love! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I started lifting less than a month ago and nowhere near that heavy, but I'm working my way up. What an incredible life change on your part - so inspiring! :happy:
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Dang, 275!! And here I am excited that I finally can do it with just the bar :laugh:
    Go you though! That's awesome, and congrats on first place in your division!! You look GREAT!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You are a lifting goddess. That's an awesome outcome for your first meet, too! I couldn't help but laugh when reading, "Swole for life!" :laugh:

But lifting has empowered me as well. I used to be underweight as a kid and was unable to play football and other sports. Because of the increased lean mass from lifting and eating properly, I'm now capable of doing amazing feats that I wouldn't have thought were possible back then.

Ah shucks, thanks! :blushing: And I occasionally have to get in touch with my bro side, maybe I just like watching Dom Mozetti at brosciencelife on youtube a little too much. hmm...

And freakin awesome work yourself! I actually intend on gaining about 15 pounds of lean mass in the next few years. take that stereo types!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Congrats.. super inspiring.. love your story.. I too and super passionate about lifting.. ;) people around me have learned to not even ask about it.. its what I live and breath. ;)

thanks for sharing. ;)

Live and breathe... yeah, I hear ya! Thank goodness my husband doesn't hate lifting, or I'd be screwed.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Inspirational! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    You ROCK!!!!!! So proud of you!! Thanks for inspiring us all!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Cheri!!! Woot! Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on your first meet!

It's funny that people ask me all of the time if 1) I am training for competition 2) Training to be a fitness model (wah? yah, no!)

I love lifting because I can push myself farther than I have ever been. It is so empowering to know that "strong" is a way of life for me. And I do it just for me because I can. *Blessed*
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    Damn! Mirin those arms (and those lifts)!
  • manda79rn
    manda79rn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    WHAT a transformation.. and you are awesome. :)
    Thank you for sharing!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    great transformation!

and wowzers on the 275 squat :love:
  • dimetime
    dimetime Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow you rock!!! I love the way lifting makes me feel.... Its almost like a high!!! Good to see such a powerful woman that is proud of it!!!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats on 275! I couldn't imagine getting that high, wow.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    great results and success!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first meet (and your PRs). Looking forward to many more updates for future meets.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    whoa:flowerforyou:
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are beautiful!:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!