Weird Diet?

lisalsd1
lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
First off, I am not into fad diets. I feel like I need to state that at the beginning. Anyway, I was listening to a morning radio show and a celeb diet was mentioned: The Mushroom Diet. Supposedly, you replace one meal a day with mushrooms.

Is it just me or does this sound completely reasonable? Mushrooms are a food. I do really like mushrooms. What do you think? Awesome idea? Or stupid idea?

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Stupid.

It is just calorie restriction.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    Are they Magic Mushrooms?

If they are, that's a fad diet I can finally get behind.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Nah, unfortunately just regular mushrooms. Now that I think about it...it probably is just calorie restriction. I still might give it 2 weeks though. Mushrooms are great!
  • Stupid.

Yep, that's what most diets are. Replacing a meal with something low calorie.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I love mushrooms and think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. As someone who once ate a big, dry, gigantic mushroom cap in the corner of a bar bathroom I don't recommend large quantities of mushrooms at any one time. They are a better accessory food/drug.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Stupid.

I don't like mushrooms. But it is just calorie restriction, so if that's what works for you to eat at the proper deficit, go for it. There is nothing special about it being mushrooms, or Special K cereal, or tomato soup..... Calories In< Calories Out
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    i did mushrooms once, trippiest 12 hours of my life
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    mushrooms are very low, so i guess that's how it works
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    I love mushrooms and think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. As someone who once ate a big, dry, gigantic mushroom cap in the corner of a bar bathroom I don't recommend large quantities of mushrooms at any one time. They are a better accessory food/drug.

this, and also I would add that they have to be the *right* type of mushrooms in order to have a good time. otherwise you're just eating fungi.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Why do these posters always claim to not be into fad diets and then go right in and mention a fad diet?

In for tea though
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    If the mushrooms are sautéed and topping a nice NY strip steak, I'm in.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    If the mushrooms are sautéed and topping a nice NY strip steak, I'm in.

You. I like the way you think.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Wendys-Bacon-Portabella-Melt-Offers-Craveable-Tastes-that-Make-You-Melt.jpg
    Steak-Mushrooms-Onions_10_-crop.jpg
    stuffed-portabellos-kalyns-kitchen.jpg

yeah I could do a mushroom diet
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Why do these posters always claim to not be into fad diets and then go right in and mention a fad diet?

In for tea though

QFT
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Daaaammmnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in for all the above
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    I've replaced a meal before with air. It was alright. Made me a bit bloated though
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

You too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

In for tea though

It's kinda like "I know you can't spot reduce but how do I lose my belly fat?"
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    That's just plain dumb!!! It's fad and boring diet (oops, I said the D word!!! Omg!! I am going to die!!! Lol)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I bet this is the diet secret/trick that everyone has been waiting for.

We will all remember this day...the day that the solution for everyone was posted here. No more just eating and logging a reasonable variety of food at a slight deficit from TDEE. MFP will cease to exist since no one will need it now.

I've enjoyed my 2+ years here. I will miss my interactions with many of you. Congratulations in advance for everyone who will now inevitably reach their goals.

The end.