Getting use to the cold after losing weight

Options
So, does your body ever adjust to less fat in terms of being cold? I have lost just a little over 25lbs, nothing extreme, but I feel a LOT colder than I use to be. Granted, this year seems to be colder in terms of the numbers, but I feel cold All. The. Damn. Time! I turn on a space heater at night so I can feel toasty. Is it something my body will adjust too or do I just need to suck it up? It does make me less excited to get to the "idea" weight and lsoe more fat, though I still plan on working out and being healthy in that regards (I only have a few lbs left).

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Yes, same here. I feel cold after weight loss, too (insulation layer is lost). Look at the upside, though. When you are cold, your body is forced to generate more heat, and perhaps burn more calories? Just a thought.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    I know, I recently lost 100 pounds and I am freezing now! There aren't enough sweaters in my closet to keep me warm! My living room is full of blankets and a heater!!! Still, I'm not complaining, I'll take the cold over the extra weight!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I bought a nice fleece jacket.

:drinker:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    OMG i am having the same problem. and I was never once cold ever. ever. i am now freezing all the time. i have a heater for home (which is just crazy if you knew that I used to fight with my ex about her having a heater on every night) because i would be dying of heat. Now i have my very own. LOL. and at work im thinking of getting one as well. A co-worker of mine actually keeps tally of how many times a day I say Im freezing. One day she said ok you're up to 13. I cant imagine in another 50 pounds Im going to be like my mother (shes passed) but she would always be comlaining of how cold she was. I keep a hoodie on 24-7 literally. and I live in San Diego. It could be worse.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I bet it's beautious :o
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Freezin. And I don't like hiding my loss under layers. Lol. So vain...
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I'm freezing all the time! But as the doctor said, it's like losing a (your weight loss here) pound blanket. So I wear layers and have invested in a lot of base layer shirts. It's like long underwear but with more of a silky texture so the shirts and sweaters slide on easier and everything doesn't bunch up. Also helps to wear thicker socks. I work in a corporate officer so I can wear dress pants and sweaters. That helps as does the space heater they provided for under my desk. Don't know what I would do if I had to wear a dress! And this year I bought a down coat and some better insulated boots. All these things help.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I wear a sweater in my office. I definitely noticed the difference when I first lost the weight
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Space heaters, sweaters, and fuzzy slippers (but I've always been a cold person).
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    It is kind of ironic... lose weight to look better in clothes but then you need to wear more clothes. Well, at least until summer comes. I live in the Bay Area, so we are not talking about any sort of intense cold (though it did hit 23 today which is intense for this area). I'm glad I don't live in N. Michigan anymore.

At least I should be able to handle the summer better, even if I try to avoid to much sun pretty regularly (due to the pale redhead bit). I wear uniforms since I'm in the military so I'm a little limited on clothing choices. I did invest in the optional but warmer "winter dress," that we have. The pants are not that warm, but at least I can wear a thermal under the long sleeve shirt (which I am doing today). Might have to invest in some thermal pants. Next week, though, I'll be out of the freeze box that I teach in and things will be a little more pleasant.
    Freezin. And I don't like hiding my loss under layers. Lol. So vain...
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I get colder more easily, I still get sore where I have bones that used to be cushioned but now aren't, and I can't handle my drink anywhere near as well.

Would I trade it back for the extra kg? Hell no.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    sort of adjust, but after 80lbs you lose a lot of insulation.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Freezing all the time. Not allowed to have a heater at my desk at work... it's an old building with scary wiring, and when we tried to plug one in that I bought, we blew a circuit. The boss said no more!

Right now, I have on a tank top, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, and a sweater over my sweatshirt. I was wearing my down winter jacket after lunch to thaw out as well. I also have on two pairs of thick fleece socks, and a warm pair of Ugg boots on. I don't wear them because I like the look of them... I wear them so my feet don't turn blue from the cold. I have poor circulation in my feet (runs in the family. Three my great grandparents lost lower extremities in old age) and need the added insulation. I can NEVER get warm. I go into my car during my 30 minute lunch break and blast the heat on my hands and feet so that I can make it through the rest of the day without my cold hands cramping up.

I used to drink coffee and hot chocolate at work to keep me warm, but trying to avoid sugary drinks and caffeine now... so I'm sticking to warm water with lemon. Still isn't helping! I hope this gets better at some point.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Always cold here too.
    Down nearly 80 pounds from my highest.
    Trying to do lite hot chocolate and diet hot cider drink when I am cold at work.
    But my feet never seem to get warm. Except at the gym.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

I bet it's beautious :o

It's blue and red.

:happy:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with a co-worker like 5 minutes ago. Oklahoma is very cold for this time of year right now, and this is my first winter being "healthy". It's been ridiculous. I am currently sitting at my desk, wrapped in a blanket with gloves on....
  • Reevsie123
    Reevsie123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Same here, me and the wife always used to battle with the thermostat now we both like it warm, the drinking has amazed me 6 months of no alcohol and a new weight of 144 has left me unable to drink more than 3 pints without getting drunk as the proverbial parrott - what's all that about, the only good news is I can have a good night out on £10 I also have a new drinking game called drink 1 pint, wee 2 pints, keeps me entertained all night !
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I sit in the office at work with a hot water bottle lol I was so looking forward to the summer, but even then i was chilly lol.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have always gotten cold, even when I was 70 pounds heavier. I still get cold. Extra clothes usually does the trick, and my space heater at work.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Not really, I'm always cold....fat or thin.