88 pounds later...New Knees At Last

Options
One week from today, I will be at the Fresno Kaiser Hospital, being prepped for my double knee replacement surgery. It almost seems like a miracle after so long. It was November 2012, when my surgeon in San Diego said, "You are a great candidate for knee surgery. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is lose another 70 pounds."

At that time, I thought that 70 pounds was a nearly impossible goal for a lady who had weighed in the high 200's for most of her life. Now, a year has passed; and I am beyond my surgeon's original goal. My new surgeon in Fresno broke his finger, while playing golf last week; but another surgeon is going to take his place on Monday. Happily, this new surgeon comes highly recommended by a couple of ladies that I met in my Total Joint Replacement Class last week.

I am both eager and apprehensive about this double knee surgery. I want so much to be freed from my wheelchair and walker confinement...to be free to go where I want without limits...to be able to drive a car again...ride a bike or walk with my hubbie. It has been a couple of year, since I became dependent on my wheelchair.

As much as I am looking forward to new knees, I know that this surgery will require a painful recovery and lots of physical therapy; but I am not a sissy, when it comes to pain. So, I just want to get on with it. The sooner...the better is my thinking.

The commitment to my food plan each day and the support of my MFP friends has brought me to this important point time. I am about to begin a new life in 2014. That new life is due in part to the help and encouragement of all of you on MFP that are my sisters and brothers in the journey to a healthier way of living. I so grateful and feel blessed that I found MFP and all of you. :heart:

Replies

• MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You've come a long way Sister, and you deserve the freedom so much. Congrats on every single pound lost and prayers for a speedy recovery. I hope SpecialEd will be able to keep up with the new and improved Mama
  • popflying
    Options
    CONGRATS! Seriously! You had the strength to change your habits, face your weight head on, and lose so much weight for your surgery. And by the looks of it you still want to work towards an even healthier weight. I absolutely wish you the best with your surgery and recovery, but I think with your immense willpower you will definitely make it through!

Thanks for the great story :) cheering for you!
  • kristyrae24
    kristyrae24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Truely amazing and so well deserved! Amazing job and I wish you the best of luck with surgery and recovery!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Way to go. Best of luck to you and enjoy those walks to come. The pain will be so worth it.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You have been an inspiration to me. There are so many reasons why people "can't" change their lifestyle, lose weight and become healthy. Well you, girlfriend, have taken all of those reasons and excuses and shoved them right back into their face! You are amazing. Thank you for all of the inspiration.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    All things are possible.....
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ah, what wonderful news! Congratulations. All the best to you!
  • irrsha
    Options
    no doubt, you are a brave, great woman. I'm also waiting for that day.may GOD give you your health and smile back. as soon as possible,upload your victory....we all are waiting and wishing a healthy long life for you.
    best of luck.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    cheers to new knees :)
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Time is drawing closer and I'm so happy for you. You have worked so hard to accomplish this and the end is near. Yes it will be painful following surgery and the rehab is also. The is worth it:love:
  • NoTry_JustDo
    Options
    It is an honor to know you, my friend, and you will be in my mind and heart and prayers. You are one strong lady, no doubt about it, and I predict that you will be the pride and joy of your physical therapists, who will point all their other patients toward you and say, "See that lady over there? You won't believe how fast she has progressed with a combination of rest and disciplined exercise."

I hope that at the end of next year I can look back with the same good feelings and justifiable pride with which you look back on this year.

Here's wishing you a joyous 2014. I can't wait to see pictures of you riding on Ed's contraption!

Emma
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    you are amazing and clearly demonstrate that excuses are useless. Just look at what you have accomplished!!!!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!:flowerforyou:
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have loved hearing about your journey and feel privileged to be able to read your updates. Thinking happy new knee thoughts, and looking forward to hearing about your surgery!
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    Congrats on such an incredible accomplishment! Best wishes to you as you go through surgery and recovery!
  • lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All the best for your op - will be thinking of you :heart:
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Great news. What an inspiring story. Will be thinking about you on Monday.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am so looking forward to reading your posts next year at this time. How much more you will be able to lose when you can ride a bike and walk with your hubbie once again...free of your chair and your walker! You are an amazing woman, my sister.
    :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • lcransaw
    Options
    Congratulations! I pray that your surgery goes well! You have made awesome progress, and I am sure with your increased mobility, you will continue to lose! All the Best!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!