88 pounds later...New Knees At Last

Options

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    having been there, i know how excited you must be. and a new life is soon to follow, one full of an active lifestyle that you deserve.

my unsolicited advice is that your mind is about to go through just as much, if not more, than your body. and while everyone has a post operation physical therapy plan, many do not realize they need a plan for their mind too. there will be longer days and longer nights than you thought. the physical therapy will have moments where it is worse than you thought it would be. and your recovery will take longer than you expect. there will be times where you take one step forward and two backward (figuratively and literally, actually) but it will all be worth it.

i feel like myself, finally, after having my knees done. and i wouldn't change anything in the world for that. the stuff i am able to do now was worth all the aggravation, all the pain, all the disappointment, the annoyances (not being able to drive was killer), the frustration. all that is an after thought, a memory that fades a little each day as i make new memories i wouldn't have been able to if my knees were never fixed. while it might be hard to comprehend now, you will.

best of luck to you. i'll be thinking of you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Yay! :flowerforyou:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. And best wishes with revalidation. I got really ill in 2011 and spent 3 months in revalidation re-learning how to walk after being bed bound for several months. I made miraculous progress according to the physios because I tried to exercise all the time, even when barely mobile. Attempts to sit up, attempts to bend knees, attempted leg lifts, etc.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep us posted!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Have been following you on here and so pleased that you are now having the surgery.

Wishing you all the best for the operation and hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful to hear! I am genuinely happy for you. Congratulations. Wishing you well on the surgery and recovery :)
  • losingwhatican
    losingwhatican Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, wow! I spent just a couple of months in a wheelchair last year, and walking again is no small feat. You are working so hard and undergoing so many changes all at once. I hope you find an amazing physical therapist who appreciates everything you've done so far and gets you on the path back to freedom!
  • Niccidawn092
    Niccidawn092 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you! Congratulations for all that you have done and all you will gain from it!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Congrats, seriously, congrats! And good luck on with the surgery next week!
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have followed your posts over the last few months and I have loved hearing about your journey and feel privileged to be able to read your updates. I'm so glad that your surgery is now scheduled and I shall be thinking happy new knee thoughts whilst looking forward to reading your surgery and recovery updates. You will have you're work cut out for you as you start 2014 - but then You Are The Woman Who Exceeded her Doctors expectations - so you will rise to the challenge - of that I have no doubts.

You've been inspirational - your writing is so full of humour and insight - you're a pleasure to read.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    congratulations, well done! wishing you a speedy recovery. looking forward to reading your after recovery posts. :smile:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Prayers sent for you and your surgeon!
  • wisebuys
    wisebuys Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    All the BEST to you!!. With your attitude and dedication, I trust you will be on your feet in no time. Your pain will be a thing of the past and you will truly feel reborn.
    I do speak from experience since I have had both hips replaced and truly feel amazing.
    Be sure to do your exercises faithfully. Slow and steady wins the race, don't overdo it.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You are a great example to so many - of how bad things can be, and how they CAN be turned around. It is the worst feeling to feel there is no hope, no point in even trying to change. But you have accomplished a huge thing, don't forget that - especially as you enter a new chapter in your life that might leave you feeling like you've lost your footing for a while (literally and figuratively)! I know you recognize how God has led you to this point in time, and He will continue to guide you to better health with whatever you can possibly do to get there. And your sisters will be praying for you and cheering you on, too!
  • heather4949
    heather4949 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You deserve all the freedom and happiness that your new knees will bring you.......you inspire sooo many of us.....
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You know you can count on my prayers!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased for you that your dreams of easier mobility and all the positives that come with new knees are about to come true. I've enjoyed reading your posts as they always inspire me and make me smile. And I look forward to reading the new chapters I know will be written by you as you recover from surgery and can tackle all those new adventures. I hope SpecialEd can keep up with you! I'll be thinking of you and sending a prayer your way next week.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased for you that your dreams of easier mobility and all the positives that come with new knees are about to come true. I've enjoyed reading your posts as they always inspire me and make me smile. And I look forward to reading the new chapters I know will be written by you as you recover from surgery and can tackle all those new adventures. I hope SpecialEd can keep up with you! I'll be thinking of you and sending a prayer your way next week.

Beautifully said....this! So excited for you:flowerforyou:
  • SusanFinck
    SusanFinck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Sue. Have been blessed to join you and this journey to better health. Your story has been nothing less than inspirational!
    Best wishes and many many heartfelt prayers go out to you for a successful surgery and post op recovery. You are such a trooper!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!