Options
    I have my diary set up in hourly increments:
    8am-12pm
    12pm-4pm
    4pm-8pm
    8pm-12am
    12am-4am
    4am-8am
    I log my food into whichever time slot it falls into so I stick to the same limit of calories, macros etc within a 24 hour period. It makes no difference whether it's night or day. Anything else is an excuse.

Also, you can try eating more filling satiating meals. Fiber (veggies!) and protein really go a long way to prevent cravings. And give yourself some slack. No-one is perfect 100% of the time. It's okay to eat "bad" or "unhealthy" foods every now and then. For me it's too much pressure when I try to give up the foods I love and I end up binging and swan diving off the wagon. Eat the foods you like in moderation.
    Fantastic post!
    Using your food log format as soon as I get off night rotation. I really like that idea for shift workers.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you're working shifts, prep your meals in advance, put them in tupperware and a food bag (preferably ones that have ice packs) and eat when you're hungry.

This method is also good for pre-logging your meals in the diary since you know exactly what you're eating and how much for the next few meals.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I worked full time midnights for 10 years. I worked alone, answering the main number for a hospital. My reasons for eating were BOREDOM. I didn't get breaks during my shift. I started exercising, bringing my hobbies from home in, something that would keep my hands or mind active and moving.
  • xoxsahara
    xoxsahara Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I'm at work I make SURE to have enough healthy snacks and basically get happy by eating every hour. Like, I'll time myself for when I'm hungry but I bring a peach, some blueberries, a Greek yogurt, banana, peanut butter, etc so I make sure it's all there so I'm getting enough to eat but it's the GOOD food therefore I'm not tempted to look elsewhere to eat
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've worked nights for 14 years, 12 hours shifts (7p-7a). What I usually do is eat normally the day before I go in but save my dinner meal for 9pm-ish and then I have a greek yogurt with berries and nut about 1 am -ish and then I take 2 eggs and oatmeal and have them about 5:30-6 am. Then I go to back as soon as I get home about 8 am and then eat lunch when I wake up around noonish.