are there certain drinks/food to avoid to get a flat belly?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Only if your allergic to something which in case you shouldn't be chewing on it.

No.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    It's pretty well documented that gluten causes bloat, even in people without a tested intolerance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    It's pretty well documented that gluten causes bloat, even in people without a tested intolerance.

No, it's not.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member

lol

no. I eat lots of gluten and have a flat stomach.

I will wait for your documented scientific studies. Please provide.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

oh? Links to documentation please.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Avoid wheat/gluten.

No to OP's question and No to the above

(Unless you've gone to a doctor and have been found to be legitimately gluten intolerant..then of course common sense would be to stay away from gluten.)

Can't agree with you here, one size does not fit all, OP could experiment by eliminating gluten/wheat which bloats some people. You don't have to go a doctor to undertake food trials on yourself. But if you do them, 100% eliminate for 90 days before reintroducing to note any changes/reaction. If no changes/reactions gluten/wheat may not be problem for you. You can't hurt yourself by undertaking this kind of food trial on gluten/wheat.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Documented where?
    Can you provide citations please? No blogs...
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

Please cite credible sources to back this up. If it's well documented, you'll have no issue finding it.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Read this, for pity's sake: http://glutenintoleranceschool.com/gluten-intolerance-bloating/

This is not a blog.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Any "diet" drink is not good for health.

For me, I avoid sugar and starch...that always helps me with my belly problems.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Read this, for pity's sake: http://glutenintoleranceschool.com/gluten-intolerance-bloating/

This is not a blog.

Ummm....are you serious? This isn't "documented" proof (aka studies).
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 62 Member
    I can't speak with any credibility regarding weight loss but I can about having a flat stomach! Personally, I find minimizing sugar and food high in sodium makes a noticeable difference as I tend to feel better and look less bloaty.

Just my personal, non-scientific experience, you "no" folks :flowerforyou:

I second that!
  • Otterluv

This is not a blog.

THIS is a credible source? I think people were thinking more along the lines of scientific journals, large studies, etc. Alarmist websites do not fit the bill, sorry.

Of course people with gluten allergies/sensitivities/celiac will have issues. But to make broad blanket statements that it causes bloat, as if it does in everyone, is what is being contested.
  • FredDoyle
    Read this, for pity's sake:

This is not a blog.
    With thinking like this, everyone should avoid peanuts because a minority of people have allergies.
    The site's own list cites many reasons for bloating.
  • summertime_girl
    Shrug, ask a doctor, nutritionist, anyone who has ever done a gluten elimination diet. I don't eat gluten free. I love bread, beer, condiments, etc. But I did a gluten free diet for three months, and was amazed at how much better I felt physically. I don't have celiac, or an intolerance. I don't claim to be a doctor or researcher, but I've read up on it, and my primary care doctor is a naturopath who advocates it for many reasons. I find it nearly impossible to stick to though.

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies: http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/03/17/gluten-what-you-dont-know-might-kill-you/
  • Otterluv
    Shrug, ask a doctor, nutritionist, anyone who has ever done a gluten elimination diet. I don't eat gluten free. I love bread, beer, condiments, etc. But I did a gluten free diet for three months, and was amazed at how much better I felt physically. I don't have celiac, or an intolerance. I don't claim to be a doctor or researcher, but I've read up on it, and my primary care doctor is a naturopath who advocates it for many reasons. I find it nearly impossible to stick to though.

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies: http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/03/17/gluten-what-you-dont-know-might-kill-you/

Did you look at the studies? He mentions a couple of real facts from them (that there needs to be increased screening for celiac) and the rest of his "facts" he pulls out of .....well, somewhere unpleasant. For instance, that an estimated 99% of people have undiagnosed wheat issues, which is a load of bull.

Again credible sources.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member

This is not a blog.

I'm sorry but if you think this qualifies as a reliable source, you need some education in the difference between web sites created for the purposes of marketing products, and real, reliable, unbiased sources. I'm not saying that to be snarky, I'm 100% serious. That web site serves to provide information that will lead people to click on "shop" and buy stuff.

ETA: this actually makes me kinda sad. Too many naive people get manipulated this way.
  • FredDoyle

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies:
    So, you're not a doctor or a researcher. You're just parroting what a naturopath has told you. Good to know.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    No.
  • summertime_girl

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies:
    So, you're not a doctor or a researcher. You're just parroting what a naturopath has told you. Good to know.

And personal experience, as well a reading up on it, like I said.