Coconut Oil vs. Olive Oil

Options

Replies

• latewinter
    Options
    Coconut oil. Makes my porridge taste gorgeous and is so beneficial and multi purpose plus it just tastes nicer
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I recommend avoiding canola/veggie oils at all costs!
    Have you ever researched what is in Canola oil?
    Its actually rapeseed oil that goes through intense processing to make it edible!

Read this:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/the-great-con-ola

Canola is a lie pushed by companies back when an incomplete study said that sat fat made you fat. Sat fat is actually good for you. It does not cause cholesterol issues like people think.

Processed flours and such are what cause heart issues... look at this:

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml

In addition to what is written above, the increasing abundance of omega 6 as a result of seed oils is also contributing to the problems. Better fats have higher levels of omega 3, while unhealthier ones (like a lot of the seed oils that started to appear in great quantities in the grocery stores in the last 2 decades) contain low or no omega 3 and very high omega 6.

:smile: True. Excellent addition.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I need to clarify something, as I keep seeing people say coconut oil is good for frying. NO. Unrefined virgin coconut oil oxidizes and goes rancid (the smoke point) at a mere 350 degrees F. Extra virgin olive oil is good to 410. The only coconut oil that works for trying is the highly refined version, which is trans-fat heavy and not healthy in the least.

Coconut oil is a low temperature oil, meant for low heat or no heat. The best oil for dying is actually peanut oil, as it can take high heat and is still healthy. Olive oil is decent for frying, but it's flavor can overpower more delicate foods.
    Agree with this except I'm iffy on the trans fats part of refined coconut oil. Not sure how a saturated fat can be partially hydrogenated....do you have any literature.

Hydrogenation can be used to saturate or desaturate. In the case of coconut oil they partially hydrogenate the saturated fats to decrease the saturation, raising the smoke point. It's actually a part of the refining process.

Personally I avoid coconut oil because of the environmental devastation involved. It takes 1400kg worth of coconuts just to make 70 liters of oil. It's ruining native environments by wholesale destruction.
  • KelsThompski
    Options
    I just straight up drink my oil to get my fats! 1 tsp a day
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I need to clarify something, as I keep seeing people say coconut oil is good for frying. NO. Unrefined virgin coconut oil oxidizes and goes rancid (the smoke point) at a mere 350 degrees F. Extra virgin olive oil is good to 410. The only coconut oil that works for trying is the highly refined version, which is trans-fat heavy and not healthy in the least.

Coconut oil is a low temperature oil, meant for low heat or no heat. The best oil for dying is actually peanut oil, as it can take high heat and is still healthy. Olive oil is decent for frying, but it's flavor can overpower more delicate foods.
    Agree with this except I'm iffy on the trans fats part of refined coconut oil. Not sure how a saturated fat can be partially hydrogenated....do you have any literature.

Hydrogenation can be used to saturate or desaturate. In the case of coconut oil they partially hydrogenate the saturated fats to decrease the saturation, raising the smoke point. It's actually a part of the refining process.

Personally I avoid coconut oil because of the environmental devastation involved. It takes 1400kg worth of coconuts just to make 70 liters of oil. It's ruining native environments by wholesale destruction.
    Yeah, not keen on the environmental impacts of the palm oil business at all. I'm just trying to understand the trans fats process further, so bear with me.

A saturated fatty acid is one in which every carbon atom is bound to two hydrogen atoms. An unsaturated fatty acid is one in which one or more pairs of the carbon atoms along the chain have only one hydrogen atom each, and the two carbon atoms of the pair are connected by a double bond and not a single one. Unsaturated fatty acids either have a cis isomer which is normal or a trans isomer which, other than the natural ones are produced through hydrogenation. The hydrogen atoms attach to the vacant double bond sites where only 1 hydrogen atom is attached to the carbon chain, filling that space creating more saturation. Basically I'm not sure how the opposite or desaturation happens.

Anyway I took a look at hydrogenated coconut oil in a data base and there's about 1g of trans fats in 1 cup of refined coconut oil. On the other hand I also looked at refined and not hydrogenated canola oil and found it has 4g's per cup. I believe it's the omega 3's predominantly that are susceptible to trans configuring and why poly fats are normally used for hydrogenation because of the multiple sites available for the hydrogenation process. I find it confusing, to say the least.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

20 kg of coconuts to make 1 litre oil is wholesale destruction? How about if we replace some of the crops that contribute to the obesity and diabetes epidemic, like sugar cane, with coconuts instead?
  • tigersword
    Options

Yeah, not keen on the environmental impacts of the palm oil business at all. I'm just trying to understand the trans fats process further, so bear with me.

A saturated fatty acid is one in which every carbon atom is bound to two hydrogen atoms. An unsaturated fatty acid is one in which one or more pairs of the carbon atoms along the chain have only one hydrogen atom each, and the two carbon atoms of the pair are connected by a double bond and not a single one. Unsaturated fatty acids either have a cis isomer which is normal or a trans isomer which, other than the natural ones are produced through hydrogenation. The hydrogen atoms attach to the vacant double bond sites where only 1 hydrogen atom is attached to the carbon chain, filling that space creating more saturation. Basically I'm not sure how the opposite or desaturation happens.

Anyway I took a look at hydrogenated coconut oil in a data base and there's about 1g of trans fats in 1 cup of refined coconut oil. On the other hand I also looked at refined and not hydrogenated canola oil and found it has 4g's per cup. I believe it's the omega 3's predominantly that are susceptible to trans configuring and why poly fats are normally used for hydrogenation because of the multiple sites available for the hydrogenation process. I find it confusing, to say the least.

On the other hand, it's wholly possible that during the desaturation process, hydrogen atoms may attach to the unsaturated fats in the oil, thus causing the trans fats as well. It's not a process I fully understand, it's just a process I'm aware of.
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Peanut for stir frying, olive for some salady things, coconut for baked things.

I'm not too fond of olive oil overall. It's OK.

I really like the flavor of peanut for stir fry, or at a lower sautee coconut. And most baked goods I've tried it in, coconut oil is a plus.

I've been making flaxseed muffins in the micro - coconut oil is my goto for that, because the flavor is so much nicer.
  • tigersword
    Options

20 kg of coconuts to make 1 litre oil is wholesale destruction? How about if we replace some of the crops that contribute to the obesity and diabetes epidemic, like sugar cane, with coconuts instead?
    First you have to explain how sugar cane contributes to the "obesity and diabetes epidemic," because it doesn't. And yes, it's wholesale destruction. Entire ecosystems are being leveled and decimated so giant corporations can plant coconut trees to cash in on the insane "healthy coconut everything" trend. Because cocnut palms can only grow in specific conditions without large expense, companies find it easier to just level an area they can grow, then try and farm them elsewhere.

Which of course, also means that you couldn't get rid of sugar cane and replace them with coconuts, different growing environments.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    im a coco ho

If one could be a coco-ho.. I'm in that category. coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut anything and everything (preferably organic). I use coconut oil in and on most things, not just for consumption but skin care too... everything. love it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

From my experience, it seems that palm oil makes yummier cookies. :ohwell:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    they are both equally good on my hair as an overnight treatment. it's a tie.

for bread dunking I prefer olive oil and for roasting veggies and etc.

for baking i prefer coconut and also for coffee, sometimes when I think i need more fat but don't know where to fit it, i put coconut oil in my coffee and i like the taste.
  • californiabella
    Options
    olive oil. don't like the coconut taste in anything else other than desserts.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    To the people who claim that Canola Oil is Rapeseed Oil, please note that traditional Rapeseed Oil and Canola Oil are genetically different things. While Canola oil is sometimes called Rapeseed Oil, it bears very little in common with what was once Rapeseed Oil and is missing much of the Acid that used to cause it to go rancid quickly. They do share the same plant family but Canola is a rather different beast. This is not to claim it should be drunk from the jug but that much of the internet hype around Canola Oil is really specifically about Rapeseed Oil not Canola. Rapeseed Oil is still out there, and does have a lot of horrible attributes, it is primarily found in Asian cooking. Understand, however, that a very high percentage of Canola Oil is from genetically modified plants an therefore it isn't a choice clean eaters are going to make.

Olive and Coconut are still better choices for many things, but Canola is still a fairly safe oil to use and is no where near as bad as it gets a reputation for on many health forums. I personally don't remember the last time I used Canola oil, I mostly use Grapeseed and Olive Oil. But many would claim Grapeseed Oil has the same issues as Canola so guess I am doomed ;).
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Both...I cook with coconut oil, but I don't like it in salad dressings...I will use olive oil in dressings and homemeade mayo as coco tends to "harden" in a very icky way on lettuce! LOL...
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This is a forum to help people and inspire people, not argue and debate. Sorry I started a debate and argument, wasn't my intention, just put my opinion in. You seem set in your ways and I guess I am too, so if CO works for you GREAT! That's awesome. It is the healthiest version of saturated fat. People just need to research for themselves and decide for themselves what they want going into their bodies. I prefer olive oil, but that's just me. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and keeps pushing toward their goal :)

No one is trying to debate your OPINION.....but you did state it as if it were a fact and that is misleading.....that is the point that is trying to be made to you. No one is trying to change your mind.

Don't forget to add (IMO) if it is only opinion. (I've learned the hard way lol)
  • purplepink1992
    Options
    Coconut oil. The smell is better, taste is better, and you can honestly find a use for it for just about anything
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

The coconut oil that I use for frying is refined....but the label says non-hydrogenated. I rarely fry food at high temps or deep fry so the refined is only for occasional use. Peanut for deep fry. and Raw Virgin Oil for everything else.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Im going to throw in a wild card.

Grapeseed Oil

I use it for cooking all the time. Has a high smoke temp and doesn't taste overpowering like Olive oil.
  • Bunny1177
    Bunny1177 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Both are fine. I use olive oil more, though, something with the flavor that is more appealing to me. *shrug*