Which grip do you use for dead lifts?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    overhand for warm up and romanian, mixed for the heavy ones.

this

I reverse my switch grip on my "cool down lifts" just so I try to keep my traps from getting TOO terribly unbalanced.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Trainer recommended mixed grip, which I started out with, but I prefer overhand (possibly because I use straps?).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Mixed Grip on heavy deads, but I also rotate with hand is over and which is under.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I actually never considered switching the mixed grip. I'll def do that from now on.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Double overhand for now, but I think to increase my 1RM (currently 205), I'm going to have to switch to mixed grip.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use all 3 grips.

Both over-hand.

Hook-grip (this is where both grips are over-hand but you lock your thumb to the bar with your fingers).

and mixed, over-hand and under-hand (be sure to alternate hands every other set)

The most common is a mixed grip, this is because it helps to lock the bar on your pulls. However, some people avoid this because of possibly tearing a bicep...although that probably means that they did the pull wrong and/or they are pulling a weight that is too much for their body.

I personally do not believe in using wraps because if you need wraps you're creating an imbalance in your strength...you should focus on strengthening your grip more.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I train with the knuckles of both hands facing forward until my grip fails, then I switch to mixed grip.
    This

This x 2
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Overhand, thumbs on same side. Good training for climbing. ;)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I switch between both palms in (double pronated) and both palms out (double supinated). I figure double-supinated is how we often lift heavy things outside the gym, so might as well prepare for it. The downside is there's an increased risk of tearing your bicep, particularly when lifting enormous loads to failure. That can happen with a mixed grip too, on the supinated arm.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love the mixed grip, I think it looks awesome and I like how it's a clever solution to the bar slipping out.

Problem is it puts significant strain on the bicep of the supponated arm, and that can lead to injury. Since I'm not competing, I just use a double pronated grip until my hands fail, then use straps.

For all the other stress I have to put on my biceps, there's not need to screw around with a mix grip on heavy deads.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    For a workout, double overhand until grip strength fails, then straps.

I save alternate grip for PRs as it can strain the bicep in the arm with the flipped hand, or build imbalances if over-used. I've tried hook grip as well, and pulled some fairly heavy weights with it, but it is somewhat painful at heavier weights.

This exactly. If you're not training to powerlift competitively though, and have no actual practical need for your grip to be especially strong, you could switch to straps instead of mixed grip.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yeah I love the mixed grip, I think it looks awesome and I like how it's a clever solution to the bar slipping out.

Problem is it puts significant strain on the bicep of the supponated arm, and that can lead to injury. Since I'm not competing, I just use a double pronated grip until my hands fail, then use straps.

For all the other stress I have to put on my biceps, there's not need to screw around with a mix grip on heavy deads.

It's mostly a bicep issue if you are trying to pull at ALL with the upper- if you have a slightly curl- you're straining it- or snapping it. (which is a really crazy thing to see apparently) but it's one of the reasons why you shouldn't be doing it unless you know what you are doing.

I've never even felt bicep pressure and I have had some sketchy shakey PR's.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

It's mostly a bicep issue if you are trying to pull at ALL with the upper- if you have a slightly curl- you're straining it- or snapping it. (which is a really crazy thing to see apparently) but it's one of the reasons why you shouldn't be doing it unless you know what you are doing.

The pressure is on the distal biceps tendon, not on the muscle really. I'm surprised you've never felt it at all, holding the mix grip in different ways hasn't gotten rid of it completely for me, though to be clear it isn't a very noticible sensation anyways.

By the way, YouTube it, it's absolutely terrifying.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    double over hand for lighter weights like warm-ups or if I'm doing Romanian Deads...mixed grip for heavier weight.

This is what I do too
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The pressure is on the distal biceps tendon, not on the muscle really. I'm surprised you've never felt it at all, holding the mix grip in different ways hasn't gotten rid of it completely for me, though to be clear it isn't a very noticible sensation anyways.

I'm familiar with it- but down at the bottom- right at the elbow- I feel it when I'm doing flat heavy DB fly's.

yeah- youtube- you can literally get lost there LOL

I do try to flip flop- I am WAY more comfortable with my right hand under/left over then left under- my broken left wrist makes that an uncomfortable turn out- but I try REALLY hard to remember to swap them around- purely for balance.

But yeah- nope- never really had issue- I'm a very leg driven person though- so no upper 'cheat' helps at all.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hook grip on stuff up to 190#, then alternate my mixed grip for heavier weights. On max rep sets, I use straps since grip shouldn't be the limiter on those sets. I always do left palm out, right palm in though when I compete or try for a PR single.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Just want to say I've never felt a thing in my bicep either, and it's never sore, tight, or anything afterward, and doesn't really tense even during the lift.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
  • JoRocka
    Options

yeah no- thankfully I can't watch youtube at work LMAO

I know it looks a lot like a cable snapping and then curling back up the arm- that enough alone is enough to keep me from watching that LMAO.

nope nope nope (where is the little octopus GIF when you need it!)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Supinated grip.