Which grip do you use for dead lifts?

Options

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I use an overhand grip on warm up DL sets and then on working sets (which are usually 315+) I use a mixed grip.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hook grip till my thumbs are numb, then mixed, then alternate mixed

but most importantly CHALK!! If i forget my chalk i sit in my car and cry
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use mixed grip. I make sure my thumbs overlap my fingers or they will start slipping due to not amazing hand strength or sweat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hook grip till my thumbs are numb, then mixed, then alternate mixed

but most importantly CHALK!! If i forget my chalk i sit in my car and cry

my new gym I'm going to be starting at in January keeps little basins of chalk by the squat racks and plateforms.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I can't wait to move!!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I saw someone's leg do it once - that sounded like a metal cable snapping and could be heard across the other side of the pitch :)
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I use the one where you grab the bar with your hands!! HAHA, sorry was just too easy not too! :laugh:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

yeah no- thankfully I can't watch youtube at work LMAO

I know it looks a lot like a cable snapping and then curling back up the arm- that enough alone is enough to keep me from watching that LMAO.

nope nope nope (where is the little octopus GIF when you need it!)
    You're welcome.
    tumblr_mdinf8SpzB1qksov3.gif
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I've used mixed grip for years and never failed a lift due to grip. I've been considering hook grip for a while though so I don't get muscle imbalances from mixed grip.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Mixed, alternating which hand is facing inward.
    Gonna have to try this; been having grip issues on final set of SL-DLs. Thanks.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    It works for me. Makes it easier
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Mixed grip, switch the over/under after each set.

Though recently I've been using a trap bar for all of my dead lifts because my gym has one, so with those I just hold it overhand. It's pretty nice, no banged up knees and I feel like I'm really in control. Highly recommended.
  • I train with the knuckles of both hands facing forward until my grip fails, then I switch to mixed grip.

This...and when I deload I try with it facing forward to try and increase my grip strength....

eg. when I first started lifting, I found I was switching to mixed grip at 90 pounds

I'm now switching to mixed grip at 165.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My grip strength sucks *kitten* so I'm almost always using mixed!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I switch grip. I used to be able with regular grip but no way in hell I can do that anymore lol
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Further to my reply in this thread, I did a PB today - 150kg (I weigh 70kg). Not only did I do "palms facing me" but I only hooked my fingers and not my entire hand round the bar. :noway:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I used to do plain-jane double overhand for the lighter stuff, and mixed for the heavier.

Then I became very frightened that someday I would snap my distal bicep tendon if I continued using mixed grip. I am not sure how rational my fear was, but it's just not a fun thought.

So, I recently have been using hook grip, and it's been working out well, without all that much pain for my thumbs. It's a very solid grip. Last time I DLed, I was doing 310 and was able to hold it fine with hook.

There is probably still a risk of the dreaded snap, but I have some peace of mind knowing that my chances with hook are way less than with mixed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Further to my reply in this thread, I did a PB today - 150kg (I weigh 70kg). Not only did I do "palms facing me" but I only hooked my fingers and not my entire hand round the bar. :noway:

LOL mine do that- but it's usually when I get tired- and start in on the super heavy stuff- I get some quality GRIP OF DEATH- with my fingers going- my friend laughs at how much I can lift with my fingers only- it kind of sucks.
  • CrossFitSandra
    Options
    Mixed for me, too. I've never considered alternating between sets, but I'm going to try that out.

Hook grip for everything else. My trainer started me out with hook grip, so it doesn't feel awkward at all to me.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I train with the knuckles of both hands facing forward until my grip fails, then I switch to mixed grip.
    ^This

+1