Can you really eat "clean" your whole life?

Options
I'm curious,

I originally lost weight, went from 150 to 110 pounds a couple of years ago. I ate CLEAN, I mostly just ate salads, fruit salads, and chicken.

Then, I gained the weight back, not only was I not eating enough calories when I lost the weight, I was depriving myself of everything I loved. Pasta, burgers, Pizza etc.

Now, I'm losing weight again, I'm at 130 from 137 and I haven't been eating clean at all.

If I crave a burger, I will have one. I have cheat days on Saturdays.

I see some people say they eat egg whites, chicken for lunch (plain chicken), chicken for dinner EVERYDAY. How is that sustainable? If you can do it, good for you, but I would lose my mind.

I want to lose weight the right way this time, but can I actually achieve the body I want eating everything I want in moderation, or do I have to eat "clean"?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    <----Exhibit one. No, you don't have to eat clean.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    um, no.
    drink whiskey
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No, you do not need to eat whatever your definition of 'clean' is.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

<
    And Exhibit two, for no you don't have to eat clean :smile:
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Well, what's your definition of clean?
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    Of course it is ideal to never consume additives, colorings, high amounts of calories, "imitation food" (oreos, kraft singles, boxed meals, etc) but honestly I don't know anyone that can just not eat these things, at all, ever. I don't see a problem with cheat days where of course its monitored so you didn't get your days calories from doritos alone, however I think that we should be trying to move away from these habits. So honestly I would start with cheat days on Saturdays and then go to every other Saturday being your cheat days where you can eat something junky. It's okay to eat more calories than planned occasionally but making sure they are coming from at least half decent sources is pretty important. If you are craving something sweet on your "inbetween" Saturday, treat yourself to a pile of fruit.

That's just what I think though. Nobody is perfect, myself included.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options

<

So what did you mostly eat when trying to lose weight?

Sometimes I just don't have time to cook and I will eat a Smart One, people say they aren't that healthy but I don't go over in my Macros or Calories, so I don't see them as that bad, but I could be wrong.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Eating 'clean' would not be a sustainable way of life for me. I eat healthy most of the time, but if I want a cookie or three I'm not depriving myself!! I believe in moderation, that's what works for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I see some people say they eat egg whites, chicken for lunch (plain chicken), chicken for dinner EVERYDAY. How is that sustainable? If you can do it, good for you, but I would lose my mind.

i think this is why a lot of people fail.

a friend of mine recently brought this up to me because we were talking about weight loss. last year i lost around 30 pounds and am now looking to lose the next 40 pounds. anyway my friend was congratulating me and saying that she can't stick with it because she starts off eating "healthy" and then can only keep it up for so long.

i think most people have a misconception that all it takes is eating "healthy" (which is ridiculous because i gained 8- pounds eating well balanced "healthy" meals that were filled with all the "right" things) to lose weight and they dont have to pay attention to their calorie intake.

in any case i suggested my firnd come back to MFP and just fit the food she regular eats into her calorie goals
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" is one of those terms that means different things to different people. If you mean not eating processed foods then sure you can. If you mean eating non processed organic foods that you only grow yourself then you probably can but most people wouldn't.

I don't regard store bought foods as clean regardless of what they're labeled. Almost all of the meat has had hormones used in production and just because something has an organic label on it really means nothing. There are virtually no checks in place to assure that food has been produced organically.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

<

So what did you mostly eat when trying to lose weight?

Sometimes I just don't have time to cook and I will eat a Smart One, people say they aren't that healthy but I don't go over in my Macros or Calories, so I don't see them as that bad, but I could be wrong.

My diary is public if you're interested. I eat everything from fast food to homemade salads. I think the key is to eat in a way that you find sustainable. Obviously, clean eating was not sustainable for you once you lost the weight the first time. For me, it has to be easy. I can't be vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, or a clean eater just because I don't want to limit the amount of restaurants I can eat at, I don't want to turn down mom's cherry cheesecake, and I like having a celebratory ice cream when something awesome happens in life.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Even if I could do it, I wouldn't want to. Fortunately I don't have to choose between being healthy and enjoying food.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy most of the time, but I could not eat clean forever. I always stay under calorirs but if I want a burger I have one no mayo though just ketchup and mustard. I have changed they way I eat but I do not eat clean
  • QuietBloom
    Options

Well, what's your definition of clean?

I wash my fruits and vegetables before I eat them.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever the heck you want that fits your micro/macro goals.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Of course it is ideal to never consume additives, colorings, high amounts of calories, "imitation food" (oreos, kraft singles, boxed meals, etc) but honestly I don't know anyone that can just not eat these things, at all, ever. I don't see a problem with cheat days where of course its monitored so you didn't get your days calories from doritos alone, however I think that we should be trying to move away from these habits. So honestly I would start with cheat days on Saturdays and then go to every other Saturday being your cheat days where you can eat something junky. It's okay to eat more calories than planned occasionally but making sure they are coming from at least half decent sources is pretty important. If you are craving something sweet on your "inbetween" Saturday, treat yourself to a pile of fruit.

That's just what I think though. Nobody is perfect, myself included.

Cookies, cheese and boxed food are imitation foods? Please go on...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat clean. I couldn't do it, personally. I love food too much.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I couldn't because I don't even understand that term and I refuse to spend the rest of my life confused and befuddled by something that doesn't even matter.
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    as long as youre at a deficit and have energy, you can eat whatever you want. it's not like youre trying to become a body builder. you can view my diary if you want. i have really good days and really bad days, but i always lose weight or stay the same. i only gain when i try. lifting weights and cardio takes care of the rest.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    No that is completely unrealistic unless you are into the bodybuilding pageant scene...