Can you really eat "clean" your whole life?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's such a relief to see I'm not the only one that doesn't eat clean.

So as long as I'm in a deficit, I will lose weight?

Ive had people tell me if I don't eat clean, I wont get a flat stomach with definition, is that true?

No.

20127619_9689.jpg
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Your definition of clean seems to be a bit warped. I try eat mostly whole foods, minimally processed foods, I pasta, burgers and pizza. Yes, I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life.

i think the OP's point is many people consider burgers, pizza, pasta etc to be unhealthy and unclean but you're right, it is a warped definition.
  • pianochick5254
    Options

Ive had people tell me if I don't eat clean, I wont get a flat stomach with definition, is that true?

Absolutely not true. There are two approaches, one if for weight loss (which yes does affect health) and the other is for health. They can both go together but it is very possible to achieve and ideal weight without putting proper nutrition in your body.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm curious,

I originally lost weight, went from 150 to 110 pounds a couple of years ago. I ate CLEAN, I mostly just ate salads, fruit salads, and chicken.

Then, I gained the weight back, not only was I not eating enough calories when I lost the weight, I was depriving myself of everything I loved. Pasta, burgers, Pizza etc.

Now, I'm losing weight again, I'm at 130 from 137 and I haven't been eating clean at all.

If I crave a burger, I will have one. I have cheat days on Saturdays.

I see some people say they eat egg whites, chicken for lunch (plain chicken), chicken for dinner EVERYDAY. How is that sustainable? If you can do it, good for you, but I would lose my mind.

I want to lose weight the right way this time, but can I actually achieve the body I want eating everything I want in moderation, or do I have to eat "clean"?

I eat a very strict clean diet Monday thru Friday (clean being full Paleo & calorie counting) then eat whatever I want on Saturday and Sunday. I do have a gluten allergy, so that lets out a ton of food even on the weekends...I am ALWAYS gluten free. I rarely have a reason to go out on weeknights to parties or other types of social activities that would affect this plan, but we GO all weekend. If I was out on weeknights, I think this would be way more difficult...ALSO note...I am in maintance, and not trying to actively lose - but I am NOT GAINING with this eating style, I never feel deprived and if a weeknight party did pop up, i would still eat whatever gluten free thing i wanted and work out an extra hour...so YES, I could keep this up the rest of my life...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

If you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. If you have low body fat and decent underlying musculature, you will have a flat stomach with definition.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Of course it is ideal to never consume additives, colorings, high amounts of calories, "imitation food" (oreos, kraft singles, boxed meals, etc) but honestly I don't know anyone that can just not eat these things, at all, ever. I don't see a problem with cheat days where of course its monitored so you didn't get your days calories from doritos alone, however I think that we should be trying to move away from these habits. So honestly I would start with cheat days on Saturdays and then go to every other Saturday being your cheat days where you can eat something junky. It's okay to eat more calories than planned occasionally but making sure they are coming from at least half decent sources is pretty important. If you are craving something sweet on your "inbetween" Saturday, treat yourself to a pile of fruit.

That's just what I think though. Nobody is perfect, myself included.

Cookies, cheese and boxed food are imitation foods? Please go on...

First of all I consider food to be something that grows on trees, bushes, in the ground, basically on a plant or something that is classified as an animal (besides human).

Oreos:

SUGAR, UNBLEACHED UNRICHED FLOUR (, WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID) , HIGH OLEIC CONOLA OIL, AND/OR , PALM OIL, AND/OR , CANOLA OIL, AND/OR , SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (, BAKING SODA, AND/OR , CALCIUM PHOSPHATE) , SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN, - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR , CHOCOLATE

where is the food? Okay there is flour, cornstarch, salt, and chocolate. Seriously can you argue that this fits into the definition of "food"? any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth?

Kraft singles? Stove top stuffing? Hamburger Helper? Cheez-its? Crackers? Chef Boyardee?

Way to cherry pick your examples.

Cookies: Flour, butter, sugar, leavening agent, egg+whateverelseyouwant
    Kraft singles is not cheese, it is cheese product.
    Hamburger helper is essentially pasta with seasoning in a box. Add ground beef to it.
    Crackers? Unleavened bread.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Absolutely not true. There are two approaches, one if for weight loss (which yes does affect health) and the other is for health. They can both go together but it is very possible to achieve and ideal weight without putting proper nutrition in your body.

And how do you measure the state of one's health? Weight, bodyfat percentage, cardiovascular fitness, blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels, etc? Those can all be perfectly healthy in a person who consumes what you consider to be "junk".
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    tried eating clean, only to find out that "clean" eating is not exactly clear and just about every food available has something to offer. Cutting calories is a lot more clear cut. There's always something wrong with the food, even before the industrial age, there was something wrong with the food.
    I'm just going to take my chances with Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, and just make sure I don't go over my calories.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    PS.. My great granddad lived to be over 100 eating unclean foods like cookies, whiskey, little debbie's, sara lee, hamburger healthy etc (that mad had a HUGE sweet tooth). he didnt have weight problems or health problems, low blood pressure. of course those "unhealthy" foods weren't the only things he was eating, but he worked them into his regular diet.

so i call BS on this idea that eating unhealthy stuff automatically makes you unhealthy.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

You can tell people that this is 1st class BS...... If I wanted to get a flatter stomach I would lose all the fat I needed to and then I would start lifting weights, if I had not done so already..... eating healthful has to do with the general state of one's health and almost nothing with weight loss ( if a deficit is maintained ) or the shape of one's body.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am working on lowering my bf% with strength training and lifting as well as cardio.

So I am hoping to see some flat abs LOL.

But the reason I asked this question is because this girl at my work told me I wont ever see flat abs if I continue to eat burgers, pasta and "white" flours.

So I got worried.

I also see people on here, and on blogs eating chicken, plain chicken for every meal, I would lose my mind.
    I personally think Chicken breast is disgusting when cooked plain.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Of course it is ideal to never consume additives, colorings, high amounts of calories, "imitation food" (oreos, kraft singles, boxed meals, etc) but honestly I don't know anyone that can just not eat these things, at all, ever. I don't see a problem with cheat days where of course its monitored so you didn't get your days calories from doritos alone, however I think that we should be trying to move away from these habits. So honestly I would start with cheat days on Saturdays and then go to every other Saturday being your cheat days where you can eat something junky. It's okay to eat more calories than planned occasionally but making sure they are coming from at least half decent sources is pretty important. If you are craving something sweet on your "inbetween" Saturday, treat yourself to a pile of fruit.

First of all I consider food to be something that grows on trees, bushes, in the ground, basically on a plant or something that is classified as an animal (besides human).

Oreos:

SUGAR, UNBLEACHED UNRICHED FLOUR (, WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID) , HIGH OLEIC CONOLA OIL, AND/OR , PALM OIL, AND/OR , CANOLA OIL, AND/OR , SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (, BAKING SODA, AND/OR , CALCIUM PHOSPHATE) , SALT, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLIN, - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR , CHOCOLATE

where is the food? Okay there is flour, cornstarch, salt, and chocolate. Seriously can you argue that this fits into the definition of "food"? any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth?

Kraft singles? Stove top stuffing? Hamburger Helper? Cheez-its? Crackers? Chef Boyardee?

And yet, there's an Arby's sandwich in your food diary...

Edited because I missed the part where you eat animals. Still, I fail to see what tree bread grows on.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is important for your health, not just weight loss.

If your diet consists of mainly processed, boxed "food" full of preservatives and additives, you will be unhealthy regardless of your weight.

Not only will you be unhealthy, but you will be supporting one of the most corrupt companies in the world. (Monsanto)

Do yourself a favor and eat what comes from the earth. It's not difficult to follow by any means, it's a lifestyle that was followed by our ancestors not so long ago.

Also, the majority of chicken sold in a public market is no where NEAR clean.

Hmm...please tell me more about these vegetables and chickens you have in your backyard.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    PS.. My great granddad lived to be over 100 eating unclean foods like cookies, whiskey, little debbie's, sara lee, hamburger healthy etc (that mad had a HUGE sweet tooth). he didnt have weight problems or health problems, low blood pressure. of course those "unhealthy" foods weren't the only things he was eating, but he worked them into his regular diet.

so i call BS on this idea that eating unhealthy stuff automatically makes you unhealthy.

my grandmother smoked all her life, barely drank water (got it from her coffee), ate meats that were left out over night... and she's still alive in her 90s!!! And she still smokes!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

No. Not true at all. Have you met Sidesteel and Sara of Eat, Train, Progress group? Or ChrisDavey? DavPul?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Go look at their pictures and tell me that they don't have flat stomachs or definition..hahaha.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    But the reason I asked this question is because this girl at my work told me I wont ever see flat abs if I continue to eat burgers, pasta and "white" flours.

If you eat a calorie surplus of calorie-dense foods, you won't lose body fat. Enter MFP. It allows you to eat at a deficit while eating calorie-dense foods.
    I also see people on here, and on blogs eating chicken, plain chicken for every meal, I would lose my mind.
    I personally think Chicken breast is disgusting when cooked plain.

Eating plain chicken for every meal is just eating plain chicken every meal. Probably not getting enough fats. No need to think of this as "eating clean".
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Such a relief to know I can actually achieve a flat stomach and still enjoy a freakin burger.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Oreos:

All of these ingredients came either from plants (that grew in the ground) or from cows. Just because you don't understand the ingredient list doesn't make not so.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting the proper amount of calories and nutrients necessary to achieve your goals, you can eat whatever you want. And really, don't even worry about having a designated cheat day or cheat meal, if you want to eat something fit it in on any day.

Not saying this happens to everyone, but it seems like an awful lot of the baked chicken breast and steamed broccoli at every meal people end up having problems with caving in, binging and eventually gaining back a good portion of the weight they lost.