What does eating at a deficit mean?

Eating less cals than you burn.
  • teach28215
    Options
    Thanks
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    spin class worked for me alog with losing almost 90 lbs.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Book recommendation "thin thighs in 30 days". Just so you know, my thighs aren't really that thin. I have a woman shape and they will never, ever be small. They are not very fatty, but they are never going to be small.
  • ohthatzhott
    ohthatzhott Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear body type so I've had bigger thighs my whole life, even after I've lost weight. I do cardio and weights to keep them in line but I suggest you embrace it! Everyone is built differently, I can't imagine myself with tiny thighs. TONED thighs is always my aim. Plus I like how strong my legs are, it's pretty cool :)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have large legs too and hate it (buying larger sizes to fit my legs) but there's really nothing you can do. Just keep losing weight but exercise and eating right. You can't pick where the weight will come out from
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,685 Member
    Options
    If you retain water in your lower legs, you could try compression socks. Sold by sports manufacturers for preventing injury. I wore them in hospital due to risk of thrombosis. Was surprised at how much daintier my ankles looked.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have bigger thighs/calves as that's where I put on weight, and my hips too. I managed to lose 10 inches off my thighs and hips just through doing a variety of cardio and strength training - spinning, boxercise, Zumba, aerobics, LBT, step aerobics etc and gym sessions. My calves also shrunk and I can wear knee high boots now.

I put on a lot on my thighs in my last pregnancy, and my lower legs did retain some water then. I'm pregnant now and still doing strength training, so hoping my thighs remain ok.

Even after losing weight/consistent exercise for over 2 years, I still consider myself to have bigger legs. That's just the way I'm built. I have an hourglass shape though, so I'm not complaining.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    First to be put on, last to come off. If you gained weight in your legs first they are probably going to be harder than your other problem areas to come off
  • Flex382
    Flex382 Posts: 257
    Options
    First to be put on, last to come off. If you gained weight in your legs first they are probably going to be harder than your other problem areas to come off

true
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. Eat fewer calories. Closing the refrigerator door is the most effective exercise there is. :drinker:

Haha! Love this
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 and am within 15 pounds of my goal weight, and it is almost comical sometimes how the weight chooses to come off. It's only been in the last 10 pounds or so that it's been *really* noticeable on my legs, it started at my knees and it's shrinking up my thigh like someone squeezing a gogurt. :laugh:

The best thing to do would be to focus on getting the weight off at a healthy rate and keep exercising. You won't have a good idea of what your shape is going to be until you get closer to your goal.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. Eat fewer calories. Closing the refrigerator door is the most effective exercise there is. :drinker:
    if i close the fridge door i couldnt get to my steak and veggies
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K training..no change in weight or inches....won't calf raises make my legs bigger?

Not unless you add fat deposits there. If you didn't lose anything after completing the C25k, then my guess is you aren't tracking your food accurately.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Work those legs girl...along with your diet I would suggest some exercises such as: leg presses, squats, lunges and step-up lunges, calve raises, leg curl machine and hamstring curl machine & my favorite; the stair-stepper or stair-climber or old fashion steps!!
  • prettykitty1963
    prettykitty1963 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for taking the time out to offer me your advice. Hopefully by summer there will be a BIG difference in my legs. Toned and shapely :happy:
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CorrieLA
    CorrieLA Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 50 and am within 15 pounds of my goal weight, and it is almost comical sometimes how the weight chooses to come off. It's only been in the last 10 pounds or so that it's been *really* noticeable on my legs, it started at my knees and it's shrinking up my thigh like someone squeezing a gogurt. :laugh:

The best thing to do would be to focus on getting the weight off at a healthy rate and keep exercising. You won't have a good idea of what your shape is going to be until you get closer to your goal.

Haha, this is the best thing I've ever read! ????