1,200 calories?

Options
124»

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, I was really surprised to see how many people say 1200 calories is starvation level! I do 1200 and it's just about the perfect amount. There are days when I'm still hungry, and if that's the case I'll have a small, healthy snack even if it's over 1200 calories, because I don't think it's healthy to not eat when you're hungry.

There are other days when I feel so full that I have to force myself to choke down a snack or two because I don't want to be under 1200 calories, since I keep hearing that 1200 is the bare minimum that a female human body needs to function without going into "starvation mode" or whatever.

As far as the original question...I eat fewer calories for breakfast, maybe 200, so I know I have plenty to last throughout the day. I eat small snacks between meals so I don't feel the need to gorge myself at meals.

"Starvation level"? In my reply, I said, "I was starving on 1200 calories/day," but I didn't mean it literally. If that were true, I'd have reached 110 lbs. by now. :wink: For me, 1200 was too drastic for me to maintain; I upped my calories for psychological reasons (I felt totally deprived) AND because I didn't have THAT much weight left to lose, anyway. (My goal was/is 125 lbs. New goal will be 110 or 115 lbs.)

But, if this wasn't the general statement that you were commenting about, then ignore me and carry on. :bigsmile:
  • Christina2189
    Christina2189 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories has been working for me so far. I'm 5'2 and started at 215 pounds. I eat every 2 hours or so. My meal plan is almost the same every day but I do vary it up a little. Breakfast: Oatmeal, almonds, fruit, turkey, light string cheese (not all of this at once, I pick and rotate). Snack 1: Multrigrain bar or almonds Lunch: light soup, salad with measured chicken on top, sometimes an egg. Snack 2: Multrigrain bar/almonds/fruit/cucumber & hummus (not all, just one, depends on breakfast and snack 1). Dinner: Always the same- fish, green pepper, on a salad, sometimes with mushrooms. Then lots and lots of water. I'm not drinking as much as I should but I try to drink as much as I can. People say 1200 is starving yourself but to be completely honest, I'm not cheating, my meal plan doesn't have me go over 1200 calories and I'm really not hungry. When I work out I have more calories and I never go over. I am just very aware of the calorie count, as well as carbs, sugars, and sodium amounts in the food that I'm eating. I'm not a doctor and I haven't consulted with a dietitian yet about this, but so far it's working for me but everyone is different.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, I was really surprised to see how many people say 1200 calories is starvation level! I do 1200 and it's just about the perfect amount. There are days when I'm still hungry, and if that's the case I'll have a small, healthy snack even if it's over 1200 calories, because I don't think it's healthy to not eat when you're hungry.

There are other days when I feel so full that I have to force myself to choke down a snack or two because I don't want to be under 1200 calories, since I keep hearing that 1200 is the bare minimum that a female human body needs to function without going into "starvation mode" or whatever.

As far as the original question...I eat fewer calories for breakfast, maybe 200, so I know I have plenty to last throughout the day. I eat small snacks between meals so I don't feel the need to gorge myself at meals.
    1200 is starvation for most people. There is a difference between being fed exactly 1200 calories and not allowed a calorie above and someone saying they only eat 1200. Fortunately the body is smart enough to ignore the intention of 1200 calories and forces the person to eat more (eating disorders aside) or binge or make a person completely forget they ate something in the name of preservation.........the proof is that most people can't sustain weight loss and continue to yo-yo......continuing to consume very low calories is a mostly a desperate or ill informed action for weight loss, always has and always will....the basic problem is that is does ensure quick weight loss and god only knows that is what we' ve designated as success for just about everything, so why not weight loss.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

1200 is starvation for most people. There is a difference between being fed exactly 1200 calories and not allowed a calorie above and someone saying they only eat 1200. Fortunately the body is smart enough to ignore the intention of 1200 calories and forces the person to eat more (eating disorders aside) or binge or make a person completely forget they ate something in the name of preservation.........the proof is that most people can't sustain weight loss and continue to yo-yo......continuing to consume very low calories is a mostly a desperate or ill informed action for weight loss, always has and always will....the basic problem is that is does ensure quick weight loss and god only knows that is what we' ve designated as success for just about everything, so why not weight loss.

starving.gif

tumblr_mbr4kbovCt1qf8btso1_400.gif

2000kcals FTW!
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 1 - was 196lb so MFP gave me 1200 :-(

Do I get hungry? yes - I am a fat person! I like food! do I want crisps and chocolate? yes! - but I dont have it.

I dont stick to it religiously,I look at the whole weekly picture some days im over some im under - if I want more I do more.

What I will say - is using MFP has made me fit my dieting in with my life for the first time ever, In the past I would have 'Lean cuisine' type meals several days a week and the odd ' real dinner'. This time round I have what ever the family have - just a smaller portion. So I consider this a healthier way, I see this as sustainable

47478456.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • briebuck
    briebuck Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    im allotted 1200 a day and im starving too. i dont when i drink a lot of water(try chugging 2 glasses before a meal, the studies on how much less you then eat and how much fuller you feel are amazing!)
    TONS of protein
    HUGE portions of low calorie veggies. the thing i hate about dieting is being able to let go and eat a huge portion of something. i do this now with veggies - add flavor (garlic salt, some spicy salt mix, cheese even )

and if you are still hungry, go work out. I find that I can work out longer and harder when i picture the food im craving in my head, knowing im working to getting it guilt free