Do you like the British Broadcasting Corporation?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not sure about BBC itself but they've sure put on some great shows throughout the years.
  • southpaw3833
    Options
    They're a corporation so they're obviously evil, and I'm pretty sure that this thread is a scam to get people to view their channel. Are you a spy?

Just wanted opinions of the BBC
    Have you been exposed to a lot of the BBC? Maybe you haven't found the right show for you.

I see what you did there....

qFykz.gif
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Used to watch it a lot. Favourite shows were: Are you being served?, Keeping up appearances, and Fawlty towers.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    God, no.

They are bloated, biased, unaccountable behomoth that have allowed paedophiles to roam freely in its corridors for years. They have over one hundred staff in South Africa right now covering the Mandela tributes. They support a symphony orchestra. They sit on billions and billions of real estate, paid for by muggins. Their output is mediocre across the board, at best.

It is paid for by threat of imprisonment, and the collection arm lie, cheat, deceive and terrify vulnerable people.

They should be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, broken up, sold off to the highest bidder and be forced to compete in the commercial world.

If Top Gear and Gordon Ramsey are really popular (and I don't doubt they are), they will thrive in a competitive environment.
  • cm2owl
    cm2owl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a huge BBC fan.

I watch Dr. Who, Orphan Black, Sherlock, Ripper Street, Broadchurch, Copper and I am trying to get into Atlantis.

I know, I'm a geek. But it's who I am.

:)
    Christy
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Used to watch it a lot. Favourite shows were: Are you being served?, Keeping up appearances, and Fawlty towers.

Ha! Those are my favorite too. I can watch the scene in Are you being served? where the do they Coco club commerical and cant remember her name puts on the fake eyelashes gets them stuck together, the stool get's stuck to her butt, and they dance to the farting accordion over and over again. Just thinking about it makes me laugh out loud.

Oh, LOL and the mic slips down her cleavage so Mr. Peacock has to talk down in her cleavage, and then it slips further and they suggest he talk up her skirt. Hahahahahah oh I can just think about that and it cracks me up.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Ha! Those are my favorite too. I can watch the scene in Are you being served? where the do they Coco club commerical and cant remember her name puts on the fake eyelashes gets them stuck together, the stool get's stuck to her butt, and they dance to the farting accordion over and over again. Just thinking about it makes me laugh out loud.

LMAO!!! Yess!!!!! I miss it :(
  • ldrosophila
    Options

LMAO!!! Yess!!!!! I miss it :(

LOL I bought the DVD set since I'm an addict
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I lisen to the BBC World News over here in America, and I quite like it. Mainly because they are much more objective than our wonderful American media. But also because I love the accent, they could read me a phone book and I would listen.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Love the programming, hate the 'business model'.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Slow day?
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I for one welcome our BBC overlords
    I am a huge BBC fan.

:smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

yeah lol.... I didn't have a TV for a couple of years, I was constantly hounded by letters telling me I didn't have a TV license. One they asked me to fill in a form with one question "I don't have a TV license because ____________________" and on the line I wrote "I do not have a TV set" but still the letters kept on coming. I almost wished they'd send their stupid TV detector van around so they could search my house, not find any trace of a TV set and stop sending me the bloody letters!!!!!
  • ldrosophila
    Options

yeah lol.... I didn't have a TV for a couple of years, I was constantly hounded by letters telling me I didn't have a TV license. One they asked me to fill in a form with one question "I don't have a TV license because ____________________" and on the line I wrote "I do not have a TV set" but still the letters kept on coming. I almost wished they'd send their stupid TV detector van around so they could search my house, not find any trace of a TV set and stop sending me the bloody letters!!!!!

what is a TV license?
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I used to be..until they cancelled Ripper Street..now I'm just annoyed :/ If they had actually advertised the fact they had moved it from Sunday night to Monday then people (like me) would have watched it from the beginning and not half way through after I stumbled upon it by chance. NOT HAPPY.

But on the whole the Beeb is a great public service. If you live in Ireland you will agree that RTE have nothing on them for the quality of broadcasting, particuarly in drama. (RTE news services are good)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    3 words -

Doctor Who
    Sherlock
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

what is a TV license?

the BBC is funded through the TV license, it's kind of like a tax on TVs. If you own a TV you have to buy a license. If you don't have one and they catch you watching the BBC channels you'll get in big trouble and can even go to jail (similar to not paying road tax etc). That's how the BBC is funded, and there are no commercials on the BBC, which is good. And I'm happy to pay for a license if I have a TV and watch the BBC...... but it's the assumption of the people who check up on TV licenses that absolutely no-one does not own a TV and therefore anyone who doesn't have a TV license is a criminal, that really did my head in.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I lisen to the BBC World News over here in America, and I quite like it. Mainly because they are much more objective than our wonderful American media. But also because I love the accent, they could read me a phone book and I would listen.

this2_zps28ca6a74.gif
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    mrt.gif
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think my ex girlfriend likes BBC.

That might be why she's your ex?