Do you allow yourself a treat everyday or less than that?

Options

Replies

• jrp820
    Options
    When I'm craving something sweet I'll drink a sweet flavored tea. Right now I'm enjoying 'White Chocolate Frost' from Davids Tea with a splash of almond milk in there. It usually does the trick. If not, I'll go for a spoon of peanut butter.
  • ObsidianFyre
    Options
    You know, I take one day a week where I'm not watching exactly what I eat. But I also make sure that I have things like canned peaches, apples, bananas, lemons, low fat and low sugar ice cream in case. I do everything in moderation. If I want a piece of chocolate, I have a piece of chocolate, not an entire bar. If I'm craving salts I check how much I've had.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost everyday but I always measure it out so it will fit it into my macros. By satisfying that craving, it keeps me from bingeing all day, everyday.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth and love chocolate! I keep the dark chocolate mini's in the fridge, no sugar added frozen yogurt in the freezer and I have some every day. They fit my plan and I keep my sugars and carbs within my macros and all is well.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Oh Yes! Everyday! My go to is a Zone bar - Chocolate Fudge Graham.
    But another one that really tastes like a baddie is my smoothie. I use - a banana, ice, red grapes, blueberries and protein powder - in a blender. Its awesome and definitely good for you. Amazing !
    But yes - i make sure i have exercised enough to fit everything in.
    Don't think i could have lasted this long without my "treats"!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    For all you moderation preachers..............having a treat everyday is not moderation.

Oh, get off your

fc,220x200,white.jpg
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I get that for a lot of people daily treats really work for them and makes dieting/living worthwhile but there's nothing wrong with the opposite and I wish people here would stop acting like there is.

I don't eat treats everyday or even necessarily every month. I'm not miserable or deprived. The food I eat everyday is delicious, full fat, flavorful food that is completely indulgent -- it's just not chock full of sugar/carbs. I save those foods for the holidays, special occasions and every once in awhile I'll have a hoagie or something just because. But it's not part of my everyday diet.

I've been eating this way for over a year and it's completely sustainable. I can maintain my weight loss without calorie counting, eat out just about anywhere, enjoy special occasions with my friends and family and the best part? I'm not starving all of the time. I'm completely full and satisfied after each and every meal even eating at a deficit. That's worth "depriving" myself of food I don't even think about or want on a daily basis.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I don't like, so almost everything seems like a treat.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I get that for a lot of people daily treats really work for them and makes dieting/living worthwhile but there's nothing wrong with the opposite and I wish people here would stop acting like there is.

I don't eat treats everyday or even necessarily every month. I'm not miserable or deprived. The food I eat everyday is delicious, full fat, flavorful food that is completely indulgent -- it's just not chock full of sugar/carbs. I save those foods for the holidays, special occasions and every once in awhile I'll have a hoagie or something just because. But it's not part of my everyday diet.

I've been eating this way for over a year and it's completely sustainable. I can maintain my weight loss without calorie counting, eat out just about anywhere, enjoy special occasions with my friends and family and the best part? I'm not starving all of the time. I'm completely full and satisfied after each and every meal even eating at a deficit. That's worth "depriving" myself of food I don't even think about or want on a daily basis.

You make a very valid point.

What gets people's backs up is people like Paleo who would have you believe that complete abstinence is the only route to good health.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Food is a treat, and I eat all day everyday. Lately my favorite has been my nightly Cinnamon Toast Crunch...finding it hard to believe...I'm in heaven.
  • sammorris73113528
    Options
    I joined this myfitnesspal site today while brosing the web for some information. I have been on a diet now for 5 months and I have lost 80 Lbs. so far. I still plan to lose another 75 Lbs.

I have wrote my own diet plan and turning it into a book. You have to be serious about dieting or you will not succeed. Here is an excerpt from my book pertaining to snacks. You have to take dieting seriously, otherwise you will drift away from your dieting plan and you will not lose weight. , I wrote this excerpt from my book, for some Italian friends in New York. The message here is that a dieting must be done seriously, if you expect to lose weight. You cannot give in to yourself or anyone else for snacks or treats. There is no drifting off the diet for snacks and treats. See below.

Snacks? Forget about it. Wakeup, smell the coffee pal. Snacks? Are you crazy? Forget about it.

Let’s get serious pal, snack food? Don’t even think about it, capisce? You're here for a reason pal, you’re fat, you’re a walkin’ heart attack here. Have you looked in the mirror? You look like a rhino. Snacks? Get-out-a-here. You can’t live like this, it’s enough already. Oobatz! Forget the tiramisu, forget the cannolies, no cheesecake, no trifle, forget the pies and the ice creams. You gots to stick with the food in this diet, and while you’re on this diet, don’tchu ever, and I mean ever, eat anything that’s not on this diet. That means no proshut, no gabagool, and don’t be thinkin’ about some other food, more than your goomah? You mean, something, to her pal. What’s-sat guy say, that kid from Alabama? That uh, Forest kid, yeah, Forrest Gump, that Alabama kid. He said; “Life is like a box of chocolates”, and that’s right pal, but it don’t last long for fat people. You hear what I’m saying? You’re out-a-shape pal; you gots yourself a real health problem here withes the weight, pal.

Your life ain’t no look-a-like contest, you aint at the Bronx Zoo my friend, and you ain’t no, human hippo. You gots to ditch the weight, capisce? So, for snacks my friend, forget about it. You’re on a diet pal, and it aint no party with piña colada‎'s, and cake. You want to snack, you wanna nibble, huh pal? Then, you godda do this right. If you godda nibble, then you nibble on this stuff, pal.

Jolly Time Gluten Free Air Popped popcorn, dry, 1 cup = 20 calories and 0 calories from fat
    Cold baby carrots, limit to 8 pieces a day
    Celery stalk, plain, limit to 2 a day
    Strawberries, limited to no more than 6 a day.
    Cantaloupe chunks 1-inch square, limit to 6 pieces a day.
    Prunes, limit to 2 prunes a day.
    Green Grapes, limit to 6 a day.

Now look pal, this list don’t mean for yous to makes yourself a tossed vegetable and fruit salad. You can have some of the items shown on this list as you might feel an urge to nibble, but look pal, not all the items on the list served up in some big mixing bowl like you’re feeding some zoo animal, and certainly, not all these items at one time, capisce?

Look pal, your goomah, that beautiful little girl, she sees something in you pal, and yous gots to lose the weight, do it for her, OK pal, capisce? For a guy your size, yous stick to this diet for six-months, and ring-a-ding-ding, you’ll be down to your weight pal. Now, if anybody and I mean anybody, asks you who told you that you's gots to be on a diet? You tell them, Fat Sammy put you on this diet, capisce? If some schlemiel has something to say about yous being on a diet, you tell the clown, to come see me, yous tell the shmuck to come see Fat Sammy, OK pal?

When you have reached your target weight, don’t think that you can go back to the lifestyle you had been living, stuffing your face with everything from fast food burgers and pizza, to ice cream and cake. Those days are over pal. When you have reached your target weight, you’re going to adjust your diet with low calorie foods and meals, and you’re going to mix these into your everyday routine to balance your diet and stay at your target weight. Capisce?
  • UsernameIsTaken74
    Options
    I give myself a reward day once a week (On Monday's - makes the day something to look forward to for a change!)

Having said that I don't go nuts with it, i just eat one meal or portion of something I really want. So far it's going ok!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't "allow" myself a treat. I'm not a dog. LOL. If I want something I eat it. If it's too much, I exercise.

I make myself sit up pretty for it.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Treat? You mean my mandatory latte and ice cream evening snack? As long as I'm meeting my macros and staying in my calorie target I eat what I want.
  • keltoi93
    keltoi93 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's inevitable I'll hit my goal now so have no problem having treats. For instance I've my university exams at the moment and today I had a 450g Ben and Jerry's tub of ice-cream! 1000 calories but including my dinner/breakfast I still hit my maintenance calorie weight.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Depends. A lot of time my treats are some Greek yogurt, protein bar, or some Graze box snacks. But typically yeah I have 300ish calories of whatever I want every day.

Yes! Scoop of isopure cookies & cream protein powder mixed into a half cup of geek yogurt and one of the fruit/nut graze packs sprinkled on top. :heart:
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

No one said you had to follow the same plan as anyone else. What everyone appeared to be saying is that if it fits into their plan and keeps them on track to lose, then that's what they do. A few people have said they don't and no one has jumped them. Well, except for the one person who apparently didn't know the definition of 'moderation'. So, keep doing what works for you and everyone else will, too. :smile:
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wow to the person writing a books comment. I'm sorry but I would never read that book. Being to rigid is imo what causes to many diets to fail and binge eating. Plus mfp isn't about a diet it is a life style change. I have been calorie counting with snacks for 3 months and lost 34lbs if that isn't successful idk what it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I joined this myfitnesspal site today while brosing the web for some information. I have been on a diet now for 5 months and I have lost 80 Lbs. so far. I still plan to lose another 75 Lbs.

I have wrote my own diet plan and turning it into a book. You have to be serious about dieting or you will not succeed. Here is an excerpt from my book pertaining to snacks. You have to take dieting seriously, otherwise you will drift away from your dieting plan and you will not lose weight. , I wrote this excerpt from my book, for some Italian friends in New York. The message here is that a dieting must be done seriously, if you expect to lose weight. You cannot give in to yourself or anyone else for snacks or treats. There is no drifting off the diet for snacks and treats. See below.

Snacks? Forget about it. Wakeup, smell the coffee pal. Snacks? Are you crazy? Forget about it.

Let’s get serious pal, snack food? Don’t even think about it, capisce? You're here for a reason pal, you’re fat, you’re a walkin’ heart attack here. Have you looked in the mirror? You look like a rhino. Snacks? Get-out-a-here. You can’t live like this, it’s enough already. Oobatz! Forget the tiramisu, forget the cannolies, no cheesecake, no trifle, forget the pies and the ice creams. You gots to stick with the food in this diet, and while you’re on this diet, don’tchu ever, and I mean ever, eat anything that’s not on this diet. That means no proshut, no gabagool, and don’t be thinkin’ about some other food, more than your goomah? You mean, something, to her pal. What’s-sat guy say, that kid from Alabama? That uh, Forest kid, yeah, Forrest Gump, that Alabama kid. He said; “Life is like a box of chocolates”, and that’s right pal, but it don’t last long for fat people. You hear what I’m saying? You’re out-a-shape pal; you gots yourself a real health problem here withes the weight, pal.

Your life ain’t no look-a-like contest, you aint at the Bronx Zoo my friend, and you ain’t no, human hippo. You gots to ditch the weight, capisce? So, for snacks my friend, forget about it. You’re on a diet pal, and it aint no party with piña colada‎'s, and cake. You want to snack, you wanna nibble, huh pal? Then, you godda do this right. If you godda nibble, then you nibble on this stuff, pal.

Jolly Time Gluten Free Air Popped popcorn, dry, 1 cup = 20 calories and 0 calories from fat

Now look pal, this list don’t mean for yous to makes yourself a tossed vegetable and fruit salad. You can have some of the items shown on this list as you might feel an urge to nibble, but look pal, not all the items on the list served up in some big mixing bowl like you’re feeding some zoo animal, and certainly, not all these items at one time, capisce?

Look pal, your goomah, that beautiful little girl, she sees something in you pal, and yous gots to lose the weight, do it for her, OK pal, capisce? For a guy your size, yous stick to this diet for six-months, and ring-a-ding-ding, you’ll be down to your weight pal. Now, if anybody and I mean anybody, asks you who told you that you's gots to be on a diet? You tell them, Fat Sammy put you on this diet, capisce? If some schlemiel has something to say about yous being on a diet, you tell the clown, to come see me, yous tell the shmuck to come see Fat Sammy, OK pal?

When you have reached your target weight, don’t think that you can go back to the lifestyle you had been living, stuffing your face with everything from fast food burgers and pizza, to ice cream and cake. Those days are over pal. When you have reached your target weight, you’re going to adjust your diet with low calorie foods and meals, and you’re going to mix these into your everyday routine to balance your diet and stay at your target weight. Capisce?

I think you'll find there are a great many very successful people on this site that would scoff at this. I'm one of them.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

TL;DR... pal!