Should I tip the pizza guy?

Options

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Order was $17 then just give the person $20 and don't worry about getting change back.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Would you want tipped?

As a former bartender and waitress, when part of what you make is based on tips, getting stiffed really sucks. And when word gets out that you don't tip, we aren't likely to give you good service.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love anyone who brings me food so I will always tip them. (Plus if you don't tip them this time they might spit on your pizza next time) :tongue:
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I actually wondered this too but I am in Australia. We don't tip for nearly anything here because the minimum wage is so high but pizza delivery is one of few grey areas. We pay for the higher minimum wage in various ways though, everything is that little bit more expensive but overall everyone has more money so it works I guess, at least for now until we are in such massive debt that things have to change, but I digress.

It still boggles my mind as an Australian that Americans rely so much on tips to survive. I was reading an article earlier from our local paper about the revolt going on at the fast food chains in New York initially and now the rest of America. Basically it was saying that the minimum wage in America is too low and people working 70 hours at that wage are still struggling to live. According to the article the minimum wage over there is $7.50 an hour and Maccas and Walmart only pay that much while pocketing large profits. Here the minimum wage is $14.50 but Maccas will give you a minimum of $15 an hour. Supposedly the price of a big mac here is only marginally more expensive too.

I think it would be great for you guys to lift the minimum wage, which would in turn lift the price of a fast food product which would in turn make healthier store bought food more economically viable. At the same time these increases would increase the tax being paid to the government, both via income tax and GST and potentially reduce obesity. Although having said that we have a higher minimum wage, and marginally more expensive fast food and I think we have a larger percentage of obese people here now than in America...

Oh, and if I delivered pizza, I would prefer certain tips over others...
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    First don't eat pizza... bad calories :P

If you get a good service.. pay the tip! Its holiday season :)

get out.

2Se3JOD.gif

vader_didnt_read.gif
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i mean it is always gud to tip to show appreciation but delivery drivers get a decent hourly wage at least minium wage so its not like they are working for tips its just a nice incentative to the pay check they get

but always tip your server at a dine in restaurant
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    If he's standing in the middle of the field and you're SURE he's really asleep... and you're SURE the farmer isn't around... Go for it.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If he's standing in the middle of the field and you're SURE he's really asleep... and you're SURE the farmer isn't around... Go for it.

Huh? You lost me! lol!
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options

nicely done :smokin:
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think you should haggle like you're in a Marrakech bazar, if it's advertised at $15, you should be able to get it for $12 no problem....No-one opens with the amount they're expecting right?
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

You've made my day at 8.31am. Nice work!
  • nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you had to work delivering pizza just so you could earn a buck, wouldn't you want to get a tip? The extra couple of dollars wont make that much of a difference for you, but certainly will help the delivery person. That two dollars is not going to them, so add an extra two dollars. Its not a big deal.
  • aliecrawlyxxx
    Options
    If he's on time then yeah !!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think the simple answer is this:

If you're American: Tip

If you're British: Don't tip and tut at the idea of tipping
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes, if they were courteous...Most people take that job based on the premise that they will make tips. The charge is for the business, not the drivers.

I don't know about Australia, though. Minimum wage where I live is pretty low.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I always tip. Don't want to risk them messing with the food.

I now can't order from favourite takeaway place. The manager seemed extremely overly keen (used to live opposite me). Placed a large order for event at work & rang back to ask if they'd drop off the receipt when next passing. No big deal but they'd forgot it at time of delivery & we needed it for petty cash. Manager rang me back had huge humiliating over reaction to apologising to me. Then rang delivery guy on his day off & screamed at him. Guy came in next night to drop the receipt in for me. He said the boss had gone completely nuts with him. Plus he said he was already having a bad week as he'd been diagnosed with a possible cancerous growth! I've never felt so bad in my entire life & haven't ever dared order from there since.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hell yeah, mine is a hottie, he comes right in and has drinks with me
  • 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The pizza place near my house has a $2 fee for delivery charges.

Large pizza costs $15, that means it really costs $17.

Does that mean I don't need to tip, since it's already included in the cost of the pizza?

You know.. supply and demand.

Thanks
    don't tip the pizza guy just tap him and then he will tip u :)