fitbit for Christmas

Options
2»

Replies

• pettycoatjunction
    pettycoatjunction Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I am buying myself one... with in the week! I love the input everyone is giving me. It looks like the majority of you like the One. I will do a bit more research and then get started walking and climbing some stairs! Thanks so much for all the tips!
  • Vickiheiss
    Vickiheiss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started with a Fitbit Ultra about 2 years ago. Unfortunately I got soaking wet on a boat trip last spring and "fried" the unit. I replaced it with a Fitbit One. I really love it! I bought one for my husband for Christmas and he is enjoying trying to do as many steps and stairs as I do in a day.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Force and love it. It has been about a month and it does motivate me to get going.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Warnings for Fitbits and other HRMS:

1. They are completely inaccurate for anything other than steady state cardio. If you weight train, do HITT, sprints etc, the numbers will be way off.

2. If you work out in an elevated temperature, the calories will be inflated. Higher temps increase your heart rate but not your calorie burn.

3. If the straps are dirty in the least, the number could be way off.

4. If you heart rate is irregular or otherwise not normal, the HRM will give you incorrect results.

5. If the relationship between your heart rate and your VO2 max is not completely average, the burn will be off (need a doc to check this too)

HRMs can be a good tool, but just know that they are not 100% accurate or infallible. These caveats are always downplayed.
  • Pmscur
    Pmscur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting on this subject. My husband and I were looking into getting a FitBit and are still trying to decide.
    I more tool for success , I like it!
  • jessicarabbit8
    jessicarabbit8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Warnings for Fitbits and other HRMS:

1. They are completely inaccurate for anything other than steady state cardio. If you weight train, do HITT, sprints etc, the numbers will be way off.

2. If you work out in an elevated temperature, the calories will be inflated. Higher temps increase your heart rate but not your calorie burn.

3. If the straps are dirty in the least, the number could be way off.

4. If you heart rate is irregular or otherwise not normal, the HRM will give you incorrect results.

5. If the relationship between your heart rate and your VO2 max is not completely average, the burn will be off (need a doc to check this too)

HRMs can be a good tool, but just know that they are not 100% accurate or infallible. These caveats are always downplayed.

I don't believe any of the Fit Bits measure your heart rate at all. They are pedometers primarily.
  • jessicarabbit8
    jessicarabbit8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Fit Bit One and love it :)