naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, basically all "naturally thin" people are just not overeating calories vs what they burn.
    Right. But some people naturally burn more than others.

Which most of those naturally thin people move a lot more than we think or eat less than you think. It's very common to under estimate your own calories and over estimate someone else.. it's part of human nature. If you saw my brother in law, you would think he is naturally skinny because he eats mcdonalds and cheesesteaks and drinks, but the fact is, he rarely eats breakfast, and when he does eat, it's generally a half of plate. Additionally, he walks a lot.

Again, I WAS one of those people and I live with one of those people. I know how much I moved and how much he moved.

so you tracked your calories as well as theirs?

BTW, i was naturally thin until junior year of college.. And if it makes you feel better, my wife thinks I have a tapeworm because she swears I can devourer anything. And while i do eat a lot, its the type of foods I am eating that don't add to high calories.

ps - during high school and most of college, it wasn't unusual for me to eat 3 big macs in one sitting.

I know what the calories were in the foods I used to eat, so I have a pretty good idea of how much I was eating. It wasn't unusual for me to polish off a small pizza and an order of wings on my own in one sitting. That's about triple the calories I eat now. I wore a size 6.

If you look in my photos here, there is a picture of me in a red ball gown. That is how I ate at the time I wore that dress. I also did not exercise near as much as I do now, nor did I move more in general.

I have a very good idea of how many calories are in the fast food and ice cream my fiance scarfs down every day, as well.

With all due respect, without something like a fitbit tracker and actual logging of food, it's impossible to say with certainty that you (in the past) and your fiance (now) were/are defying the laws of physics. Also, maybe fiance has an overactive thyroid?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, basically all "naturally thin" people are just not overeating calories vs what they burn.

Which most of those naturally thin people move a lot more than we think or eat less than you think. It's very common to under estimate your own calories and over estimate someone else.. it's part of human nature. If you saw my brother in law, you would think he is naturally skinny because he eats mcdonalds and cheesesteaks and drinks, but the fact is, he rarely eats breakfast, and when he does eat, it's generally a half of plate. Additionally, he walks a lot.

Again, I WAS one of those people and I live with one of those people. I know how much I moved and how much he moved.

so you tracked your calories as well as theirs?

BTW, i was naturally thin until junior year of college.. And if it makes you feel better, my wife thinks I have a tapeworm because she swears I can devourer anything. And while i do eat a lot, its the type of foods I am eating that don't add to high calories.

ps - during high school and most of college, it wasn't unusual for me to eat 3 big macs in one sitting.

I know what the calories were in the foods I used to eat, so I have a pretty good idea of how much I was eating. It wasn't unusual for me to polish off a small pizza and an order of wings on my own in one sitting. That's about triple the calories I eat now. I wore a size 6.

If you look in my photos here, there is a picture of me in a red ball gown. That is how I ate at the time I wore that dress. I also did not exercise near as much as I do now, nor did I move more in general.

I have a very good idea of how many calories are in the fast food and ice cream my fiance scarfs down every day, as well.

With all due respect, without something like a fitbit tracker and actual logging of food, it's impossible to say with certainty that you (in the past) and your fiance (now) were/are defying the laws of physics. Also, maybe fiance has an overactive thyroid?
    I'm not saying that. I'm saying that my metabolism at the time allowed me to burn massive amounts of calories with little effort. It has since changed.

Of course you will gain/not lose if you eat more than you burn or the same amount that you burn. I'm saying I was burning a lot of calories without trying, thus it was pretty much impossible at that time to out-eat my metabolism.

My fiance looks just like his mother, who is also tiny. She actually has hypothyroid. His daughter is 5'6" and weighs 90 pounds.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I read a study that showed that naturally thin people do calorie restrict in a healthy manner, without really being aware it. My daughter (for instance) is slim at 9 years old, but eat pancakes, chocolate bars, etc. on top of her regular meals. But she usually doesn't eat a lot at one sitting, unless she is REALLY hungry, and can leave chocolate sitting in front of her while she plays on the computer, and just nibbles on it occasionally. My 17 yr old stepson regularly turns down yummy foods because he's just 'not hungry'. But when he's hungry, he definitely eats. It has been interesting to me to watch how they naturally calorie restrict. I have done for years, but intentionally, because I was a chubby kid and teenager and made the choice then to not be overweight and have kept with it.

I totally agree with this. Growing up all of us thought that i am the naturally chubby one and my bro is the thin one. But we look at food differently, he eats food only from time to time when the food is on the table. He would eat more than me yes, so to the visible eye it would seem like he ate more than me but was thinner. But what people do not notice is that i am constantly nibbling on food throughout the day. Just when i am typing this, i have quest bar and coffee right in front of me (this is in addition to my breakfast this morning) LOL
    So i have noone to blame but myself for my fatness :laugh:
    Also, some people lift more, have lower BF% and can afford to eat more. Also depends on the lifestyle, whether you are sedentary or active throughout the day.
    Nobody i am guessing is naturally thin!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    BMR doesn't change all that much with aging. I mean, it doesn't like half itself (barring huge weight loss).

I think memory can be faulty. I didn't have to watch my weight until I hit 30 but that's probably because I was active, I was on my feet all day working and while I ate pizza and burgers and all, I probably only ate once a day on average. And I didn't drink calories.

I would argue that most of us are born 'naturally thin'. The books on the subject of intuitive eating often point to toddlers as the perfect examples of listening to your body. Their intake will vary a LOT, they will eat mostly anything, they will leave sweets untouched if they're full. It's by us learning to ignore those natural hunger/fullness signs and associate eating instead with everything from celebrations to comfort to stress relief to boredom, and the abundance of super-caloric foods that get in our way.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Obviously if you consume more than you burn, you will be become fat. However, I do feel that some people have naturally higher TDEEs than others, and when I say higher, I mean by a large amount. Of course, I think that also happens more often when people are in their teens and 20s and it will eventually catch up with them.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I had a boyfriend in college that was 6' and weighed 145lbs. He was constantly eating high calories and drinking protein shakes to gain weight. HOWEVER... he also boxed, ran and played tennis! I was always complaining that he never gained and I was always dieting, if anyone asked me I would have said that he is just naturally thin. Please know that at the time I did NOT box, run or play tennis, or do any real exercise except walking everywhere. Since then I have had to reassess my interpretation of "naturally thin" people with the knowledge I now have, and would agree that those we assume are naturally thin are naturally calorie restricting and/or exercising many of their calories away.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    People respond differently to overfeeding, I'm not sure why that's so hard to believe. Some gain very little fat, some gain a lot of fat and yet others gain muscle. People are different.
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have disagree with just about everyone that said that "its just because they dont eat as much". Genetics plays the BIGGEST part in it.

My mother-in-law is 49 yrs old (way past the point when her metabolism should have slowed down), does not exercise at all, and eats between 2000 and 2500 cals a day. She should be putting on weight, correct? In a 2 week time span she lost 2 lbs, going from 98 to 96 lbs. She is 5'0".

My husband is the same way. He is 5'9" and he has never been over 155lb, and the only reason he go up to that, was because he was in Marine Corps boot camp and he was a "Double Rat" meaning he got double rations everytime the ate. He is currently under 135lbs.

Our son, is only 2 and is in the less than 3 percentile, meaning he is smaller than 97% of all kids his age. We are currently struggling to put weight on him, and short of hidding fishing weights in his diaper, I dont know what else to do.

So, any suggestions or insight into how 3 generations could have such low weight and BMI and it NOT be genetic, I would love to hear them.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my son is thin. constantly trying to put on weight. he is ALWAYS eating. and basically sits around all day. I don't consider it naturally thin but he has a very high metabolism so his body burns the calories fast.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    People have always considered me naturally thin. In reality, I tend to eat around my TDEE, which balances things out and keeps me from gaining weight. However, if I eat more for an extended period, I definitely gain weight. When I go out with people, I tend to eat a lot more because the food is fresh, good, and I'm paying for it. So then people THINK that I have a super high metabolism.

There are some people with killer metabolisms. But for the most part, thin people are thin not because of genetics, but because it's natural to them to eat an appropriate amount of food to stay at that weight.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The people who are "naturally thin" are the ones that picked up good eating habits or eat less meals (consuming less calories overall). There really is no such thing as naturally thin as you can't be the law of thermodynamics. Now, genetics can determine BMR to a certain extend but it's not going to be much greater than few hundred points.

This is what I've come to learn. I do think genetics play a part in a person's build though, such as broad shoulders, wide hips, etc. For example, there's a reason why every thin person doesn't look like a Victoria's Secret model.

Yes, these two things.

"Naturally thin" just means having a smaller bone structure. I sometimes say that I am naturally thin and I just mean that I have a small bone structure which is why I am healthier at a lower weight than other people. But, body composition is from eating and exercise habits.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I have disagree with just about everyone that said that "its just because they dont eat as much". Genetics plays the BIGGEST part in it.

My mother-in-law is 49 yrs old (way past the point when her metabolism should have slowed down), does not exercise at all, and eats between 2000 and 2500 cals a day. She should be putting on weight, correct? In a 2 week time span she lost 2 lbs, going from 98 to 96 lbs. She is 5'0".

My husband is the same way. He is 5'9" and he has never been over 155lb, and the only reason he go up to that, was because he was in Marine Corps boot camp and he was a "Double Rat" meaning he got double rations everytime the ate. He is currently under 135lbs.

Our son, is only 2 and is in the less than 3 percentile, meaning he is smaller than 97% of all kids his age. We are currently struggling to put weight on him, and short of hidding fishing weights in his diaper, I dont know what else to do.

So, any suggestions or insight into how 3 generations could have such low weight and BMI and it NOT be genetic, I would love to hear them.

1) How do you know how many calories she eats?

2) She may eat a lot at certain times and days, but have long stretches when she does not snack or eat as much as you (and she) thinks.

3) Is she active in other non-exercise ways?

And she probably also does have a slightly higher BMR in addition to those other factors. Or other people have a lower BMR due to other long term lifestyle factors.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The people I know who are naturally thin are also very high energy folks. They don't sit down for very long and tend to be always doing something, whether it is around the house or running a marathon.

I've never met a healthy person who was very thin and sedentary and also ate a lot.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

2) She may eat a lot at certain times and days, but have long stretches when she does not snack or eat as much as you think.

And she probably also does have a slightly higher BMR in addition to those other factors. Or other people have a lower BMR due to other long term lifestyle factors.

^This. I know it's hard for people to accept that it's really lifestyle and eating habits. Once you accept that, then you have no underlying excuse to blame for your weight issues.

I felt the same way for many, many years. My step-mom and dad and step-siblings are all thin. None of them have ever struggled with their weight. It frustrated me to no end, because I seemed to gain so easily. It turns out, these are their reasons:

1. While they may have eaten a lot in front of me, they didn't eat much else. My step-mom doesn't eat lunch, so if she eats a big dinner it's no big deal. She's not consuming extra calories.

2. They never sit still. They are constantly working on their home, mowing their yard, cleaning, swimming in their pool, going for bike rides, taking walks, running errands, etc. And they have physical jobs. They get up at 5am and hit the door running and don't sit down till maybe 8pm for 30-45 minutes of tv time before bed.

Contrast that with my old habits of sitting on the couch a lot, eating a lot, and not spending much time on my house or doing exercise and it's easy to see why I was fat and they weren't.

When you have family members that don't have weight issues, it's easy to look at the times you do spend with them and get resentful of the *appearance* of things. But you need to remember that appearances are deceiving and you probably don't have the big picture.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    The people I know who are naturally thin are also very high energy folks. They don't sit down for very long and tend to be always doing something, whether it is around the house or running a marathon.

Yes, this is how I am. I can eat more than most people my size, but I'm a dancer, I lift weights, I walk instead of driving, I am very high energy and always active, moving around, don't sit still for long. And I don't eat more than my TDEE.
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options

2) She may eat a lot at certain times and days, but have long stretches when she does not snack or eat as much as you (and she) thinks.

1) I asked her one day (since she lives with us) and she said she didnt know for sure. So we added up a typical days worth for food for her and it was aroud 2200.

2) I cant say exactly what time of the day she eats, but being as she lives with us and eats out of my fridge and pantry, I can tell you she does not miss any meals.

3) Although she doesnt sit at a computer all day like some, she works in logisitcs preping shipments with styrefoam. That is the extent for her daily exercise. While at home, she sits and watches tv. Oh, and smokes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To think that a person's weight has nothing to do with genetics is ridiculous in my opinion.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my son is thin. constantly trying to put on weight. he is ALWAYS eating. and basically sits around all day. I don't consider it naturally thin but he has a very high metabolism so his body burns the calories fast.

I am always telling him someday his metabolism will slow down and with all he eats he is going to gain weight...lol
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had a former co worker who had to eat almost constantly throughout the day, she would also drink ensures. If she didn't she would lose weight, and the girl was maybe 5'1 and 100 lbs to begin with.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    While not untrue, one still has to consume more than they burn to gain weight. I've never met/known/heard of a thin person that trumps the law of thermodynamics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I just had this same argument with a relatively newly certified trainer... he insisted there are "naturally thin" people. We argued and argued...