3 questions for Ladies who Lift...

Options
I need a goal to shoot for..so please tell me the following: 1) how much weight do you curl? 2) how much do you flye? 3) How long have you been lifting?

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1) what type of curl? typically DD are 20-30 lbs, BB 30-40lbs
    2) dd fly, 20lb. Fly machine, 40-45lb
    3) since Feb
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    any type will give me info. Thanks :) This is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Don't do either exersizes.
    Have been doing compound lifts since June.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I lift as much as I can handle..

Right now? dumbbells 22.5 lbs heavy for me..I use the 40 or 50 lb barbell for curls and deadlift and squats..
    I don't fly.. i do 15s on the chest presses though.
    Lifting for a year.. seriously lifting for a few months. -

Really it depends on you and your goals and what out want out of it. - knowing what we do is great so you can feel like you're in with the crowd i guess.. but really you just need to do what helps you reach your goals. I want to be able to jump, run faster and do a pull-up unassisted. So my exercises are tailored to that.

You should be asking yourself what are your goals and then figure out how to reach them.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    1) 10 pound dumbbells in each hand, or 15 pounds preacher curls.
    2) 15 pound dumbbell flies
    3) Lifting off and on since 2010. All my PRs are from a deployment I had that year.

ETA: I put much more value in the compound lifts, like someone else stated. That's where you get your full body workout.
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I will check out more compound moves. I am trying to make realistic goals and am getting a frame of reference. It is great info to put things in perspective.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    ETA: I put much more value in the compound lifts, like someone else stated. That's where you get your full body workout.

While this may be true, the way you lift depends on your goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I will check out more compound moves. I am trying to make realistic goals and am getting a frame of reference. It is great info to put things in perspective.

I can curl 75 lbs on a bar... I can only flat fly 15 lb DB's.

What I can curl and what you can curl are completely irrelevant.
    Heavy is a rep range- not a specific weight.

> What your goal should be is to learn how to compound lift
    > Lift more this week than you did last week

so do some research- get a program- and make progress.

Now- go forth and be fabulous.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't do curls or flies. All of the below are on machines - no free weights where I go.

Lat pull-down, 145 lbs.
    Military press, 80 lbs.
    Overhead press (just started this one), 45 lbs.
    Leg press, 280 lbs.
    Ab curls, 70 lbs. <-- totally useless, but it's on the circuit

I do a few more that I can't remember off-hand.

Been lifting ~2yrs, once a week. Yeah, I know. Once a week means progress is slow, but it DOES get made. I'm planning to switch to more frequent free weights, now that I want to step up my game. I just have to change gyms.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

You're developing a catchphrase... lol

OP, Check out the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". Great book about the fundamentals, and it should get you started. If the routine at the very end of the book is too complicated for you (or if you just want something more basic/simple), consider looking at Stronglifts 5x5 (free, online, videos for form).
  • JoRocka
    Options

OP, Check out the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". Great book about the fundamentals, and it should get you started. If the routine at the very end of the book is too complicated for you (or if you just want something more basic/simple), consider looking at Stronglifts 5x5 (free, online, videos for form).

can't a believe it's taking that long for someone to notice.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    You should start with what YOU can lift with good form. If your goal is strength, what you can lift for 4-8 reps. If your goal is hypertrophy, what you can lift for 8-12 reps. Then lift more next time - more weight if you can, more reps if you can't.

I don't do accessory lifts very often. The heaviest dumbbells I have are 10#, so that's what I fly and French press. I was up to 55 or 60# on the fly machine and 35# on the triceps extension machine at the gym. Preacher curl 40-45#.

On the compound lifts - Bench up to but not including 60# - bench is my nemesis. OHP 36#. Squat 88# and deadlift 135#. My body weight is between 126 and 130. I still consider myself a novice on free weights and I've advanced pretty slowly with a reboot along the way.

ETA to the last question: Free weights, a few months. Gym machines, 4-6 months before that, and I think I dabbled on the machines for a few months before settling into a program. First time I squatted or deadlifted, it was just the 45# bar. First OHP was with a 15# bar - and it took me a while before I could bench the 45# bar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't curl or fly....

I'd suggest looking into Stronglifts 5x5.

I can bench 115, squat 135, OHP 75, Pendlay row 85, deadlift 200.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Lol, do you use that in your gym?
  • JoRocka
    Options

Lol, do you use that in your gym?

yes yes I do actually. LOL

Fabulous is a word I use quiet a bit- I might as well fart glitter I say it so often.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If your goal is strength, you can't go wrong with New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5. I only do compound lifts, following StrongLIfts, which I started at the end of October. My current numbers are:

Squats 80#
    Bench 60#
    Rows #65
    OHP #45
    Deadlifts 115#
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I don't curl or fly....

I'd suggest looking into Stronglifts 5x5.

I can bench 115, squat 135, OHP 75, Pendlay row 85, deadlift 200.

At the end of the day, those are the lifts people care about. I actually don't remember how much I curl. 3x12 @ 60? Some days lighter. But I'm not a woman, just some perspective on what's important when determining strength.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    LOL at everyone who doesn't curl or fly. Remember people, accessory work is also good for you. I like to hit my compounds first and then finish out the fatigue with accessory/iso work. My strength has increased quite well in my compound lifts with a combination of both.

Curl - 30-35lb dumbbells, 45-60lb barbells
    Fly - 25-35lb dumbbells
    Lifting - Consistently since 9/2011
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'll curl an olympic bar for 20 set reps when I feel like curling, and do 30# cable flies if I need a change of pace. I typically stick with the compound movements, not a lot of isolations here. That'll change once I get rolling with my new program, as it calls for a more bodybuilder approach to assistance, on top of the big compound lifts.

I've been lifting since 2008, really got serious about it in June 2012.
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    Curling: Barbell 70lbs, Dumbell 25lb, Preacher 15lbs dumbbell, Spider 20lbs barbell
    I don't fly because I have shoulder issues but when I tried I was using 20lbs dumbbell
    I have been lifting for 7 months