Has losing weight changed you?

Options
13»

Replies

• silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes and no, I'm still the same me as I always was, I just acknowledge people more. I don't look down or away from people, and I don't use my weight as a crutch.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. I was a b____ before too. :laugh:
    Love it. :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My straightforward manner is still the same.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I can answer this. I've been as high as 350 lbs and as little as 140 lbs. I'm the same person.

What's changed is how people treat me.

At 350 lbs, I was invisible. Which was preferrable to being made fun of openly but total strangers. One guy yelled acorss at a Denny's to me that I was Goodyear blimp. Will never forget that.

At 140 lbs, I was getting more attention from men. It was flattering but unnerved me, because it validated how shallow people can be. And yet I started to crave that attention to validate ME. Oh, the irony.

At 350 lbs., I worried about going ANYWHERE. Why? Didn't know if I would fit in the: movie seat, amusement park ride, airplane seat. This was before seat belt extenders were really available. I once had a cross-country flight where I couldn't buckle my seat belt and kept a jacket on my lap to cover it up so I wouldn't be called on it or hassled b the flight attendants. I used to book window seats so that I would only have to worry about hanging over on one side of the seat.

At 140 lbs, I didn't think twice about going or doing anything. Chairs were no problem. It was about living my life, not worrying about wedging myself into a chair.

At 350 lbs, I was suicidal. My fertility was threatened. I felt my career path was bleak because of such outrageous and obvious bias.

At 140 lbs, I got promoted three times in 5 years.

At 350 lbs, I berated myself all day long for allowing things to get to that point. I avoided mirrors. Photos. I missed out on life.

At 140 lbs., I didn't care who had a camera. I looked forward to shopping for clothes. I was always surprised when I could look for clothes that I LIKED versus what would fit me.

Throughout all of it, I never changed at all. The world changed how they treated me. And it sucked to realize that. I also realized I spent so much of my life missing, well, life. I always wondered about the things I could have done, the people I could have met, the achievements that I might have had. The trajectory of my life might be very different.

But I will tell you one thing.

Being fat and obese for most of my young adult life DID help. It made me more empathetic. It made me give a crap about others, because I certainly didn't care about myself. It made me work harder in my career. It made me develop an awesome personality and wicked sense of humor (okay, as a form of self-defense but also to charm people before they had the chance to realize that I could topple over and crush them at any given moment).

Now, at age 41, I see that I will never change. And people don't really change, actually. But the world will judge, and that is just a fact. This time around, I'm trying to lose 25 pounds to be healthy and to live what I have left of my life in as healthfully of a way as I can. I have two awesome kids depending on me, and that's what counts most of all.

I just want to give you a hug. Some of my favorite people are bigger than 300 lbs, and it in no way affects how I feel about them. I also know what it is to feel trapped and betrayed by your own body.

I love this one!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same except now I look at everyone's butts to determine if they squat.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the same person. Same attitude, still insistent on wearing clothes that are too big, and I still get discouraged with my body at times. The only thing that has changed is the number on the scale.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am better at faking confidence and sometimes even think I'm pretty attractive (rarely, but it happens)
    I lift heavy things and I run (things that never would have happened if I didn't gain weight to begin with)
    I actually wear more colors than I used to
    A few other things too but it's past my bedtime.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Only that I no longer spend hours obsessing over fining the right outfit to make make look good. I look good in everything.

There was a time that you DIDN'T look good in everything?! Lies.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I am the same person

I do care less about my appearance though , I care less about acceptance and validation on my appearance from others

I just care less about other people and there opinions
  • Matt24442
    Options
    Implications such as ... ?

mostly if youre a douche who thinks they are better than everyone because they found the discipline to alter their destructive lifestyle.
  • hbk991
    hbk991 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes a little bit, I'm no afraid of photos, not afraid to use other colors, not only black,
    About personality, i think im the same. maybe a little bit more flirty :D
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Only difference so far for me is I am shy. I still have self esteem issues as my mind hasn't caught up with the weight I have lost and the slightly smaller me :)
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I take better care of myself, which in turn makes me feel sexier. And I wear my cute clothes again. :bigsmile:
  • dkalita
    dkalita Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have regained some confidence. Before i used to hate meeting up with friends and family, as I knew the first comments wuld be about my weight (or worse, they would ask if I am pregnant). Now I look forward to going on outing with friends.Also I do not hide behind others in pictures anymore. :smokin:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My personality is basically the same, but I find that I have more energy, both physical and mental.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i was light before--- i became obese so it disturbed me mentally ---now i am relaxed again
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    nothing at all like who i used to be.

not just physically, but my personality is a completely different person.

i didnt even keep the same friends.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    mostly if youre a douche who thinks they are better than everyone because they found the discipline to alter their destructive lifestyle.
    :heart: for this!

and this +1!
    In more ways than one....I know realize my value and no one will ever mistreat me again.
    And, I'm always cold... and spend too long on MFP now.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    These are interesting comments. Pretty much everybody is (self) reporting they're a "better" person after the weight loss.

That has....implications.

I don't think people are necessarily saying they are "better" as much as happier and healthier. I'm definitely not a "better" person. I'm the same me, with the same faults. Being happy/healthy is not the same as being "better". Would you say that someone with no health problems is a "better" person than someone with cancer? Obviously not. So someone who weighs 140 lbs is not "better" than someone who weighs 350.

That they feel better, they like the way their bodies look, they are more confident, yes. But I really don't think anyone is saying they are a better person.
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    I haven't changed at heart, but I'm so much more confident with myself and it shines through to other people. My relationship has improved immensely because I'm not terrified to hell and back of my fiance seeing my cellulite or flabby belly. Before losing weight I was so lazy that walking down the road would make me wanna hide but now I'm an exercise addict and training to be a certified personal trainer! A lot has changed - in a good way!