Juice Fasting : Time & Cost Breakdown

Options
So you can handle the taste of fresh pressed (raw) juice, but the next hurdle is doing it on a regular basis to achieve those healthy benefits.

One of the biggest excuses of why people don't do raw juice or let their juicer collect dust is:  "No time or money."

Living in the Central Valley of California, we should be consuming The most fruits and veggies than anywhere in the world. We should be the fittest and healthiest people. Why, do you ask?! Because this is the epicenter of agriculture! We have such an abundance of crops and all of our produce is cheaper than other parts (sorry to other parts, but perhaps if you do research in your own area, you may find its not as costly as you think). Thus making juicing super affordable. I think that really anywhere in California, juicing could be affordable because we also have flea markets.

My family and I (4 people total) have been juice fasting for a week now and I decided to break it down for you guys. Ok so, wrap your mind around this:

Time it takes to shop for fresh fruits and veggies, chop them up,  and clean:4-5 hrs. 
Holy crap that is a lot of time, but think of it this way... This is to provide 4 gallons of juice which last 4 people 3 days. So.. That's about 1.25 hrs of work every 3 days...
 I dunno about all of you out there, but I spend that much time sometimes just making a nights dinner!

Okay so it's a lot of time up front, but it really saves you time in the end... Not to mention the dishes you are saving over those 3 days.

Ok,so what about costs? I read some blogs and some people spend about $30 for one batch of juice that lasts them one day. WTH? these juicers must be rich!

Anyway, we did the math on how much we spend on ours. note we are not picky and dont get all organic or anything, we just shop at a local grocery market (Costless) and try to get what is on sale. Of course there are some fruits/veggies you should avoid... But here is what we always have in our base:
About 60-70% Veggies: Cucumber, zucchini, tomato, carrots, broccoli, kale, spinach, celery, cilantro, and parsley
About 30-40% Fruit: Pineapple (a must), green apples, oranges (sometimes we add lime,lemon, and pears)

We found we spend less than $50 for each big batch. So that is 4 gallons of juice for 4 people for 3 days. $13 per person for 3 days = a little over$4.00 per day,  and 3 meals typically per day= $1.50ish per meal!!! That is insanity!

Even With the challenges/difficulties that I am having (cravings, light headed ness, etc) there is no way I could do this without support. I am greatly indebted and appreciative to my family for getting me on board. I want to and I WILL do this!  One week down, 3 more days to go!!!

*Inspired by the Joe Cross's Documentary: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    pgyl63n3.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    pgyl63n3.gif

I really expected this thread to go differently...
  • Aust1967
    Aust1967 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    pgyl63n3.gif

I really expected this thread to go differently...

Wait for it..........
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    So you can handle the taste of fresh pressed (raw) juice, but the next hurdle is doing it on a regular basis to achieve those healthy benefits.

Benefits? Compared to just including fruits and vegetables in your diet?
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    in
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This is great! If you don't like your muscles (no protein), don't like proper brain function OR want half of the benefits of those fruits and vegetables (about half of the vitamins are fat soluble: no fat=no absorption), don't like chewing, don't like social events, but DO want a really clean colon, and DO want to lose some water weight, and DON'T mind being right back where you started in a week when you go back to eating normally.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I haven't been juice fasting, but I have been making a juice for breakfast everyday for about a week now. I've also cut out caffiene during the workday. I expected to have headaches, but suprisingly I've had none. Now, I'm not sure if it's because of the juice or not, but I've definitely had more energy during the day and I've been sleeping better at night.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Oh Christ on a cracker, this thread will not end well. I'm just preparing you.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ANOTHER ONE?!?!

i cant handle it.

bye guize...

tumblr_mj92fyNhH41s62eh7o1_500.gif
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Family of 4.... so your children are fasting for an enitre month as well??!!!!!! :noway:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

One of the biggest excuses of why people don't do raw juice or let their juicer collect dust is:  "No time or money."

Living in the Central Valley of California, we should be consuming The most fruits and veggies than anywhere in the world. We should be the fittest and healthiest people. Why, do you ask?! Because this is the epicenter of agriculture! We have such an abundance of crops and all of our produce is cheaper than other parts (sorry to other parts, but perhaps if you do research in your own area, you may find its not as costly as you think). Thus making juicing super affordable. I think that really anywhere in California, juicing could be affordable because we also have flea markets.

My family and I (4 people total) have been juice fasting for a week now and I decided to break it down for you guys. Ok so, wrap your mind around this:

Time it takes to shop for fresh fruits and veggies, chop them up,  and clean:4-5 hrs. 
    Holy crap that is a lot of time, but think of it this way... This is to provide 4 gallons of juice which last 4 people 3 days. So.. That's about 1.25 hrs of work every 3 days...
     I dunno about all of you out there, but I spend that much time sometimes just making a nights dinner!

Okay so it's a lot of time up front, but it really saves you time in the end... Not to mention the dishes you are saving over those 3 days.

Ok,so what about costs? I read some blogs and some people spend about $30 for one batch of juice that lasts them one day. WTH? these juicers must be rich!

Anyway, we did the math on how much we spend on ours. note we are not picky and dont get all organic or anything, we just shop at a local grocery market (Costless) and try to get what is on sale. Of course there are some fruits/veggies you should avoid... But here is what we always have in our base:
    About 60-70% Veggies: Cucumber, zucchini, tomato, carrots, broccoli, kale, spinach, celery, cilantro, and parsley
    About 30-40% Fruit: Pineapple (a must), green apples, oranges (sometimes we add lime,lemon, and pears)

We found we spend less than $50 for each big batch. So that is 4 gallons of juice for 4 people for 3 days. $13 per person for 3 days = a little over$4.00 per day,  and 3 meals typically per day= $1.50ish per meal!!! That is insanity!

Even With the challenges/difficulties that I am having (cravings, light headed ness, etc) there is no way I could do this without support. I am greatly indebted and appreciative to my family for getting me on board. I want to and I WILL do this!  One week down, 3 more days to go!!! To see how much weight loss I have incurred and other benefits, Read more on my blog :)

*Inspired by the Joe Cross's Documentary: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead

Where do I sign up, I want these feelings too
    Even With the challenges/difficulties that I am having (cravings, light headed ness, etc)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4i8brl8wB1qg3muyo1_500.gif 
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    ANOTHER ONE?!?!

i cant handle it.

bye guize...

tumblr_mj92fyNhH41s62eh7o1_500.gif

No Will! Take me with you!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    When understanding cost, you need to consider the benefits/outcome too.

There are no benefits.

So....

Joe Cross sells juicers. I hope you do too. You also seem to have the tems 'documentary' and 'advert' confused.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is fun, but it shouldn't be your whole diet.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink your juice while in a sauna...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I personally don't juice. I prefer whole fruits and vegetables and find that FOR ME eating them whole keeps me satisfied longer and helps me resist the urge to over indulge. Eating my foods half digested, from juicing, leads to me feeling hungry very quickly after a meal.

YMMV of course.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Why do this to your children? :noway:
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    tumblr_m4i8brl8wB1qg3muyo1_500.gif