When do you "officially" record your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days and log it in an Apple app called "True Weight". It allows for one weight entry per day and reports your actual weight, having evened out fluctuations. Now that I am officially maintaining I will reduce the amount I weigh, but I think so long as you aren't fretting about day to day changes in weight it doesn't matter how often you do it.

That's pretty cool! I like that.
  • beishbaumer
    Options
    I have come to realize there is no "official" weight because it can vary throughout the day depending upon so many factors including the weight of my clothes and water retention. I weigh and officially record in MFP daily first thing in the morning. If I have several days (or weeks when I hit plateaus) where I am at that weight, then I consider this loss "official" if people ask what I lost.

I decided to weigh daily, not once a week, because I would have found it discouraging if on that weekly weigh in, I happened to weigh the same or more even though my weight during that week was usually lower. Weighing yourself more during the day could be demoralizing unless it helps you realize how varied your weight can be at any given time.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see my new low :)

Ha, yes this, and then I don't record again til I hit a new low. I don't care enough about the weight I go up and down in a week or a day. I really only care monthly. In the past when I was more focused on weight loss as a goal (as opposed to body fat % drop now) I have done Excel spreadsheets in the past and I know that I would swing wildly from day to day in terms of weight gain or loss but over a month, I could build a good trend line to see what was really going on.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on YOU.

For me personally, the minute I hit a new low weight, I record it. Because I know my body. I've been doing the weight loss thing (long story short, ED) for years, and I know that if I hit something new, my body will stick to that within a 2-5 pound fluctuation for natural things. It might also be due to the fact that it's a new motivator to keep myself there.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    I "record" my weight loss when I feel good about the loss. In other words, whenever I feel like it.

I weigh once a day in the morning before food and drink etc. More than that is compulsive behavior for me, which I like to avoid best I can.
  • Jaejoongies
    Jaejoongies Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily but that was way too demoralizing. I then stopped for a while because I was maintaining. As I decided to lose some more weight, I now weigh myself first thing in the morning every Sunday and log it onto MFP whether I'm gaining or losing. Sundays are either the best or the worst part of my weeks now ;_;
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You no more have a "real" weight independent of water fluctuation than the day has a "real" temperature independent of sun, wind, air movements, etc. In most cases, the day starts out colder, warms up to a maximum in the middle of the afternoon, and then cools off until some point in the middle of the night. We can take the average temperature if we wish. None of that prevents us from seeing trends as winter moves to summer and then back to winter.

Similarly, our body weight tends to go up during the day, and decline overnight, though there are exceptions. As long as the trend is the direction you want, don't sweat the short-term fluctuations. I weigh myself every morning and take an exponentially smoothed weighted average to identify the trend beneath the day-to-day fluctuations.
  • awak3ned
    Options
    Every Sunday in the AM after "relieving" myself I get on the scale naked and record that weight. I sometimes weigh myself before my official weigh in day but never record that weight only the one on Sunday.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You no more have a "real" weight independent of water fluctuation than the day has a "real" temperature independent of sun, wind, air movements, etc. In most cases, the day starts out colder, warms up to a maximum in the middle of the afternoon, and then cools off until some point in the middle of the night. We can take the average temperature if we wish. None of that prevents us from seeing trends as winter moves to summer and then back to winter.

Similarly, our body weight tends to go up during the day, and decline overnight, though there are exceptions. As long as the trend is the direction you want, don't sweat the short-term fluctuations. I weigh myself every morning and take an exponentially smoothed weighted average to identify the trend beneath the day-to-day fluctuations.

I love this explanation - great, easy-to-understand comparison! :-)
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    When you weigh yourself is debatable. However because of those natural fluctuations, to officially state weight loss or gain see how consistent it is over a week if there is change.
  • UsernameIsTaken74
    Options
    I do once a week on a sunday - it's a group indication if i've gone up or down since last weigh in. If you weigh yourself every day it just becomes a morale rollercoaster.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Oh my word. Is this a serious question?
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing Sunday morning when I get up, naked and after relieving myself. This is the weight I record whether it is up or down. Sometimes I am disappointed in the scale reading, but it is what it is???? I think I may try weighing myself un officially Friday morning and then again Sunday just to keep myself motivated to stay on my plan through the weekend which is always the toughest.
  • lynnbatson
    Options
    Lot of different people have different thoughts about weighing themselves. How often per day, what time, clothes on vs clothes off. I'll share my two cents worth and let you take it from there.

It's always best to weigh yourself the same way.. what I mean by that is if you start tracking your weight with clothes and shoes on, then weigh yourself with clothes and shoes on. If you weigh yourself with clothes off, then try to always weigh yourself with clothes off. this gives the readings a little bit of consistency, and then your numbers aren't jumping around as much.

The best way is without clothes, because then your just getting the weight of YOU and not added clothing that can add, maybe not much, but enough to make a difference.

The general rule is to weigh yourself about once a week if you can. This being because our body fluctuates water up and down so much in our system that you can weigh yourself in the morning and have one reading, check it again later in the afternoon and have a higher reading. This helps lower the frustration factor a little.

And of course, after all is said and done, you can stick to your plan and do what you are comfortable with. If you like weighing yourself more frequently then just remember that your body fluctuates here and there throughout the day so don't beat yourself up if you check it one minute and then the next it's a little higher.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Every 7 days with the scales
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I "record" my weight loss when I feel good about the loss. In other words, whenever I feel like it.

I like that answer.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I dunno if I already replied to this, but :bigsmile: oh well.

I don't own a scale, so since I visit my physician every 3 months, I go by what his scale says. SOMETIMES I will weigh myself at my momma's house (about 1 every 6 weeks) to make sure I'm staying on track, but I don't really use it as an 'official' weight.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself each morning but only log my weekly average weight from that week.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and kept a spreadsheet record.

My MPF progress however, I only login when the weight has decrease and stablized for a week within my acceptable range.
    Well, this December I had quite a few "out of control" days. Despite regular workouts, my weight still remains the same since end Novemeber and flauate too wildly for me to capture.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I record my weight every Monday morning, without clothing & after using the bathroom.

I usually look most days to see if it's going well or not but I only record once a week.