weightwatchers opinions please

Options

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    God knows I am not gonna pay someone to weigh me and tell me to eat less...its all common sense and whereas support is good, I find MFP support and it is free!
  • kspexet
    kspexet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have used Weight Watcher three times to lose weight and was able to successfully lose, but I gained it all back.. I think the program is okay. The issue I have with it is that it doesn't address the problems I have with food. I am an emotional eater and I don't think Weight Watchers does enough to address these types of issues.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was on ww and had lost 25 lbs. when they changed over to Points Plus. I immediately started to gain. The only way I could lose was to follow Adkins and count the points. That's like seeing how long you can hold your breath to me - not a good long term solution. My leader told me to double count ww points plus with MFP. The carbs were way higher than they should have been while still within my points allowance. I dropped ww and stayed with MFP. You either have to be a serial ww member or just learn what you need to do for yourself.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    God knows I am not gonna pay someone to weigh me and tell me to eat less...its all common sense and whereas support is good, I find MFP support and it is free!
    The diet industry is huge because people want help. It does seem like it'd be common sense. But look at the posts that flow into here constantly-

Can I lose weight without exercise?
    Can I eat 1200 or do I have to eat above my BMR?
    Am I in starvation mode from eating 1400 for 6 days?
    I can't have burned any calories like my Fitbit says. I've been sitting on the couch.
    Is my metabolism shot?
    Do I need to eat more to lose weight?
    Do I need to limit salt?
    Do I need to drink more water?
    Are my macros ok? What are macros?
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I used WW online about 10 years ago and lost weight well with the system. I agree with previous posters - they are kind of tricking us into counting calories and exercising with the points system, and by making healthy choices most of the time with my points it worked.

That was long before smartphones and their associated apps. I returned to WW recently, after the birth of my second child, and was excited to be able to use my Android device to track, instead of having to track on my computer. That didn't last long, because their mobile app is TRULY AWFUL! I had read a bunch of negative reviews of the app, but figured that WW is a well established program and their app couldn't really be that bad.... but it sure was. Miserably inefficient to use, crashed all the time, etc. Maybe it runs better on iPhone - I use Android - who knows. But it was so bad I couldn't believe it!

Then a colleague told me about MFP. So much better!!!! And free!!!! I will never go back to WW again. I know that MFP does not offer the same group meetings, but the user interface is just way better. I even like the recipe builder better on MFP. The whole app just works better!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    WW is $42 a month. MFP is free!!

I rest my case!!!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I used WW online about 10 years ago and lost weight well with the system. I agree with previous posters - they are kind of tricking us into counting calories and exercising with the points system, and by making healthy choices most of the time with my points it worked.

That was long before smartphones and their associated apps. I returned to WW recently, after the birth of my second child, and was excited to be able to use my Android device to track, instead of having to track on my computer. That didn't last long, because their mobile app is TRULY AWFUL! I had read a bunch of negative reviews of the app, but figured that WW is a well established program and their app couldn't really be that bad.... but it sure was. Miserably inefficient to use, crashed all the time, etc. Maybe it runs better on iPhone - I use Android - who knows. But it was so bad I couldn't believe it!

Then a colleague told me about MFP. So much better!!!! And free!!!! I will never go back to WW again. I know that MFP does not offer the same group meetings, but the user interface is just way better. I even like the recipe builder better on MFP. The whole app just works better!

I find the site can be kind of a hassle to use sometimes, though I like the recipe builder feature. I have almost no issues with the app--I have an Iphone. It's maybe only crashed on my a couple times in the four months I've been using it. It definitely could be improved though.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Oh yeah, their apps and site are awful. I should've listed that one! Weightwatchers.com does $500M/year in revenue and their site has always been bad.
  • JHorn1329
    Options
    I love ww! Most of all it helps me with portion control. I think of the pp as money . I have $29 (pp)/day so if I have this or that is it really worth it? It is not a quick fix and you arent going to lose 50lbs in 3 month or anything. It is just like anything else, you get out of it what you put in to it. It is by far the easiest plan I have ever followed. It all depends on your attitude and how much you are willing to put in to it. I cant afford the meetings anymore but there are a couple of websites that you can use to calculate you pp, how many daily points you are allowed, fitness points tracker, restaurant points, etc. I do think its common sense that just like with any plan you have to have a fitness plan and accountability to make it work. If you eat 2 1/2 hershey bars to get your points then of course you wont get the same results as the person who is using the program to acquire a healthier way of living.
  • bjbrown9
    bjbrown9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bjbrown- Why not just do Core again yourself? Or if you want to do the new plan without paying them, I have a spreadsheet that works as a points calculator. You don't need to know their exact rules and foods lists, just make your own rules for the stuff outside of the basics. I think I have a booklet around here of the specifics of the latest plan, though I picked it up when the latest plan was new, about 3 years ago. You don't have to use Etools. Or at least here in AZ you don't.

I wanted to follow the new plan primarily to get online support, recipe ideas that work with the plan, etc. It's harder to do that following an older plan that nobody else follows anymore.

I just bought the volumetrics book - the concept that the original core plan was based on. It actually looks more flexible - non-core foods can be used in recipes and as long as it doesn't bring up the caloric density of the recipe as a whole, it doesn't have to closely tracked/monitored.

I'm thinking if the recipe builder here can calculate caloric density for a recipe, I'd like to try following that plan. I'm going to check it out.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Oh good idea! I read Volumetrics but as a library book, ions ago. I'll need to check it out again myself. I've always wanted to try Core again but you're right-- it's not the same on your own 100%. That was the only diet where I weighed myself multiple times a day because the weight was coming off so fast, it was actually motivating to watch it.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW, but I worked with a group of ladies that did. They spent their entire day talking endlessly about points, and more times than not, it was how many oreos, chocolates, brownies, desserts, etc, they could eat before they would decide they would have to skip dinner entirely. The most insufferable group I've ever had to spend time around. None of them kept any weight off in the 7+ yearsi was around, but then, who can?
  • redversustheblue
    Options
    I've never done WW, but I worked with a group of ladies that did. They spent their entire day talking endlessly about points, and more times than not, it was how many oreos, chocolates, brownies, desserts, etc, they could eat before they would decide they would have to skip dinner entirely. The most insufferable group I've ever had to spend time around. None of them kept any weight off in the 7+ yearsi was around, but then, who can?

I really don't understand this argument against Weight Watchers (or similair programs). Those ladies would probably be exactly the same if they were just counting calories. It's not the fault of the program that they want to spend all their points on junk food, it's the fault of the person.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the "new" WW point system......was not loosing weight. Found MFP.....have lost 21# since April. End of story. :wink:
    The proof is in the numbers!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I know someone doing ww. He has lost weight but eats like ****. Burgers fries soda, just fast food. He justifies it by the pint system.

That's fine but it doesn't seem to be teaching him better eating habits and he started way before me. I began this journey like 3 months ago and lost 23 lbs so far; him like 12. I mean this guy eats mainly fast food. It's crazy to me or maybe I'm jealous.. Lol... Idk, but we all have different goals so more power to everyone.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just want to add that WW pedometer that you are referring to is called ActiveLink. It's essentially tracks your steps and exercise points. It's similar to a Fitbit only it doesn't have a display so you have to sync it in order to see your stats. It also costs $5 a month extra for the service. A Fitbit doesn't have a monthly fee. You pay for it upfront.

So....IMHO I would use a Fitbit with MFP. You'll save some money. Then again, everyone is different, and WW is great for some.
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30# on weightwatchers, but then I got a point where I wanted to add definition and sculpt my body, and ww just wasn't working for me anymore. A huge part of the failure of ww in this respect is that we doesn't allow you to keep track our your protein intake, so when I'm trying to build muscle, I really wasn't eating enough protein while on ww because I could track how much protein I was eating. Switching to MFP made a huge difference for me.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I really don't understand this argument against Weight Watchers (or similair programs). Those ladies would probably be exactly the same if they were just counting calories. It's not the fault of the program that they want to spend all their points on junk food, it's the fault of the person.

Agreed. But a main selling point is the support group. That is not an example of good support.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I LOVED the old WW program... I lost 75 lbs on it

But the new program is terrible. Everyone I know ( myself included) had no success at weight loss and most gained. MFP IS SO MUCH BETTER

If you go to boards for your state in the forum you can make your own support system locally and over time possibly meet up in person :-)

Good luck.
  • redversustheblue
    Options

Agreed. But a main selling point is the support group. That is not an example of good support.

Yeah, but the weight watchers leaders aren't standing up there and telling those ladies to spend their points eating oreos and brownies and skipping dinner is fine. You really get what you put into it, and if those ladies are determined to eat their oreos by the bag and use their points on them, they're going to find an excuse to do it.

I do agree that this can be a problem with the program though. You have to be willing to want to learn because the meetings do teach little lessons on healthy eating. But I think some people might go to the meetings and not really learn anything because they think just being there is going to make them magically lose weight.