Slowly morphing into FB? with "like" option?

Options

Replies

• RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Isn't this place already part plentyoffish with all of the 'sexy selfies' anyway?

haha nice...

Not sure if I will like it....I like the personal touch of comments :tongue:
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Oh... just noticed we have it... and ive just used it twice :) I like the like !!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's infinitely better than than the usual procession of 'good job' and 'WTG' comments in my opinion. I'm sure I'll continue to have proper conversations with those on my friends list I share a connection with.

The question then becomes, why are there people on your FL who you don't share a connection with?

If they are not worth a simple comment, are they worth FLing?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    People have been asking for a "like" button as long as I've been here...but for forum posts, not just status updates.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    MFP just jumped the shark
    yes!
  • healthyserenity
    healthyserenity Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Where is this like button? Not a huge fan of the concept, definitely not a fan of FB, but wondering why I don't see one... and, actually, impressed that mfp took requests for it seriously enough to add the feature. But where is it??
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Where is this like button? Not a huge fan of the concept, definitely not a fan of FB, but wondering why I don't see one... and, actually, impressed that mfp took requests for it seriously enough to add the feature. But where is it??

In your news feed.
  • Nikki_WantsIt
    Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I ****ing hate it....
  • latepaul
    latepaul Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's infinitely better than than the usual procession of 'good job' and 'WTG' comments in my opinion. I'm sure I'll continue to have proper conversations with those on my friends list I share a connection with.

The question then becomes, why are there people on your FL who you don't share a connection with?

If they are not worth a simple comment, are they worth FLing?

Status update =/= Friend

A person can be worth FL-ing without their every status being worth a comment. Now if I *never* commented you might have a point.

Also just like IRL there are levels of friendship and levels of interaction. In pre social network days we all had people who were on our Christmas card list who we rarely interacted with the rest of the time. Or the person you say hello to every day (the postman, the guy in the office you know but don't work with) but never interact with more deeply. Like is a bit like that. Except that as I say - it's about which *updates* are worth a comment versus a like not which people.

But really - if you don't like like, don't use it. They haven't taken away comments.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My comments are usually the same for everyone for that day, so now instead of copy and paste every where I can just hit like.... However I would rather have happy face, sad face, angry face, and starvation face emoticon buttons instead of a "like" button..
  • healthyserenity
    healthyserenity Posts: 9 Member
    Options

In your news feed.

Oh... thx!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NO, LOL people have just begged for the like button and I for one "LIKE" it. I have facebook I don't need another one.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My comments are usually the same for everyone for that day, so now instead of copy and paste every where I can just hit like.... However I would rather have happy face, sad face, angry face, and starvation face emoticon buttons instead of a "like" button..

I love this idea. But I love that MFP brought in "like." Sometimes I don't look at my newsfeed because I know I don't have the time to comment, but I want to show support. I agree with the person who said it feels fake to write some version of a compliment over and over. When I used Fitocracy, I really liked the Fist Bump option, so I'm guessing I'll like it here. Thanks MFP!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, I didn't lose 36 almost 37 pounds on FB! LOL. Sometimes 'like' is sufficient. "Drank 8 glasses of water" click like. Walked 5 miles WOOOOOT!!!

:laugh:

I see you are a Mod. Fact is that the more you make MFP similar to FB, the less desirable it gets. You guys have to understand that many of us on MFP think very lowly of FB, and if you;re gonna go down the road of making MFP look like FB, its a tragedy of massive proportions.

A touch of an exaggeration there, don't you think? You don't like the like button, don't click it. Problem solved.

Reality is that it will be just like all the changes Facebook makes. People will scream and moan about them for a few days or weeks, then just get right back to using the service, and slowly adopt the thing they were complaining about in the first.

Change happens.
    This

Dammed if they do dammed if they don't
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I love it. Sometimes I think something is funny or cute, but I don't necessarily have anything to say about it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    if anything, people say 'Nice!' all the time, so what we needed was a 'Nice!' button!
    I would have voted for a WOOT button :laugh:

W00T not "WOOT".
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Wow, repeatedly copying-and-pasting the same comments across the whole of your FL... They must feel really treasured?!

Basically, if you can't spare two seconds to craft something meaningful (or at the very least, heartfelt) then don't comment. You aren't duty-bound to comment on every single update. It IS nice when a comment chimes with the content of the update though - it can lead to discussions and sharing of meaningful information and human interaction. Sounds almost old-fashioned as I type it out....

In the end, if there isn't sufficient impetus to write a sentence, in what regard are you really giving support?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Do people really hate FB? Or is it the typical FB user? What is it about FB that people hate?
    i did not realize so many people disliked FB. I like FB. It serves a different purpose than MFP
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Great idea. There are only so many variations of "excellent", "well done" and "good burn" comments I can make before I feel like I'm being fake. I end up only commenting on weight-loss and really significant updates because I don't really feel I have a genuine comment for the other stuff. Like is a great way to show support.

^this. I feel ridiculous saying "wtg" "lol" and "awesome" over and over. It's actually a smart move to attract more users, although I know many current members will find that unappealing.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Do people really hate FB? Or is it the typical FB user? What is it about FB that people hate?
    i did not realize so many people disliked FB. I like FB. It serves a different purpose than MFP

This has not/will not turned into Facebook. I love Facebook and MFP, two totally different places. Plus I can't advertise my business here and take PayPal payments...LOL so I definitely like Facebook.