When do I get to buy new clothes?

Options
For those that have lost weight already, at what point did you drop pant sizes? I know it's not cut and dry, and muscle and fat can change you body shape ect ect ect. Point is, I've lost 19 lbs so far, and I'm not noticing a big difference in my pants. Yes, they fit slightly better, but I'm so looking forward to buying the next size down. (or 2!)

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I really don't recall, but I definitely didn't go down checking off one size at a time. I am pretty sure I skipped a few sizes along the way. Good luck.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    thats hard to say. I lost 80 lbs over 11 months and because I didnt have any money had to wear dresses mostly and just suffer in baggier clothing. I did notice a big size drop about 6 months in and I just went clothes shopping (FINALLY!) about a month ago. So..Id say give it time. You will definitely know when you have no choice but to buy smaller :)
  • hereisgone125
    hereisgone125 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Of course it all depends, but I had to buy new pants at 30lbs, after that I don't remember at what weights I had to drop sizes. Most of my shirts are still OK.
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I am at a weird stage right now, I have lost a little over 25 pounds, and everything is to big... but I feel like it will be awkward to walk into the store and grab a size 4, 6, 8, and 10 in the same pants to see what the heck fits!
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    after i lost about 16 pounds, the pants i was wearing (which were loose to begin with), became impossible to wear, even with a belt.
    So, needless to say, i went through my old clothes and found smaller sizes.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't be like me. When I dropped my first size I stupidly went out and bought a new wardrobe. Then I dropped another size and then another. I had to give away clothes with their tags still on. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. Probably a little celebrating and a little bit of doubt in myself.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy a new pair of jeans until my pants were literally sliding down my hips. Luckily, I haven't had to buy another pair of new jeans - I can wear the ones I put away several years ago, for "when I lose wieght".
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Honestly..I couldn't tell you. I weigh about four pounds different from when I was wearing size 22's but I can wear 18's only a couple months later...Loving muscle gains and fat losses I guess...Funny thing is I weighed 200 lbs. pre-pregnancy and wore size 18's. After pregnancy..I got back down to 200 lbs. and couldn't fit size 18. I'm wearing size 18 now and I weigh about 265.
  • tonimaxine
    Options
    I weigh 187 now and I wear a size 16-18.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Its a good idea, unless you're made of money, to stick with an absolutely minimal wardrobe until your sizes stop dropping. Only buying things as needed when clothes become unwearably big.

Eventually sizes will stop dropping (or seriously slow) and things will start to last a long time.

There is no sense in buying a bunch of stuff you aren't going to wear more than a few months.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    it seems to me I change sizes every 10-15 pounds. I disagree about buy clothes while dropping. Maybe don't buy a whole wardrobe but a couple of piece help you to see a difference. That in turn encourages me to keep going. If money is tight, try second hand shops.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on the clothes. slacks are a little less forgiving when they start to get too big especially depending on the style . skinny styles need to be correct size or else they look ridiculous. dresses and skirts are better.

i started off as a size 20/22 and didnt buy new jeans until i reached size 14. i also bought a few new dresses. i dont plan on buying new stuff until i reach size 10 and i'll save my all out wardrobe rehaul when i reach my size 6 goal
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love the thrift shop. I have jeans in the next two sizes down and I didn't pay much for them. I find every 15 pounds or so I tend to go down a size.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how I dress at work -- most of the guys wear jeans -- so I really only worry about whether they get uncomfortable. My pants were pretty much falling off before I went to the Thrift Store and picked up 2 smaller pairs. But I am on my third belt. This one is a stretchy mesh that doesn't have any set belt holes, so it will continue to fit perfectly even as I continue to lose inches around my waist.

Make sure you go to the thrift store. There is no point in paying for a new wardrobe, and then needing another new wardrobe in a couple of months. Just pick up what you need, and when you lose some weight, you can donate it back to the thrift store and pick up a couple more items.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    forgot to post, the one thing that i did find unexpected was the change in shoe size. i went from a size 10 to a size 9, not a huge difference but enough to make buying new shoes necessary.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It took me about 30 pounds to lose my first pants size, and I lost a good chunk of my weight from my bottom half. I still had an old pair from when I was slightly smaller, which is why I knew when I went down that first size. Now at 51 pounds those pants are starting to get loose. I imagine I'll need new pants somewhere between 60-75 pounds because they'll be too uncomfortable.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't be like me. When I dropped my first size I stupidly went out and bought a new wardrobe. Then I dropped another size and then another. I had to give away clothes with their tags still on. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. Probably a little celebrating and a little bit of doubt in myself.

I'm doing the same thing after going down one size and 15 pounds to go. Mine are stretchy and am hoping they still fit when I reach goal. It was fun to go shopping for cuter clothes - definitely a celebration!
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Depends on your size. I started off at a 20 and waited until they were falling off before pulling out my 16s which was at about 25-30 lbs. Then 15 lbs later I'm fitting into 14s.
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I had to buy new pants around 15 pounds, however the ones that I was wearing were slightly too big to begin with. Currently I have dropped one pant size and on Black Friday I bought three new pairs of jeans on sale.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just went shopping to the charity shops and bought what fit. I didnt notice much change for a while, then it happened. Because i dont have a lot of spare cash i decided to opshop instead. Its an excellent idea. Just opshop. Buy what fits.