the TRUTH about weightloss

Options

Replies

• djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My truth: you can't out train a bad diet.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    It's all just math.

When people stumble, it's because they're doing the math wrong.

Wishful thinking leads to bad math.

For my quote in my profile, I wrote: "Losing weight is easy math and hard work."

For me, the numbers don't lie. The numbers point the way to correct choices. I'm still working on the macro part of it, but I'm happy with the math I've done so far and the hard work is following behind.

The only math I enjoy is calorie counting and knitting measurements.

Whats your formula? Heres mine. Tell me if im wrong.

2900 calorie burn minimum.
    1300 calorie intake limit.

2900 (burn) - 1300 (intake) = 1600 (actual burn after intake)

1600 calorie burn = 1/2 pound burned

This is what im following so far. Never really reached this but im trying. (not far either)

I used the calculator at 1percentedge.com and played around with the numbers by trial and error.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The truth about obesity is what people don't want to hear.

It is NOT genetic.

It is NOT because you exercise too little.

It is because your hunger-satiety systems (yeah, in the brain) have been thrown off by seductive advertising and well meaning parents who stuff their kids and people who think the way to a good time is to eat.

The bad news is that this effects your stomach and when it comes to close to being empty, it sends off signals that your brain has learned to process as "Hey! Let's eat!"

The good news is that your system can be reset.

For the record, all commercial diet programs fail long-term (5 years out) as do most personal diet programs.

And you can exercise like a demon and lose weight, but when you stop it comes back. Now, I like to exercise, but I don't to think that I HAVE to exercise as the only way to lose weight.

Recognize that the fitness (read:weight loss) industry, and all the commercial diet schemes out there make billions and billions of dollars every year.

And they make it off YOUR pain and suffering.

So how do you fix it?

First, you have to get your stomach to behave. Reduce the serving size at every meal you have. Eat five times a day if you want, but don't gorge your stomach. Over time, the effective volume of your stomach will diminish and you WILL notice a difference.

As part of the same program, you have to recognize what hunger is. It is NOT your stomach needing calories. It is a combination of signals from your stomach saying it is not full, and a maladaptive neurological link that associates those sensation with anxiety and the urge to eat.

You might consider skipping breakfast completely, and eating your first meal of the day at 11 am.

Get used to being a little hungry. Maybe even skip a meal if you are busy on a project.

This is the approach that should be tried FIRST, and if you stick to it you will definitely notice a difference. You do not necessarily need to count calories. Your body in the "lean" state should steer you to the right foods to eat. And you do not necessarily need to exercise, though it is beneficial for you to do so for other reasons.

Don't kid yourself. You ALREADY have the metabolism of a naturally thin person. YOU can easily be one of those naturally thin people.

But first you have to realize that obesity is a psychological problem, helped along by our society and compounded by an uncooperative stomach.

But, of course, no one will tell you this because there is no money to be made off it.

But it is true!

Too complicated and too many villains. I am just going to skip breakfast and retrain my stomach that way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    90% of all dieter's regain weight once they "finish" the program. Why? Most programs aren't sustainable.

CONSISTENCY is how one continues to lose weight and also to maintain weight.

Weight loss is due to calorie deficit which can be achieved with or without exercise.

There are tons of diet programs that promise you'll lose weight, but they all have one thing in common..............calorie deficit. And you don't have to pay for that. You just need to track how much you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hagopianja
    hagopianja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. you don't go on a diet....you change the way you eat and they way you view food
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The only willpower I can exercise long-term is during my first meal of the day: Either I'll choose to eat something that will reduce my hunger and cravings for the rest of the day, or I'll overeat all day long.
  • KatiesNewGoals
    KatiesNewGoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1. It take a long time at the beginning! I worked out for over a month before losing the first 2 lbs.
    2. Make sure to eat enough! And eat back those exercise calories. Not doing so can lead to some unpleasant side effects! I'm happy with my loss, but have slowed it down a bit, to eat more and lose slower. :-)
    3. Dedication and will power!
    4. On the flip side, it is okay to have that holiday cookie or piece of pie. Stay within your calories and no worries. Even going over, it's OK! That's something that took me a long time to learn!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    5. It's really ok to feel hungry and not eat.

Yes! Good one!

I have to disagree with this one. Being hungry isn't necessary.

Honestly, with me, when I've lost weight, it's been when I was hungry. It's probably different with different people.

Yeah, it must be. I would have quit long ago if hunger was part of the deal.

Stages of hunger:
    1) "I could go for something to eat."
    2) "Man, I am getting hungry."
    3) "I'm starting to feel dizzy and weak."
    4) "I'm going to pass out if I don't eat something."

For me, I can go through step 1&2, but if I get there, and it isn't mealtime, then I will have a low-cal snack or wait until mealtime, depending on what I've eaten already, etc. But if I get to #3, then I'm eating something, come hell or high water. I refuse to let myself pass out from hunger. Now that I've been doing this for about 17 months, I have retrained my brain to understood the difference between hunger queues and emotional/mental "cravings."
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Yes! Good one!

Honestly, with me, when I've lost weight, it's been when I was hungry. It's probably different with different people.

Stages of hunger:

For me, I can go through step 1&2, but if I get there, and it isn't mealtime, then I will have a low-cal snack or wait until mealtime, depending on what I've eaten already, etc. But if I get to #3, then I'm eating something, come hell or high water. I refuse to let myself pass out from hunger. Now that I've been doing this for about 17 months, I have retrained my brain to understood the difference between hunger queues and emotional/mental "cravings."

Seems like there's something missing between Step 2 and 3. "I am getting hungry" to "dizzy and weak." Maybe I'm getting hungry is the same as I am hungry. If that's the case, that's where I need to be to lose weight. It's been the case for the entire 32 pounds I've lost. Again, it's what my belly tells me. And, that's where I need to allow myself to be. Some days, I don't feel that way. On those days, I eat more and don't have a calorie deficit. And, I don't lose weight. I lost 6 pounds in less than a week when I had the flu last year. I wasn't hungry then because I was sick. After I got better, I kept off the weight, went back to what I was doing before, and I'm back to "when I feel hungry, I'm losing weight." If I get dizzy and weak, yeah, I'll eat something.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Try drinking water when you get to the dizzy and hungry stage.

That should help.

But keep in mind that in a real sense you are addicted to food. And NO ONE has ever passed out from hunger. Maybe from dehydration, but not having an empty stomach.

And you body DOES NOT need the calories. And you glucose is fine.

At least try to gut it out for as long as you can before succumbing. And don't eat a lot when you do.

You have to re-wire your brain in a real sense, and it can be done. It MUST be done if you are to lose weight AND KEEP IT OFF!!

Of course, check with a doctor if you have any health issues or suspect that you do.

Oh good grief. NO.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Yes! Good one!

Stages of hunger:

Seems like there's something missing between Step 2 and 3. "I am getting hungry" to "dizzy and weak." Maybe I'm getting hungry is the same as I am hungry. If that's the case, that's where I need to be to lose weight. It's been the case for the entire 32 pounds I've lost. Again, it's what my belly tells me. And, that's where I need to allow myself to be. Some days, I don't feel that way. On those days, I eat more and don't have a calorie deficit. And, I don't lose weight. I lost 6 pounds in less than a week when I had the flu last year. I wasn't hungry then because I was sick. After I got better, I kept off the weight, went back to what I was doing before, and I'm back to "when I feel hungry, I'm losing weight." If I get dizzy and weak, yeah, I'll eat something.

That should help.

But keep in mind that in a real sense you are addicted to food. And NO ONE has ever passed out from hunger. Maybe from dehydration, but not having an empty stomach.

At least try to gut it out for as long as you can before succumbing. And don't eat a lot when you do.

You have to re-wire your brain in a real sense, and it can be done. It MUST be done if you are to lose weight AND KEEP IT OFF!!

Of course, check with a doctor if you have any health issues or suspect that you do.

Dafuq? :huh:

You do need to eat something. Our bodies don't run without food.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The smaller the deficit, the better the long term results.
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading this thread, nice sound advice...well most of it ;)
    I'm still trying to decide if my deficit is too great. Trying to do it right.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    To be clear, I can't remember ever feeling dizzy from not eating. If I'm really hungry, I eat a snack. You don't want to be too hungry.

I think we're discussing semantics in this thread concerning hunger.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Yes! Good one!

Stages of hunger:

That should help.

/died
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes! Good one!

Stages of hunger:

What's missing between Step 2 & 3? MEALTIME

Personally, I've found that I simply had to reset my brain, so to speak. I spent 9 months losing over 70 pounds, then I spent 5 months maintaining while logging, Now I have spent the past 4 months maintaining without logging. I am now able to listen to my body and respond to appropriate queues. :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    To be clear, I can't remember ever feeling dizzy from not eating. If I'm really hungry, I eat a snack. You don't want to be too hungry.

I think we're discussing semantics in this thread concerning hunger.

I am not sure what "too hungry" means.

But if you learn to live with just plain hunger, then I think you get the picture and will have positive results.

What is that even supposed to mean? Are you in Ethiopia?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That should help.

Speaking of contacting health professionals.....

Have you seen one about your E.D. because you sound like you have a poor relationship with food. My first experience of someone passing out from hunger was in 7th grade. A girl in my class passed out, turns out she was anorexic.

See my post above about how well I've been maintaining by doing the opposite of this. :flowerforyou:
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

That should help.

Speaking of contacting health professionals.....

Have you seen one about your E.D. because you sound like you have a poor relationship with food. My first experience of someone passing out from hunger was in 7th grade. A girl in my class passed out, turns out she was anorexic.

See my post above about how well I've been maintaining by doing the opposite of this. :flowerforyou:

People with diabetes and/or hypoglycemia can pass out from hunger, so can a healthy person who has been fasting too long. With a healthy person, you aren't going to see it happen often, but it is possible.

On the other hand, losing weight does not have to include going hungry.