What carbs should I DEFINITELY stay away from?

Options
All I hear is that carbs are the enemy to weight loss. However, I will never NOT eat carbs. I know that carbs like oatmeal, quinoa, and sweet potato are loaded with health benefits so I eat those freely. I also know that fruits=carbs and I am NOT giving up fruit (I need them to make my kale smoothies palatable plus, hello, they're delicious)

Could someone help me out with identifying the really really bad or questionable carbs I should stay away from?

know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you. But do I have to all together aim to stop eating things like corn (as in popcorn, corn on the cob, or corn tortilla chips), whole wheat bread (with flax seeds), Kashi cereal, beans (I LOVE BEANS) etc. in order to maximize my weight loss. Or is moderation key?

The reason I ask is because my brother (who is FANATICAL about whatever diet he's on) cut literally ALL carbs (even fruit) and is thinner than ever.

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally speaking, there is no specific food that is going to stop you from reaching your goals. There are no evil weight-gaining inducing foods.

That being said, if you have a trigger food (like tortilla chips for me) that you know will cause you to crave more/binge/not meet your goals for the day, then it is probably a good idea to stay away from that food.

If it fits your daily goals and you enjoy it, eat it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the only carbs you should stay away from are those on someone elses plate... cos stealing food is rude!

IIFYM, a doughnut wont do you any harm if it fits you calorie goal... carbs arent evil unless you have medical problems of course.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad for you and are not enemy to weight loss, that's a nonsense. For your body all carbs are the same, table sugar is the same carbs as sweet potato, once it is digested and in your blood. Only difference is that carbs like white bread or sugar is simply an empty calories for most part, but carbs like fruit also has some vitamins in them. But in the end of a day you could mix table sugar with vitamin pills and would have just as good carbs as in fruit what contains same vitamins.

The reason why he has lost so much weight is prolly cos it made him easier to be in calories deficit, since carb rich foods are very calorie dense. So excluding them from your diet it will be easier to feel full while not eating too much calories. That is why this method works for so many people. Also you lose a lot of water weight when you don't ate carbs what is an illusion of sudden weight loss. But it's still it's all about calories in vs calories out.

Like I said, there are no bad or good carbs. But if you are going to exclude any carb then exclude those who are simply empty calories - table sugar, white bread, cereal, at least most of it, is full of table sugar and white floulr That being said... you don't have to.
  • eugovogue
    Options

That being said, if you have a trigger food (like tortilla chips for me) that you know will cause you to crave more/binge/not meet your goals for the day, then it is probably a good idea to stay away from that food.

Tortilla chips are def a trigger for me. I can sit down and eat half a bag with some salsa. I lie to myself and say its okay since the chips are blue corn (better for you) and since the salsa has tomatoes--LOL. I will need to stop buying them all together. Thanks!
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Tortilla chips are def a trigger for me. I can sit down and eat half a bag with some salsa. I lie to myself and say its okay since the chips are blue corn (better for you) and since the salsa has tomatoes--LOL. I will need to stop buying them all together. Thanks!

Yeah. I think the important thing is, while you are losing, teach yourself what an appropriate portion size is. I'm focusing on mindful eating/being aware of when I'm full. Once I feel in control, I'll feel ready to introduce those types of foods back into my diet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat about 200 grams of carbs per day. I don't believe in cutting out whole food groups.

Instead I focus on getting enough protein and fat, and getting a few servings of veggies. After that I fill in my calories however I like. It's usually with baked goods, because carbs are delicious.

If you have trigger foods, as was mentioned above, it makes sense to cut those foods out for awhile. Otherwise, hit your calorie goal, macros, and micros, and enjoy.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just got done trying the low carb thing and felt like I was living in a fog!!! Just watch your calories and trigger/binge foods and you'll be just fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't the devil. The reason you brother is thinner than ever is because he has inadvertently created a calorie deficit by eliminating carbs...many carbs like potatoes, pastas, rices and grains, etc are calorie dense.

Also, carbohydrates require more water for processing and are also converted to glycogen...so when people cut carbs they also lose a lot of water and deplete their glycogens stores...all of which have weight. As soon as they start eating realistically again, they replenish their glycogen stores and pretty much put on a good 5-10 Lbs practically overnight with water and glycogen.

Eat a flippin' balanced diet that consists of a lot of nutrient dense foods and stop overcomplicating that which is not complicated in the least.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll give you white rice and white bread but white potatoes are actualy quite nutritious, especially if you eat them with skins on. They just get a bad rap because of how they're usually served, with tons of butter, salt, etc The sweet potato may have more vitamins but the white potato has more minerals (iron, potassium). They both have about the same amount of carbs, the sweet potato just has less net carbs due to a slightly higher fiber content.

Ultimately, as others have pointed out, there are no evil foods. Eat what you like as long as it fits your calorie and/or macro goals.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you.

I wouldn't say these items are "terrible" for you, just not as nutritionally dense as other choices. In moderation, these can compliment any diet. And, if you are eating white potatoes, be sure to eat the skins - they are tasty and have some good nutrients.

When I was actively losing weight, I would usually limit my starches to one per meal - not for any particular diet reason, but mainly because I had a smaller calorie budget and needed to hit my macros, so multiple starchy carbs would take too many of my calories that I needed elsewhere.

ETA: Of course if you don't like a particular item, such as white rice, you don't need to eat it.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    the only carbs you should stay away from are those on someone elses plate... cos stealing food is rude!

IIFYM, a doughnut wont do you any harm if it fits you calorie goal... carbs arent evil unless you have medical problems of course.

^^ This.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    The only carbs you 'need' to cut out are those to which you have a food allergy or sensitivity, or those which you know from experience cause you to binge. The latter could be anything from bread to cookies to alcohol, none of which are 'bad foods' unless they trigger you to eat at higher caloric levels than what is healthy for you.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs, or really most foods, in the right amounts. Carbs actually convert to adipose much less easily than dietary fat. The problem is that most people load up on empty carbs and jack up their insulin with their food choices.

Get 1-1.5 grams of fat per lb of lean body mass, or 1g per lb of bodyweight if that's easier math
    Get .4-.5'ish grams of fat per lb of body weight
    Fill the rest with carbs. Try to make lots of them fruits and veggies and dairy (unless you have a problem with dairy)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    A large russet white potato has about 165 calories, 50% of daily Vitamin C, 25% daily fiber, 33% potassium, 10% iron, and 5 grams of protein. Not the best choice for pre-diabetics or diabetics but a nutritious food that many other people can enjoy.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from Weber downdrafts unless you REALLY know how to tune them. They are so temperamental. You'll end up spending more time under the hood than behind the wheel and no one likes that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you.

No they're not....they can all be part of a nutritious and balanced diet. White potatoes are chalk full of minerals and vitamins...there is absolutely nothing wrong with white potatoes. You're just buying into the latest and greatest dietary boogie man myths...stop reading stupid **** and eat a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods....last I checked, a potato was a pretty nutrient dense whole food.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I want to know what's wrong with white rice. It's more easily digestible than brown, and can be less disruptive to your gut. I eat white rice sometimes as I need carbs but don't need any more fibre.

Some people do well with less carbs, others not so well. It's personal. I like lots of carbs, and at the moment they help me achieve my goals. I eat plenty - fruit, vegies, occasionally rice, a little honey. Sometimes I include sprouted grains or rye bread but prefer vegies as they aren't as calorie dense and I can eat more of them..
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Your body does not view your nutrient intake within the context of individual food items. There is no such thing as a food that is inherently “good” or “bad”
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want within your calorie goal. What you want to stay away is what has too many calories and doesn't fill you up enough, pretty much, and what fits in that category varies from one person to the other.